Why become a member? ×

Band finally got a demo recorded...

Cameronj279

So my band finally got something recorded. Although it is just a demo so the production isn't the greatest!

anyways, here's the tune! - https://soundcloud.com/goon-and-the-kings/dark-side

All comments, criticism and general sarcasm are appreciated!

If you liked the tune there's a Facebook page made (with bugger all liked as we don't even have a logo yet! (how professional...))!

https://www.facebook.com/goon.and.the.kings

Cheers :)

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1416524723' post='2611266']...
All comments, criticism and general sarcasm are appreciated!...
[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for..! Being an official Old Fogey, my taste, or lack of it, very often instils an instant 'Kiss of Death' as soon as I claim to have liked a work. Sorry, then, but I liked this a lot. A very clear construction, arrangement, execution and recording, with everything in place. It escapes, however, from coming across as 'slick'. I'm reminded of Jim Morrison in the vocal delivery (yes, I'm [i]that [/i]old..! :blush:[size=4] [/size][size=4]), which is not a Bad Thing. Nicely placed guitars and bass; I'd have put a tad more 'bottom' in there, but as I'm listening with a headset, I could well be in error. Special mention for the drums, upon which I often pay special attention. A drummer in a group I used to tour with (Danny Boy...) had a very similar, sparse use of 'blast beats' as in the intro etc, and both the playing and the production of the drums seemed faultless to me, and very tastefully interesting.[/size]
My apologies, again, for liking the track, as I'm pretty certain that it'll do you no good to have my 'Seal of Approval'. A shame, as you're worth more. Well done, chaps, hearty and sincere congratulations to all involved. B)[size=4] [/size]

Seal of approval from anybody is a good thing in my mind Douglas! Thanks for the nice comment :) I also do know what you mean about the low end but I found when I added any extra it got a bit too muddy within the mix...but then I am totally useless at this whole recording/mixing malarky!

Edited by Cameronj279

Cool! Like it :) Looking forward to listening to it at home through speakers rather than 'phones. If this is your first recording effort then good job - everyone resisted the temptation to overplay for the tape (which was what happened when my first band got their first shot at studio/recording time many moons ago, to no benfit of the songs) and the production is plenty good enough for a demo imo. Hope to hear more from Goon and the Kings soon!