Why become a member? ×

90s Encore strat copy - surprisingly good player

Greggo

I've borrowed an old 90s encore strat copy from my mate who has not played it since 1997 and it's been sat in its case ever since.

After a clean up, restring and set up its surprisingly a very good player. Neck is nice and action can get very low and easy to play and the pickups are pretty decent.

Strangely as a little easter egg, the middle and neck pickups are wired to the opposite switches, so position 2 on the 5 way is bridge and neck so it actually emulates very closely the middle pickup of a telecaster.

I'm thinking this was a mistake at factory as my mate never tinkered with it and had it from new.

Surprising how a budget guitar from days gone by can be a lovely little player and a very usable sound to it!

I used to own a 90's Encore precision and that was a very decent instrument indeed. Lovely neck, pearlescent white in colour and strong pickups. I sold it when I accidentally broke the nut and bodged the repair. Never played the same after that :(

Would happily own another one!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1416129907' post='2607054']
I used to own a 90's Encore precision and that was a very decent instrument indeed. Lovely neck, pearlescent white in colour and strong pickups. I sold it when I accidentally broke the nut and bodged the repair. Never played the same after that :(

Would happily own another one!

Truckstop
[/quote]
I had a 90s p copy also at one time, cracking tone from it, I've been recording music for years and that had hands down the best bass tone! Shame it's long gone (14 years now)

I still have my 90s P Bass Encore. I love the neck on it and the aren't any sharp edges on the frets, better than my MIM P Bass. I keep meaning to upgrade the PUPS and use It more often, but never seem to get around to doing it. Amazing quality when you consider the entry level price it had.