Why become a member? ×

TKS now in Swindon

scoobystig

Well on Sunday i duly took my new rig off to band practice, so here goes a simple review from a simple person !!

Tone hammer 500 and 2x TKS S112's playing an active fender precision lyte

This week we were in a large hall, so very loud drums and 2x line 6 combos, we are a heavy rock band playing metallica and iron maiden sort of songs, so quite loud

I must admit I am a just plug it and play type of person and don't particularly chase sounds

I went with victors suggestions of all the knobs of the eg at 12, I put the drive around to About 9 o clock and put the gain at around 10.30, more or less pointing at the G of gain

I then waited for the drummer to start bashing and duly moved the master round to where I though it needed to be, once again at about 12 o clock
The guitarist kicked in and away we went into a bit of ozzy

I had my wireless pack on and so went to he back of the hall to listen, OMG I went straight back to the amp and wound the master down, the punch it was delivering at the back of the hall was unlike what I had experienced before, very clear but with plenty of bottom end
I ended up with the master pointing at the M of master and it was still very evident in the mix, so it certainly doesn't lack power

I have come from a peavey 15" black widow and so the clarity offered by these cabs was quite remarkable, very nice thick low notes but a real shine to higher notes, especially a popped octave note

My bass is a precision lyte and so I have an active EQ on board with both a P and a J and winding back and forth with the blend pot really made a difference nice thick notes with the P to growly mid tones on the J
To be honest I never really then touched the amp as I was so happy with what I had, my chorus pedal sounded lovely through it especially wound back onto the J a little bit

Winding the drive up then starts to add some overdrive to it where upon reaching 2-3 o clock we had some real nice distortion going on for some power chord action

So there we go, I'm not really sure if this has helped anyone as im not sure I know what i m talking about 😀😀

But as far as I'm concerned I am well chuffed with the rig, the guys at bass gear and the whole experience, to me it's a massive step up from my peavey BW and a massive difference in what I'm now carrying into a venue and in the car. The sound to my ears is what I want from my bass playing, I'm not a huge connoisseur of tone, i just want a tone that suits my playing, suits the music I play and can be heard by the people in the pub, with this rig I feel I have achieved on all 3

Will it satisfy me, 😊 for now but can you ever really cure GAS😉

Actually I would love another precision lyte 😀😀

Edited by scoobystig

[quote name='scoobystig' timestamp='1419291194' post='2638539']
I'm not a huge connoisseur of tone, I just want a tone that suits my playing, suits the music I play and can be heard...
[/quote]

I think that's what everybody wants, isn't it? Nicely done. :)

Edited by discreet

Great review Steve!

If you're playing this kind of rock then it's definitely worth playing with that drive control. Anything beyond about 15:00 gets a bit 'tizzy' but up around 12:00' to 14:00 sounds great.

I think the S112's work really well with the TH500 and the vertical config helps massively in hearing yourself onstage.

It's always nice when you can go out and listen to yourself and feel like you need to turn down rather than discovering your 'great' onstage sound is like mush at the back of the room!

Edited by molan

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1419706555' post='2642121']
This is the exact rig Ill have once my speakers arrive.
Glad to hear you're so happy with it.
I don't play too much rock stuff, but nice to know it can go there.
I'm playing mostly Motown stuff at the minute, so I hope it performs just as well!
I think it will :)
[/quote]

I've just decided that a TH500 is next, I'm playing lots of motown at the moment too. Let me know how you get on when your cabs arrive!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1419783208' post='2642666']
TH500 works really well with the S112's. That's our standard demo rig in the shop :)
[/quote]

Indeed.... I think it would be hard to get a bad sound and if you did, it wouldn't be those bits
of kit at fault.. IMO :lol:

[quote name='timmyo' timestamp='1419773491' post='2642580']

How did the gig go?

What band are you with (I'm a fellow Swindon dweller)
[/quote]

It was well...... Superb, the sound was brilliant, in fact the best comment was from my wife who simply said " I could actually hear what you were playing tonight" which I think just about sums it up really

Plenty of low down grunt, but clarity that punches through the mix with ease

Gain was at 9 o'clock and master was at 12 o'clock, everything else was pretty much at 12 with a minor tweak here and there

My band is Alter Chaos - www.alterchaos.co.uk

Facebook link is in my signature (we are just changing singers this week so no gigs planned, but booking will commence shortly)

[quote name='scoobystig' timestamp='1419968952' post='2644484']
It was well...... Superb, the sound was brilliant, in fact the best comment was from my wife who simply said " I could actually hear what you were playing tonight" which I think just about sums it up really
[/quote]

if she didn't add "and I wished I couldn't", that's a cool bonus too :P