Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='overwater#1' post='364521' date='Dec 27 2008, 11:24 PM']Thanks for the pic! Thats a stunning bass!!! :)[/quote]

Thank's,
i originaly bought it fretted & had martin peterson at the bass gallery relace the whole fingerbaord with an ebony fretless one,
i just wish i could buy it back but i have no idea who owns it now.

fretless wal's just sound awsome!! i need another one, maybe a five or six string if i could find one.

[quote name='walbassist' post='255271' date='Aug 5 2008, 11:04 AM']You asked for it....

My Mk III was one of the last two basses Pete made. It was very special for a number of reasons, not least because I supplied the facings he used (picked up on a ski-ing holiday in Vermont). This is the only spalted maple Wal in the world.

*snip*

Enjoy![/quote]

Don't forget my offer :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='372622' date='Jan 6 2009, 03:48 PM']Very nice![/quote]

Thank you!

Wals have been my main basses, and mostly the fretless Mark II, since 1991. Currently I'm using the Mark IIIs more as they are lighter and easier to handle for longer periods.

[quote name='AndroWal' post='372700' date='Jan 7 2009, 06:26 AM']Thank you!

Wals have been my main basses, and mostly the fretless Mark II, since 1991. Currently I'm using the Mark IIIs more as they are lighter and easier to handle for longer periods.[/quote]

Hiya
If you want to trade, I could offer you my sixstring Mach III fretless in exchange for your fivestring Mach II. Let me know if you´re interested. I think I posted pictures of mine earlier in this thread.
cheers
Jens

Edited by jensenmann

[quote name='jensenmann' post='372817' date='Jan 7 2009, 02:37 AM']Hiya
If you want to trade, I could offer you my sixstring Mach III fretless in exchange for your fivestring Mach II. Let me know if you´re interested. I think I posted pictures of mine earlier in this thread.
cheers
Jens[/quote]

Jens,

Thank you for the offer.

I think my Wals will be instruments I hand-down to the next generation!

I am thinking about a couple of Wal 6s and am on the list to have them made by Paul Herman. I am awaiting pricing info, etc.

My thinking goes back-and-forth about 6s and whether I really need or want them. The fretted would be great for chord-playing and both just for range and ecomomy of movement, but then I think...hmmm...I can do just about all of it on my 5s. Also, once comfortable and used to the 6s, would I want to play my 5s?

What is your experience with this?

Best,

Andro

[quote name='AndroWal' post='373771' date='Jan 8 2009, 06:41 AM']Jens,

Thank you for the offer.

I think my Wals will be instruments I hand-down to the next generation!

I am thinking about a couple of Wal 6s and am on the list to have them made by Paul Herman. I am awaiting pricing info, etc.

My thinking goes back-and-forth about 6s and whether I really need or want them. The fretted would be great for chord-playing and both just for range and ecomomy of movement, but then I think...hmmm...I can do just about all of it on my 5s. Also, once comfortable and used to the 6s, would I want to play my 5s?

What is your experience with this?

Best,

Andro[/quote]

I´m playing so much more on my fretted MachII-5 that swapping to the 6string feels strange to me. I´d prefer to have the same handling for fretted and fretless. For solo noodling the 6th string is great, though. Especially on this particular instrument. It sings.

cheers
Jens

In an effort to be helpful, if any of you are experiencing difficulties with space or are considering going travelling etc, I would be perfectly willing to look after anyone's Wal Mk2 5-string Fretless free of charge for as long as you like. I would, of course, use it in order to ensure that the electronics don't seize up.

Please PM me if I can be of any assitance ;).

Right now my wall of Wals looks like this (apart from my Hybrid Pro I fretless). Sorry wombatboter, couldn't resist Jensenmann's MK III six-string - we just swapped - MK II Midi 4 for MK III 6 fretless and agreed on swapping back occasionally if need be ;)
So, here's another challenge for the short-fingered player... I reckon you'd even be able to surf with this bass :P
tc

Edited by spiritchaser

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='380305' date='Jan 14 2009, 04:02 PM']Right now my wall of Wals looks like this (apart from my Hybrid Pro I fretless). Sorry wombatboter, couldn't resist Jensenmann's MK III six-string - we just swapped - MK II Midi 4 for MK III 6 fretless and agreed on swapping back occasionally if need be ;)
So, here's another challenge for the short-fingered player... I reckon you'd even be able to surf with this bass :P
tc[/quote]

No problem, Oliver....I change basses so much that I totally understand. The midi-Wal is not the easiest thing to master and certainly involves a huge challenge. I was not able to use it in a band situation. Sixstring is too difficult for me but good luck with your collection !
Give my regards to your charming girlfriend too...!

[quote name='wombatboter' post='380443' date='Jan 14 2009, 06:06 PM']No problem, Oliver....I change basses so much that I totally understand. The midi-Wal is not the easiest thing to master and certainly involves a huge challenge. I was not able to use it in a band situation. Sixstring is too difficult for me but good luck with your collection !
Give my regards to your charming girlfriend too...![/quote]

Believe me, your Midibass is in good hands. I´m totally in love with it. It´s like a dream has come true. I´ve been looking for a Wal Midibass ever since they have been released. At the beginning I couldn´t afford one and later they stopped making them. But my heart aches quite a bit because the sixstring Oliver got from me in return for the Midibass is a wonderful instrument with a killer tone. I fear now I need to get a Wal fretless again ;)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='379976' date='Jan 14 2009, 09:16 AM']I keep looking at that sunburst Pro2e in your avatar Matt; lovely stuff![/quote]

I still have it! It's phenomenal Nik.. oo its nice!! ;) I could do with looking at getting the electronics serviced sometime though, as there is still a very slight distortion when playing hard. Its nice to play light sometimes though!! Lovellly sound.. infact, im going to do some practic now!! :P