Why become a member? ×

Affordable 1975 Bass

sbrag

Lots of good suggestions so far. The summary seems to be grabber/ripper, ibanez but rare and difficult to date, shergold lovely but rare. I'm going to keep my eyes on the market place and flea Bay next year and see what comes up. Otherwise it'll be a long list of stuff I've got gas for (T40, guild, stingray, g&l l2000 etc) for too my wife and see what she chooses.

I've got a few months to play with bit these suggestions have whet my appitite.

Thanks for the help.

[quote name='Leslie77s' timestamp='1416605530' post='2611933'] How very observant of you. It was after an earlier post suggested considering how a bass plays and feels as opposed to buying unsuitable guitars just because of the year. It'll be a 2015 [/quote]
It's always a good idea to quote the post that you are answering. It's the little box that says 'quote'. That way we can all understand what the post is about.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1416660302' post='2612386']
I was born in 62 and have already written to the National Lottery asking them to fund a YOB bass
[/quote]

Cheat, like I did. I was born in '57 and have a '57 re-issue.... its the nearest I'll get.

Edit - same stable as Shergold but perhaps Hayman and Ned Callan? They pop up occasionally around £500.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1416736150' post='2612940']

Cheat, like I did. I was born in '57 and have a '57 re-issue.... its the nearest I'll get.

Edit - same stable as Shergold but perhaps Hayman and Ned Callan? They pop up occasionally around £500.
[/quote]

It looks like the J&D Jazz is the best option for cheating on a budget! I'm not aware of hayman and ned callan I'll keep my eyes open. Cheers

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1416736150' post='2612940']

Cheat, like I did. I was born in '57 and have a '57 re-issue
[/quote]

MIJ 62 RI.....oh no....GAS alert

1975.... [quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1416565364' post='2611447']
My experience of buying a YOB bass (and indeed my observance of others purchasing a YOB bass), is that they rarely work out. I understand the sentiment behind it, but purchase a bass because it speaks to you and feels great, not based on the year it was made.
After all, what are the chances of two awesome things being made in the same year?! :D

That said, maybe I'm just bitter and being born in '83, a pretty dry period, especially for Fender ;)

Si
[/quote] I'm '84. It's my 30th next month.... but ended up finding the $$ and buying/being given a 1985 warwick thumb last year. One year out in both respects!! Early streamers would be '83 I would think?
[quote name='Hooch' timestamp='1416571719' post='2611546']
My guess is 1983 isn't the worst era for a fender-ish YOB bass. With Fullerton AVs and first Japanese Squiers, you got there fine basses and various price range.

YOB bass isn't necessarily a keeper I agree - though your birthday gift is, that's were it becomes tricky.

Short story: I was born in 1977 and sought after a YOB bass. I finally found a '77 Stingray, a nice one with the date on the neck stamp 2 days earlier from my real birthday. Nice catch, but the fact was I preferred my '79 Stingray, which I kept - and sold the preeeecious YOB '77 Stingray.

But it wasn't my birthday gift. If it had been, I'd have kept my '77 Stingray for sure. And probably would have sold my '79, which is a better bass for me though.
[/quote] '77 is a good year to have. Esp some fun stuff coming out of Japan. I've a '77 BB1200 - amazing bass!

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1416660302' post='2612386']
I was born in 62 and have already written to the National Lottery asking them to fund a YOB bass
[/quote]

Being born in 1966 I share your pain! I did find a '66 Thunderbird on eBay but sadly the $7600 price tag is a tad prohibitive!!!

• 1 month later...

I ended up going for the Squier 70's P bass, not exactly a YOB bass, but right decade at least.

I haven't got it yet, just used it long enough to decide I want it.

As its a present from my wife and sons I would like to get a suitable replacement neck plate, get that engraved with a birthday message and swap over for the current one.

Anybody recommend a stockist for appropriate replacement plate?