Why become a member? ×

Decent management, how do you get it?

Wooks79

We have done all our own management and admin type stuff so far, and we have done ok I reckon, but we have some big stuff for 2015, that I feel we can't make the most of those opportunities by just guessing our way through things, so we need proper management...

Have you got proper management? How did it come about? Any tips on finding the right management?

It seems that a lot of management companies want to offer some kind of 'consultancy' service - I just see this as a way of them making money upfront for a fee, not actually getting on board and believing they can get you somewhere, and we don't fancy/can't afford that, so we've already turned down two companies offering that.

Any ideas? Cheers :)

By recommendation..? From experience, having a 3rd party manage when you've been doing it yourself is a big step to take, and prudence is required if it's not to go sour. Talk to other, managed, bands to see if they're happy with their management, and approach them if you're inspired..? A leap in the dark is not the best guarantee, so asking around and collecting advice from bands you trust would be my tip.

be wary would be my advice, especially before parting with any cash.

In terms of finding companies, maybe look at bands you like and check their management companies out. Showing a bit of willing can go a long way.

We were managed by a pretty high profile company for a few years; we sent them a demo, they came to see us play and hey presto. No money changed hands, just an agreement of a cut if we were to get signed.

Another lesson learnt would be to look at what you need; is it marketing help, help to get gigs or support slots, help to get recordings done etc. Different managers have different skill sets.

You touched on it in your original post that you need someone who believes in you, that is absolutely essential!