Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

I'm still looking forward to going this year. I couldn't make it last year due to work commitments, but went in 2013 and 2012 and really enjoyed the shows!

I'm thinking that as the 'big names' like Warwick and Yamaha aren't going to be there, perhaps it will let some of the smaller companies really shine through? Great to see Thomas and George Martin representing the upright crowd there as well this year.

I really enjoyed talking to a couple of manufacturers and dealers in 2013 and wasn't fussed about playing Warwicks etc.

Maybe there will be a chance to actually hear what you are demoing as well!

Either way, I am looking forward to being there on the Saturday and seeing Lee Rocker and Mark King on the Live Stage again.

Edited by BruceBass3901

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1423664535' post='2687630']
:o I'm hoping for a spate of last-minute announcements!
[/quote]

It must be a chicken/egg situation.

Lack of exhibitors reduces advanced ticket sales..

Lack of ticket sales puts off exhibitors.

I think I already said a few pages earlier on this thread that there must be something wrong with the pricing structure for both exhibitors and the normal public. But while I see that an extortionate entrance/exhibiting fee may deter ordinary punters, small companies and/or companies selling cheaper accessories etc., surely companies the size of Fender et al could afford a stand no matter what?
If instead it's a matter of this show not being seen as prestigious or helpful from the marketing and publicity point of view, then we're in a different kind of trouble.

Ethan Farmer!

Still - there's enough interesting exhibitors for me to make the trip. Says this year there are now 200 performance tickets available for pre-sale on the day, is the assumption these are snapped up by people queuing at Olympia before the doors open?

This is what their website says:

[quote]As in previous years, tickets for the main stage performances will be made freely available without charge one hour prior to the commencement of each performance. However, show visitors will also now have the option to purchase a ticket for a main stage performance upon arrival at the show for £5 per ticket.[/quote]

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1423233261' post='2682568']
[size=4]...[font=helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] a man for who the term ‘experimental FX guru’ could well have been invented. [/font][/size]
[/quote]

Perhaps naively, I hadn't even realised that the term 'experimental FX guru' actually HAD been invented.

I must try to find ways to drop that into my conversation ...

I've just read this whole thread in an attempt to talk myself into coming , it hasn't worked , Ive also got a budget for a new bass I'm considering (after always saying I'd only buy second hand for years)

Not being negative , just feeding back my impressions of the show from here are limited stands, with lots of people slapping everywhere

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1423986220' post='2691091']
I've just read this whole thread in an attempt to talk myself into coming , it hasn't worked , Ive also got a budget for a new bass I'm considering (after always saying I'd only buy second hand for years)

Not being negative , just feeding back my impressions of the show from here are limited stands, with lots of people slapping everywhere
[/quote]

My only experience was last years show, I understand it has been better in previous years but it was a bit light on exhibitors... The slapping thing doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others I'm more concerned about the lack of gear to check out.

Very much of the opinion that you use it of lose it. It is the only bass specific show in the UK it deserves to be supported even if there are a couple of perceived problems. The noise is what it is. Every music event of this type I have ever been to has been noisy it is the nature of the beast. The last guitar show I went to was wall to wall shred which I assume to be the guitar equivalent of slap. Not been to a drum show so I can only imagine they are not exactly quiet. Lots of interesting gear going to be there. Personally I have seen enough Fender basses to last this and the next life time. I have no idea why some big names are not there maybe negative posting about the event has something to do with it maybe,maybe not.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1424016845' post='2691556']
Yes, last years amount of exhibitors was lacking in comparison to the year befores, but apparently this has been sorted, and there isn`t a guitar show on in NEC at same time (think that was the reason why if recall correctly).
[/quote]
I believe it's a week earlier and budgets are still tight, so I'd expect money to be spent there rather than on the low end (I'm thinking Fender, Gibson, Yamaha, etc).

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1423986220' post='2691091']
...my impressions of the show from here are limited stands, with lots of people slapping everywhere
[/quote]

Yeah if you can't tune out the mass slap fest, a bass show isn't the best environment.

Does anyone else sometimes read it as the [b]LGBS[/b] show? Something quite different.

[quote name='milesBguitar' timestamp='1424121352' post='2692966']
Was really hoping Warwick was going to be here. First year to the show so will try and enjoy it anyway
[/quote]Then you are lucky. This will be my second one, as i went last year. I really enjoyed it. I didn`t realise it was a lot smaller than usual,

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1424020954' post='2691620']
Very much of the opinion that you use it or lose it. It is the only bass specific show in the UK it deserves to be supported even if there are a couple of perceived problems.
[/quote]

Exactly, want more exhibitors there next year? Come along and support the show this year and perhaps the numbers will persuade the exhibitors to turn up next year?
If you're not fussed about supporting the show, why should an exhibitor turn up for you not to be there?
In any case, exhibitors aside, its a great opportunity to meet some lovely people and maybe learn a thing or two!

Si