Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='380305' date='Jan 14 2009, 03:02 PM']Right now my wall of Wals looks like this (apart from my Hybrid Pro I fretless). Sorry wombatboter, couldn't resist Jensenmann's MK III six-string - we just swapped - MK II Midi 4 for MK III 6 fretless and agreed on swapping back occasionally if need be ;)
So, here's another challenge for the short-fingered player... I reckon you'd even be able to surf with this bass :P
tc[/quote]

Six string fretless..... OH MY GOD!!!!! :) :huh: :angry: :P :o :o :lol: That IS awesome!!!!!!!! Oh my.....

[quote name='overwater#1' post='380821' date='Jan 14 2009, 10:55 PM']I still have it! It's phenomenal Nik.. oo its nice!! ;) I could do with looking at getting the electronics serviced sometime though, as there is still a very slight distortion when playing hard. Its nice to play light sometimes though!! Lovellly sound.. infact, im going to do some practic now!! :P[/quote]
I have a copy of the circuit diagram for it if you need it?

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='386112' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:15 PM']Cheers! I wish it wasn't THAT heavy! BTW I'm waiting for a used Ritter Classic fiver to arrive this week and it's only going to weigh about 4 kgs:[/quote]
Nice!

Does that mean you can sell me the Wal 5er for 50p? £1? ;)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Merton' post='389430' date='Jan 23 2009, 12:21 PM']Nice!

Does that mean you can sell me the Wal 5er for 50p? £1? ;)[/quote]

Good one! :P But seriously, as soon as I get the 4-string MK II by Paul Herman, I'm going to sell this one again. The tone and playability kills me, but for me it really is a studio instrument because of its weight.
Any news on Paul's status quo on the WAL production by the way?
Cheers
Oliver

[attachment=19156:mark_wal_pics_002.jpg][attachment=19158:mark_wal_pics_003.jpg]There are some really spectacular Wals on this thread. Mine is not such a looker, but it is very special to me. Bought it Feb 83 from the man himself, with money left me by my Grandad - folks expected me to buy a car but I knew what I wanted. It's mahogany core with elm facings. Cost me £600 for cash including case - still got the handwritten receipt. Thought of selling it when times were hard with a young family 15 years ago but my wife wouldn't let me - I still thank her for that. It's absolutely wonderful and now I'm looking for a fretted companion for it - it will be my 50th birthday present. Another Wal will be too pricey - what would you guys look at instead these days? I've never played a fiver but wouldn't mind having a go. There's a gorgeous looking Shuker single cut 5 on this site for £900 - seems a good deal?

[quote name='fletchbass' post='390442' date='Jan 24 2009, 03:23 PM'][attachment=19156:mark_wal_pics_002.jpg][attachment=19158:mark_wal_pics_003.jpg]There are some really spectacular Wals on this thread. Mine is not such a looker, but it is very special to me. Bought it Feb 83 from the man himself, with money left me by my Grandad - folks expected me to buy a car but I knew what I wanted. It's mahogany core with elm facings. Cost me £600 for cash including case - still got the handwritten receipt. Thought of selling it when times were hard with a young family 15 years ago but my wife wouldn't let me - I still thank her for that. It's absolutely wonderful and now I'm looking for a fretted companion for it - it will be my 50th birthday present. Another Wal will be too pricey - what would you guys look at instead these days? I've never played a fiver but wouldn't mind having a go. There's a gorgeous looking Shuker single cut 5 on this site for £900 - seems a good deal?[/quote]

I think it looks nice, there is something almost classical looking about a wal fretless, i'm in a dilema at the moment as i'm waiting for paul to get back to me about building a 6 string fretless wal & a guy switzerland who has a fretted wal six is interested in a deal for my 89 warwick thumb nt6 + £1100 witch i'm tempted to do but i'm really after a fretless so i might wait ??

Allo!

I used to be a Wal-nut some years ago; I've owned three Wals over the years, the following counts as two of those! (pic courtesy of the superb Wal database site [url="http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal"]http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal[/url] - taken by Jon Vanaman).

I sold it to a good friend as it was very heavy and the flightcase kept getting mistaken by the local Harrier pilots at Wittering as an aircraft carrier...! Should have kept it in the collection really as it would be worth quite a bit by now - shame it wasn't a natural finish. Sounded fantastic - the controls were as per a regular Wal bass; the pickup balance pot was used to pan between the two necks and, if set centrally, provided some interesting effects in terms of sympathetic vibrations from the neck that wasn't being played!

Cheers!

Nick

[quote name='fletchbass' post='390442' date='Jan 24 2009, 03:23 PM']Mine is not such a looker, but it is very special to me. Bought it Feb 83 from the man himself, with money left me by my Grandad - folks expected me to buy a car but I knew what I wanted. It's mahogany core with elm facings. Cost me £600 for cash including case - still got the handwritten receipt. Thought of selling it when times were hard with a young family 15 years ago but my wife wouldn't let me - I still thank her for that.[/quote]

Heartwarming in so many ways - the bass looks gorgeous to me and your wife is clearly very special

Thanks - and yes, she is. She knows I want a fretted and she wants to buy me a special one for my 50th birthday in a year's time. She got worried when she saw me trying an ok but nothing special job in a guitar shop and had to tell me her plans to stop me buying it. Now I've got a year to choose it. ;)

[quote name='walbassist' post='396824' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:09 PM']Great looker Spoombung, but that body looks non-standard ?[/quote]

Yep, that's right. The bass was modified from the original Wal standard fretless. I requested a Fender shaped body and Pete also trimmed down the neck to narrower than jazz width.

Used to look like this:

• 4 months later...

You know what they say about buses, not one for ages then two come along at the same time. I've been longing for a Wal for most of the 30 years I've dabbled with the bass, then I bought two in a week. Here they are...

Both MkIIIs, one fretted, the other fretless.
The LH one is W28102, as previously owned by 'malcthebass' on here.
The RH one is W5398, as previously owned by 'mateybass' on walbassesnaturally, and originally bought by RonC of the same.

Both bodies are American Walnut facings/Mahogany core. The fretted one has a rosewood F/board and a gloss polyester finish, the fretless and Ebony 'board and satin/matt finish.

Both are a dream come true and credits to their previous owners.

Niall

[quote name='niallf' post='530085' date='Jul 1 2009, 11:03 PM']You know what they say about buses, not one for ages then two come along at the same time. I've been longing for a Wal for most of the 30 years I've dabbled with the bass, then I bought two in a week
Niall[/quote]

Is you very,very,very rich? :)

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob