Why become a member? ×

Relic by "Blowtorch"

spacey

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/usa-blowtorched-fender-hand-stained-ash-jazz-bass./1089073632"]http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/usa-blowtorched-fender-hand-stained-ash-jazz-bass./1089073632[/url]

This has to be the daftest hatchet job yet ?

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1416263573' post='2608565']
I love that the blurb contains more information about wear and dings than the fact its been set on fire! I think an unburnt pickguard would really make it look a lot better.
[/quote]

That's why two are included in the sale. A New one and the burnt one. Aswell as ashtrays. Tis all a matter of preference.

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1416394586' post='2609653']
Such a shame - I don't get why you'd do that to a bass, especially if you ever plan to sell it, but each to their own.

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]it's very well looked after" :lol:[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
It is looked after. It's not neglected or purposely thrown/smashed against walls. It's still a USA fender jazz afterall. So it's not purposely uncared for.

Also I was never actually planning on selling it. But money troubles get the best of us!

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1416408832' post='2609900']

It's not relic'd! Where does it say relic'd on the ad?
[/quote]

Sorry I misread, this thread mentions relic.
The for sale ad described it as a refinish or upgrade.

I refinished and upgraded my toast earlier today.

Was it an intentional refinish? Genuine question :lol:

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1416429978' post='2610209']

Sorry I misread, this thread mentions relic.
The for sale ad described it as a refinish or upgrade.

I refinished and upgraded my toast earlier today.

Was it an intentional refinish? Genuine question :lol:
[/quote]

"I've got to admit with it being excessively gigged time hasn't been kind to the satin finish, so one evening it got...refinished."

-technically it is an upgrade to the finish because as stated it wasn't very hard wearing. Was quite prone to pressure marks and indents because it was quite a soft way of finishing a bass. Knowhere do I claim it to be an "upgrade" in any of my adverts either on here or gumtree. Frankly people can be p*ssy about it but at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

No I just accidentally picked up my blowtorch and scorched it.

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1416444640' post='2610388']

"I've got to admit with it being excessively gigged time hasn't been kind to the satin finish, so one evening it got...refinished."

-technically it is an upgrade to the finish because as stated it wasn't very hard wearing. Was quite prone to pressure marks and indents because it was quite a soft way of finishing a bass. Knowhere do I claim it to be an "upgrade" in any of my adverts either on here or gumtree. Frankly people can be p*ssy about it but at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

No I just accidentally picked up my blowtorch and scorched it.
[/quote]

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1416271120' post='2608651']

To be fair the satin finish wasn't too hard wearing, I see it as an upgrade- can always be sanded back to natural wood and refinished fairly easily :)
[/quote]

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1416524022' post='2611262']
Finally someone who knows what a ballache this finish was.
[/quote]

It was beautiful.. I just felt like every time it came out of the case it attained a dent and a scratch no matter how careful you were with it. Other than that it was a fantastic instrument - I believe if its the same as the ~P bass it will have the carbon fibre rods in the neck for stability.

If I had the cash Id have it off you tommorow - its a lot of US bass for MIM money - just needs a hard refinish. Dont know if the fact they are Ash bodies has an impact on the dent resistance (No pun intended - i believe from memory they ARE Ash)