Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV First Impressions

Hobbayne

I used the new Thunderbird bass last night in rehearsal. The neck was a lot slimmer then the precision necks that I am used to, It will take some getting used to, but the sound was immense.
The guys commented all what a great sound this bass guitar had.
This one has the American made pickup.
I was a bit worried because I had heard that the these guitars suffered from neck dive but this was not the case. The sound suited a l lot of the heavier songs that we do much more than the fender precision bass, but i still find it a bit uncomfortable the body shape is a lot different but I guess I will get used to it. :)

Cheers Dougie. I may change the stock strings that came with it, I think they are stainless steels of some description and I am a Nickles fan.
Apart from that, it came ready to play straight out of the box and needed no tweaking from me! :happy:

Nice one.

Picked one up a couple of weeks back, just like yours, put some 4 year old flats on it straight away and took it to rehearsal. It's huuuge sounding. It's now my go to Ska bass.

I'm a die hard P Bass player and the slim neck and uncomfortable feel put me off a bit to start with, but I'm getting used to it and love the sound it pushes out.

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1415820202' post='2604165']
Nice one.

Picked one up a couple of weeks back, just like yours, put some 4 year old flats on it straight away and took it to rehearsal. It's huuuge sounding. It's now my go to Ska bass.

I'm a die hard P Bass player and the slim neck and uncomfortable feel put me off a bit to start with, but I'm getting used to it and love the sound it pushes out.
[/quote]

Sir Horace Gentlemen from The Specials uses a pukka Gibson T Bird these days so I guess it would sound great in a ska band!

Mine has a wristband that lives on the headstock for exactly that reason! It just wants to damage me when I play it ! Cos it's 'ard!!
[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/gafbass02/media/1B66F6F1-98A4-420C-9F65-C9E34AF14D9A.jpg.html][IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/1B66F6F1-98A4-420C-9F65-C9E34AF14D9A.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='dougieb' timestamp='1415803852' post='2603955']
I have one of these in white and it is a very impressive bass for the money. The Gibson USA pups deliver an awesome bottom end, good luck and good playing times!
[/quote]

I'm a guy from the 60s and back in the day the Gibson Thunderbird was a bass that really made a statement.It meant if you were in rock you meant business.

I had the Epi but I traded up to a 1991 Gibson Thunderbird with ebony fret board.

The Epi and the Gibson TBird look similar, however they are 2 very different sounding bass guitars.

Blue

Edited by blue

[sub]Interested by the comparision Blue, esp concerning the new Epi Classic IV vs Thunderbird IV as the older Epi's were bolt on and definitely built to visually resemble the 'real deal' while in no was getting close sound-wise. Would like to know how the thru' neck Epi Classic IV stacks up sound-wise agianst the Gibson as I could be tempted by one as a spare. Has anyone been able to copmare them side-by-side?[/sub]

There is TalkBass thread all about the classic pro. In a nutshell the difference between a Epiphone T bird classic pro and and the current Gibson is not a lot. The bolt on Epiphones however are a different beast with only appearence being similar. The classic is NT mahogany/ walnut laminate with Gibson USA pups. Full mahogany wings too. There is no neck dive on the classic either.

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1415964365' post='2605596']
[sub]Interested by the comparision Blue, esp concerning the new Epi Classic IV vs Thunderbird IV as the older Epi's were bolt on and definitely built to visually resemble the 'real deal' while in no was getting close sound-wise. Would like to know how the thru' neck Epi Classic IV stacks up sound-wise agianst the Gibson as I could be tempted by one as a spare. Has anyone been able to copmare them side-by-side?[/sub]
[/quote]

The PUs are so different , much hotter on the Gibson, and my 91 has a much thinner neck then the new Gibsons or the Epis.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415986362' post='2605898']

The PUs are so different , much hotter on the Gibson, and my 91 has a much thinner neck then the new Gibsons or the Epis.

Blue
[/quote]

The Epiphone Classic IV uses Gibson pickups I believe. Same as the U.S. Thundrbirds.
The bolt-on Epis have different pickups though.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1415995062' post='2606031']
The Epiphone Classic IV uses Gibson pickups I believe. Same as the U.S. Thundrbirds.
The bolt-on Epis have different pickups though.
[/quote]

That might be true. I think the Epis are ok, however if you are buying the Epi solely because of the price and you really want The Gibson I say wait and get what you really want. Me, I'm pretty superficial and like being on stage with the [i]"real deal".[/i]

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1415798683' post='2603871']
The sound suited a l lot of the heavier songs that we do much more than the fender precision bass, but i still find it a bit uncomfortable the body shape is a lot different but I guess I will get used to it. :)[/quote]

Could be a generational /age thing. For us older guys that grew up seeing Brian Jones and guys like Ronnie wood playing those Gibson Explorers ( guitar version of the Tbird) it was and still is for me the ultimate rock look.

Blue

[size=4][font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000][b]Bass Guitars [/b][/color][/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Bass[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Gibson ES-335 Custom Shop Bass[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Gibson 1991 Thunderbird Bass[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Fender 1951 Telecaster Bass[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Fender 1959 Telecaster Bass[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]G & L 1991 ASAT Bass (active pre-amp )[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]German Made Hofner 502 Limited Edition Club Bass[/color][/color][/font][/size]

Edited by blue