Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='kulit17' timestamp='1437132644' post='2823845']
Here's a new family portrait

[/quote]

I saw that on talkbass... great photo :)

Far left Mk1 fretless or the purpleheart sixer would be my favourites, although that green MK3 is very tasty :o.

Any more on the horizon?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437132755' post='2823847'] I saw that on talkbass... great photo :) Far left Mk1 fretless or the purpleheart sixer would be my favourites, although that green MK3 is very tasty :o. Any more on the horizon? [/quote]

Just a build that I have with Paul due sometime towards the end if next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='PJS' timestamp='1435895652' post='2813383']
That's an incredible-looking bass! Very nice!! I must remember that mine will arrive some day. :)

I am puzzled by one thing that you mentioned, as a general question: I wonder how they manage to keep the doors open if they only roll out 2-3 basses per month, while supporting two employees? I'm guessing that the rent must be quite affordable.
[/quote]

Paul and the guys also do all the workshop stuff for Charlie Chandler's place in Hampton so that probably offsets the costs of the (pretty modest if picturesque) accommodation.

And, yes, WOW that violet stain is something special!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437123013' post='2823714']
Received my new MK1 fretless with Violet stained sycamore facings last night and I couldn't be happier with it. Like my new Ziricote MK3 it is everything I expected and hoped it would be. I usually put labella flats on fretless basses by default but this sounds so good with the nickle rounds it has on it anyway I'm going to keep them for a while (who needs a pristine fingerboard anyway :blink:).

The new basses these last couple of weeks are the culmination of several years of trying just about everything out there in the bass world, buying, selling, trading etc. I have settled on Wal basses and I'm now down to owning two instruments that cover all my playing needs.

I still have GAS obviously, that'll never go away, but I could quite happily never own another bass for the rest of my days and I am very confident that the two I now have could handle any situation I'm likely to find myself in.

Anyway... time for the obligatory garden table pics.

I'm away this weekend but I will try and do some recordings in the near future for this and the MK3.
[/quote]

Gorgeous 😍

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1438967043' post='2839086']
While I'm here I'll say "Hi" and introduce my two babies... A 1983 Mk 1 and a 1979 Pro IIE

[/quote]

That's a gorgeous pair, The pro IIE is a stunner... In a fantasy world I'd love an original JG but on a more realistic level, when funds allow id like to add a fretted original pro series to the stable.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440062430' post='2847899']
Lovely...

MK2 Shedua?
[/quote]

Absolutely. I bought it from spiritchaser. It must have been fretted at some point according to the serial number in the Wal database. But it arrived here with a superthin fretboard. Close to no wood left. I had german luthier Günther Eyb of Eyb Guitars replace the fretboard with a 5mm ebony board. That made a lot of a difference in tone in a very positive way. I´m very happy with it as it is. So much that my only fretless GAS is a 70s mapleneck Precision for it´s beatiful and very different tone.

Edited by jensenmann

[quote name='jensenmann' timestamp='1440192281' post='2849058']
Absolutely. I bought it from spiritchaser. It must have been fretted at some point according to the serial number in the Wal database. But it arrived here with a superthin fretboard. Close to no wood left. I had german luthier Günther Eyb of Eyp Guitars replace the fretboard with a 5mm ebony board. That made a lot of a difference in tone in a very positive way. I´m very happy with it as it is. So much that my only fretless GAS is a 70s mapleneck Precision for it´s beatiful and very different tone.
[/quote]

Hey Jensenmann!

Great to see the shedua fretless in full bloom - it was in that worn down state when I got it out of an evil bay deal as you will remember. Seems Mr Eyb is a great luthier.
Do you still need the midi MKII or would you sell it again?

Cheers

Ah yes, the MB4 Midi Bass....talk about unicorn! I have one too, a 4string...a glorious instrument, but wish mine were a 5er.
Has anyone been able to use one in poly mode? I'm using mine with a Yamaha Motif sound generator (the rackmount brain model of the keyboard), and in poly mode it splits the instrument to two different sounds; like strings and drums. Not what I want, when I'm trying to get chorded strings or piano etc.
I can accomplish the chorded intervals externally via pedals, but I'm trying to do this with just midibass and sound module.
Finding info on these rare beasts have just been deadend roads.

I haven't thought about using mine in a live situation (especially since the very stiff stock data cable causes ghost triggers when you move around), but I'm mainly using for song ideas at home or eventual studio track use.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IKNSkprZVvo&itct=CB8QpDAYAiITCM7uhY_vwMcCFcN_TgodPwcDjTIHcmVsYXRlZEiM6bqwuZDX4Wo%3D
Like two small spots, the middle and the end, in the Hellborg video where he kicks on the midi and plays synth chords.

Edited by mikeswals

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little shot of my modest collection...

[i][b]HA! YEAH, I WISH!!!!! [/b][/i]This was from a "Wal Fest" gathering in 2006 in Woking... some fine instruments in that collection. Spot the double necked midi bass and the Pro IIE on which Too Shy was recorded!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1442261748' post='2865636']
Just a little shot of my modest collection...

[i][b]HA! YEAH, I WISH!!!!! [/b][/i]This was from a "Wal Fest" gathering in 2006 in Woking... some fine instruments in that collection. Spot the double necked midi bass and the Pro IIE on which Too Shy was recorded!
[/quote]

Some of the talkbass guys have collections to rival that!

Any plans for another Wal fest?