Why become a member? ×

Jellyfish anyone?

NancyJohnson

Any Jellyfish fans out there? Omnivore Recordings, who are handling their back catalogue now, have announced [i]Bellybutton[/i] and [i]...presents Spilt Milk[/i] reissues for January 2015. I don't believe that these will contain anything that wasn't already on the Not Lame 4CD Fan Club set, but the remastering will be worth the ticket price alone. Omnivore actually seem to care about what they're doing...good label.

Paul

Here's the trailer:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIuJylga2FI&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop[/media]

Spilt Milk period Ghost At Number One (from Later):
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP1SkB-Sny4[/media]

and Bye Bye Bye (also Jools):
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymPQ_LtRpTY[/media]

I bought Bellybutton last year but TBH I found the album to be a real mixed bag, with a lot of songs that I could take or leave. However, when they get it right, they are superb. Favourites of mine are 'Now she knows she's wrong', 'The Man I used to be' and 'Bedspring Kiss'

As an additional observation, he can sound very John Lennon at times, although Mrs RR disagrees with me on that :-(

Thanks for the above, looks well worth checking out Edited by Roland Rock

Jellyfish were brilliant. Great tunes, amazing harmonies (which they could pull off with aplomb live) and great players, too. I saw them a few times back in the day and was blown away every time. Omnivore are doing a fantastic job with the back catalogue of some of my favourite bands including The Posies and Game Theory. Well worth checking out.

I loved Jellyfish when they were around, and links on from them have spawned a lot of my listening choices over the years since they split. I remember well the fustration caused by the UK release date for Spilt milk being delayed a couple of times. They were such a great live act too. I might be tempted to buy these, although if there's nothing new on them, I'm not sure - although I have just shelled out for the Iron Maiden vinyl reissues, even though I have all of them already as well...

Omnivore certainly do seem to be doing a good job of getting this stuff back in the public eye. Very much picking upon from where Not Lame left off.

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1416424412' post='2610107']
There one of the best bands I've seen live. What great players. Mannings career has produced some amazing music. I think he's still with Beck
[/quote]

It would be interesting to know what else the various members have gone on to do.

[color=#222222]Jason Falkner has had a long as somewhat sporadic solo career, which has produced some very, very fine albums. [i]Can You Still Feel[/i] & [i]Author Unknown[/i] are particularly good, as is The Grays album [i]Ro Sham Bo[/i]. Sadly the Grays only ever managed the one album, but it's a cracker. Jason has also done a lot of work as a producer and some that that stuff is worth tracking down - he usually ends up playing on some of the tracks on whatever album he's working on. He was heavily involved helping Brendan Benson in the early days of his career.[/color]

[color=#222222]Roger, I think, is still working with Beck, but turns up as a session player in a lot of places.[/color]

[color=#222222]The big one is Andy, and that fact that he just doesn't want to play live anymore. I believe we was writing a lot of children’s TV theme tunes for Disney & Cartoon Network for a long time, but hasn't put anything out under his own name since the demise of Jellyfish, that I'm aware of. He was involved with a band call the Merrymakers, which was quite good stuff, if you can find it.[/color]

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1416481162' post='2610575']
[color=#222222]Jason Falkner has had a long as somewhat sporadic solo career, which has produced some very, very fine albums. [i]Can You Still Feel[/i] & [i]Author Unknown[/i] are particularly good, as is The Grays album [i]Ro Sham Bo[/i]. Sadly the Grays only ever managed the one album, but it's a cracker. Jason has also done a lot of work as a producer and some that that stuff is worth tracking down - he usually ends up playing on some of the tracks on whatever album he's working on. He was heavily involved helping Brendan Benson in the early days of his career.[/color]

[color=#222222]Roger, I think, is still working with Beck, but turns up as a session player in a lot of places.[/color]

[color=#222222]The big one is Andy, and that fact that he just doesn't want to play live anymore. I believe we was writing a lot of children’s TV theme tunes for Disney & Cartoon Network for a long time, but hasn't put anything out under his own name since the demise of Jellyfish, that I'm aware of. He was involved with a band call the Merrymakers, which was quite good stuff, if you can find it.[/color]
[/quote]

Thanks for the info I'll try and track down some of Jason Falkners solo work and give it a listen.

I saw them on that Spilt Milk tour, too. I stood there swooning with joy. I seem to recall them doing a note perfect encore of 'Grass Grow' by The Move.
Giants in the old 'Powerpop' genre which, when I loved (and listened to) music, was the genre I loved the most...
I second the recommendation re both the fantastic Grays album (also featuring the worthy Jon Brion) and the Falkner solo stuff, though all his solo albums have a fair proportion of so-so material as well as the really inspired stuff (also a feature of fellow Pop rock king Matthew Sweet's catalogue.).

Umajets. Two albums, first one great, second so-so.

The Merrymakers, pretty good; Bubblegun is brilliant. There's also a rarities collection available online if you search hard enough.

There's other associated stuff. Bleu, Moog Cookbook, LEO. Redd Kross?

If you want to hear stuff that sounds like Jellyfish, then check out Sensory Lullaby, Millicent Friendly, Mike Elgert, Taxiride, The JTG Implosion, The Superficials, Straw, The Tories. I would wholeheartedly also recommend the sadly defunct Sugarbomb as well...pretenders to the Jellyfish crown.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1416388802' post='2609578']
Jellyfish were brilliant. Great tunes, amazing harmonies (which they could pull off with aplomb live) and great players, too. I saw them a few times back in the day and was blown away every time. Omnivore are doing a fantastic job with the back catalogue of some of my favourite bands including The Posies and Game Theory. Well worth checking out.
[/quote]
I couldn't possibly not say Hello to someone namechecking 3 of my all time favourite beat combos in one post. Miller's Loud Family, too.
Miller was/is a really decent guy as well as the obvious gifts.

Edited by DunRockin

• 5 years later...

Holy necro-thread revival!

Just thought I would flag up here, for the Jellyfish lovers among us, that 3 out of 4 of the Split Milk era version of the band are back together, as The Lickerish Quartet!

Roger Manning, Tim Smith & Eric Dover combine for the first time in 15 years! First release out in mid May.

https://thelickerishquartet.com/

Very excited.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Simon. said:

Holy necro-thread revival!

Just thought I would flag up here, for the Jellyfish lovers among us, that 3 out of 4 of the Split Milk era version of the band are back together, as The Lickerish Quartet!

Roger Manning, Tim Smith & Eric Dover combine for the first time in 15 years! First release out in mid May.

https://thelickerishquartet.com/

Very excited.

Incredible news! Really looking forward to this. Jellyfish are one of the greatest bands I've had the pleasure of seeing live. Ive followed all their careers since.