Why become a member? ×

Peavey to auction off 'Excess Stock' this week

MonkeyTrick

My invoice arrived last night. On top of the anticipated buyers premium/bidspotter fee/VAT etc. is a line item for "internet surcharge". Now I've scanned the terms of sale pages again and I can't find any reference to this charge.

Granted it's only a tenner, but I'm inclined to phone someone up and have a row about sharp practises. A tenner added to all 1300-odd lots is a nice earner....

See someone is already selling some trace combos for £750 on the selling groups on facebook.
I hope he makes his money back, but it is quite old hat heavy stuff now that they carried on a bit too long and Mark bass totally hammers it for the same money and weighs about a third.

I was a bit gumpy - no, very grumpy. First of all, a couple of exploratory bids earlier in the week were initially shown as not making the reserve, so I thought great, I've seen something I want more. Then, in the last half hour, the reserves on the items I no longer wanted were lifted, showing me as in the lead. So I thought balls, can they drop the reserve just before the bidding ends, and would that mean my bid is 'live' again?

But then the site went down (not my connection!) in the last 5 mins and I couldn't bid on anything. A friend (for whom the site also went down) who was initially told by email he'd won a desk at a giveaway price then received an email saying due to the fault the auction was null and would be rerun. I got an email saying the auction would be rerun too, but not specifying if it would all all lots, some lots, or different lots. I replied and asked, but no reply.

And then it turns out some people had their auctions honoured. If you ask me, I think the whole thing was a massive scam or a massive cock up. If some people got stuff they wanted, I'm glad but, otherwise, I think it's grossly dishonest of either Peavey, the auctioneers, or of the website. Or all of them.

Bah.

I got an e-mail last nigh apologising for the website going tits up in the last few minutes.But having watched some of the, er, [i]robust [/i]bidding leading up to the crash, the outage may have saved people from themselves.

Re: reserves. I've no idea why, if you have a reserve on a lot, that is not indicated as the first minimum bid on the item. I was able to note the reserve of the couple of lots I was interested in by speaking to one of the auction helpers at the site on Saturday. FWIW: [All TE gear] 1518C (£90), 1028H (£90), AH600-7 (£230), AH600-12 (£250).

I guess auctions to be re-run may be those which extended under the 10 minute rule, where that extension overlapped with the outage. For instance, my winning bid on the AH600-12 wasn't challenged after I placed it on Monday evening, so I guess that is why my winning bid stands?

Anyhoo, all paid up and off to collect it this morning!

I got a confirmation email that I'd got all the lots I had been bidding on, but with guitar and PA stuff I wasn't really in a bidding war with anyone - none of it received other bids in the last hour and I didn't pay much over the reserve price on anything.

Will be picking it up on Tuesday next week but feel like I got some real bargains (subject to being tested and confirmed working). It's enough gear to cover PA duties in a mid size pub/bar and rigs for 2 guitarists plus extra cabs to keep in our practice room, if one or two repairs are needed it's still going to be worth what I spent.

Peavey doesn't do a particularly good job of marketing their gear in the UK, don't expect top end sound quality but it's atleast gig-worthy and rugged. Have a 20 year old VTM-60 guitar amp head at home that is bulletproof, loud and the tone's quite alright when you get it set up well.

[quote name='Bradwell' timestamp='1416854378' post='2614341']
Spent ages looking round on Saturday. Spoke to the staff who said Peavey are finding a UK distributor and shutting down the warehouse, will be a few weeks before they open a new repair centre but the impression I got was that the majority of stuff will be working. Lots was hire for festival-back line so it spends 8 months a year sitting about

General rule: amps in low lot numbers below about 400 are tatty and best avoided. Lot 460 (VB3 amp) is 120V so anybody tempted should avoid that one.

Most of the Trace gear is shooting up in price but to me it all looked in good condition visually.

Tested lot 1261 (VB-3 Michael Anthony signature + 2 cabs) myself with one of the 5-string basses, not my style as the head looks a bit tacky with the decals but it works alright. Probably would sound quite nice with a Fender P-bass but I the Peavey bass was awful.
[/quote]
Great glad it tested out ok, and it looks fine and all works great sat in my dining room, lol .. I won it for a stupid low price including the fees and its getting its first outing at my next gig :gas: [url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu0pgil5p3don5z/vb%20ma%20rig.jpg?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu0pgil5p3don5z/vb%20ma%20rig.jpg?dl=0[/url]

Edited by movwkd

[quote name='movwkd' timestamp='1417360612' post='2619532']
Great glad it tested out ok, and it looks fine and all works great sat in my dining room, lol .. I won it for a stupid low price including the fees and its getting its first outing at my next gig :gas: [url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu0pgil5p3don5z/vb%20ma%20rig.jpg?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox....%20rig.jpg?dl=0[/url]
[/quote]

Congratulations, glad a fellow Basschatter got a real bargain on it. Let me know how the gig goes.

Picked up my equipment yesterday, no pictures as I was busy testing everything and ordering band-mates about. It all works very well and apart from minor scuffs in Tolex on the cab, everything is like new.

More equipment than we realistically need at the moment and for the price paid - absolute bargain. Would suggest anybody in the east midlands area should keep an eye on the next auction. There won't be as much gear being sold but it'd be a good opportunity to pick up a back-up amp, FOH gear, cabs etc.

I was bidding on a few items and was winning on all of them. With 10 mins to go the site crashed.
At the end i thought i had won all the items. However i was out bid on most things at the death, which may have been a blessing in disguise as Mrs BA would of had a sh*t fit when she found out. I did win a powered Peavey XR 1212 Desk which was handy as the desck in our studio died a while ago. According to the Peavey site these retail at £925, i managed to get this for about £170 all in.
When my invoice arrived i discovered i had also won 9 yes 9 Trace Elliot footswitches. Went down on Friday [ left at 5am ] picked the stuff up, all seems brand new. The only problem is only two of the footswitches had cables with them and i cannot find where to buy the cables from. They appear to be din 9 pin cables. Anyone one have any ideas where i can pick some up?

Just heard from my son in law. He bought a Trace 1215 combo £240. Sadly on switch on there was plenty of smoke from both the amp and the drive unit.

Slightly on the up side they have agreed a replacement.

Edit

Replacement was a new one. Happy days.

Edited by gelfin

Just remember the add on is 41% to whatever you buy , I was very very lucky that the site crashed out, which is no doubt why I won my auction , ill try it again next time though its well worth a punt, just need to find a 4 button peavey footswitch now and no doubt they wont have any lol