Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 19/02/2020 at 10:27, Bilbo said:

Here you go. Me playing my Wal with some dep guy on guitar. The lovely part of the story is that the last time I played with the drummer on this gig, a guy called Gary Wilcox, was in Cardiff 25 years previously and I had been playing the same bass on that gig.

Etheridge.jpg

Berlimey! Is that Mr Etheridge? Top guitar player.

I was turning old demo cassettes into mp3s over the weekend and this came up. I am pretty sure that this is the first time I ever recorded with my Wal (1986?). I vividly remember taking it to a rehearsal soon after I bought it. As a bonus, the track features singer Grant Nicholas from Feeder and, on guitar and keyboards, Brian Sperber, producer, engineer and arranger for the likes of Moby, Ric Ocasek, Whitney Houston and Blues Traveller. 

Edited by Bilbo

• 3 weeks later...

Wal 4/Mk1 Custom ... finally got around (locked-down) to 'sorting' the mini-pickguard removal on my Wal. You can still see the 2 small holes (filled/stained) and the original thumb-wear that the p/g was added to cover. It's far from perfect but 'OK' (?) and the bass looks more 'right' now. The only issue being that I do miss the handy, mini-thumbrest that was fitted between the pickups (last 2 photos show the bass as it was). The SKB freedom case is also a good fit for the bass, until I can source an original :-

MVC-120S (2).JPG

MVC-121S.JPG

MVC-122S.JPG

MVC-123S.JPG

MVC-126S.JPG

MVC-185S.JPG

MVC-197S.JPG

• Like 5

On 21/05/2020 at 06:17, eubassix said:

Wal 4/Mk1 Custom ... finally got around (locked-down) to 'sorting' the mini-pickguard removal on my Wal. You can still see the 2 small holes (filled/stained) and the original thumb-wear that the p/g was added to cover. It's far from perfect but 'OK' (?) and the bass looks more 'right' now. The only issue being that I do miss the handy, mini-thumbrest that was fitted between the pickups (last 2 photos show the bass as it was). The SKB freedom case is also a good fit for the bass, until I can source an original :-

Did you see that there is an early 80's case on talkbass? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alas, no longer mine, but thought I'd better record my ownership here, for no particular reason.

I bought the fretless in 1988 from ABC Music in Oxford – it started life as a fretless and was fretted in the first year – Pete confirmed this to me when I took it over for some fettling of the electronics back in 2007. I had it returned to it's original fretless state by Paul Herman via Charlie Chandler's just after Pete passed away.

I wonder where they are now?

Fretted is W2446 and the fretless is W2516

😥

Wals on wall.jpg

• Like 4