Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1425684722' post='2709839']
Barrie - I bet you could sell that red bag a gazillion times over! I have no use for it... but I want it to hang on the wall!
[/quote]

It did indeed sell!

I've never seen a humble gig bag generate so much interest. People kept going up to it and stroking the leather :)

Eventually one guy couldn't resist. He got a few friends to vote on which one to buy and it was a unanimous decision to go for the red one.

Only 5 ever made in this colour but might be some more.

Paul Turner was getting very excited about it as well and Mark King came down to chat to Hermann Gerlach, the manufacturer, seemed to need a pair of shades on just to look at it though :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1425883066' post='2711702']
I did really like the Porter and Davies product and feel that would really enhance my gig enjoyment but not sure that I could stump up £1k easily for that pleasure.
[/quote]
I was gutted I wasn't well enough to come to the show as this is the product I was interested in. I'd like to know how it compares to the tecamp pleasure board. I know that p&d have been pushing this - but it's not new tech - but maybe they've taken it somewhere over and above the pleasure board.

Of course, the big downside of this type of monitoring system is that it kinda cements you to the spot - which can be a little visually boring.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1425906973' post='2712006']
Of course, the big downside of this type of monitoring system is that it kinda cements you to the spot - which can be a little visually boring.
[/quote]

The next version will feature wireless pads that slip inside your underwear.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1425904741' post='2711962']
And one of me, courtesy of Shelley :)

Incidentally, the guys behind me were creating bass guitars and double basses from scratch and I'll be showing step-by-step photos of the awesome process in my blog.
[/quote]

Looks like the guy behind you is scratching something else lol!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1425908017' post='2712024']
The next version will feature wireless pads that slip inside your underwear.
[/quote]

I was thinking inside the soles of boots. At least then you could move about. Platform boots with transducers just like the 70s.

Not a worry for me - I am as visually boring as John Deacon!!

Out of interest what does the Tecamp Please Board cost?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1425906973' post='2712006']
I was gutted I wasn't well enough to come to the show as this is the product I was interested in. I'd like to know how it compares to the tecamp pleasure board. I know that p&d have been pushing this - but it's not new tech - but maybe they've taken it somewhere over and above the pleasure board.

[/quote]

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1425908470' post='2712035']
Not a worry for me - I am as visually boring as John Deacon!!

Out of interest what does the Tecamp Please Board cost?
[/quote]

Depends upon the size - they do three sizes. From memory, the largest board with the pleasure pump(!) amp is circa 800 quid.

[size=4][url="http://tecamp.de/en/products/amlification/40-pleasurepump-500.html#overview"]http://tecamp.de/en/...0.html#overview[/url][/size]
[size=4][url="http://tecamp.de/en/products/specials/62-pleasure-board.html#overview"]http://tecamp.de/en/...d.html#overview[/url][/size]

[size=4]From Thomann[/size]

[size=4]PB L - 425.89[/size]
[size=4]PB M - 391.91[/size]
[size=4]PB S - 356.48[/size]

[size=4]PB PP - 534.35[/size]

[size=4]So nearer 950 for the large - but the sizes are quite generous...[/size]

[size=4][color=#424242][font=HelveticaNeue,]29.5" x 29.5" x 3" - for P&D[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#424242][font=HelveticaNeue,]compared to -[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4]PB S: 31,5“ x 3,9 x 23,6“[/size]
[size=4]PB M: 31,5“ x 3,9“ x 31,5“[/size]
[size=4]PB L: 47,2“ x 3,9“ x 31,5“[/size]

[size=4]So the Medium Pleasure board is still bigger than the P&D board.[/size]

Of course, the size of boards if you aren't really moving around is a bit of a moot point (unless you have clown shoes on) - but the thing I am interested in, is the size and weight of the amp. The Tecamp certainly looks very favourable in that department.

Edited by EBS_freak

Also probably worth putting this up too GF -

PB S: 12,5 kg, 27,6 lbs
PB M: 16,5 kg,36,4 lbs
PB L: 19,5 kg, 43,0 lbs

P&D comes in at 13kg... but then then theres the amp on top...

5.9kg / 9.5kg / 3.4kg depending upon which of the P&D amps...

vs

1.45kg for the amp.

Im guessing that you could in theory use any old amp with the PB but I would be wary of what I would plug into the P&D one considering it has 150w handling vs 600w @ 8ohm of the tecamp.

As you can see, this all makes for an interesting shootout.

BGM are you reading this?

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1425920025' post='2712237']
Tried the P&D one on the Sunday morning before the show opened and was really impressed with it. Did not try the Tec Amp version because I did not see it until the break down.
[/quote]

Bummer - now I am a bit miffed I couldn't go... both under one roof!

Snap - didn't even know that Tecamp made one!

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1425920025' post='2712237']
Tried the P&D one on the Sunday morning before the show opened and was really impressed with it. Did not try the Tec Amp version because I did not see it until the break down.
[/quote]

I spoke to the P&D guy about it for a while and I don't think they both work the same way as far as I understood it. The guy I had with me to play demos was equally impressed with it. I was surprised how well it translated all the notes even when played at speed or slapped. I was genuinely impressed with how well it work.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1425921565' post='2712275']
I spoke to the P&D guy about it for a while and I don't think they both work the same way as far as I understood it. The guy I had with me to play demos was equally impressed with it. I was surprised how well it translated all the notes even when played at speed or slapped. I was genuinely impressed with how well it work.
[/quote]

Now that makes it even more difficult - if the technologies are different that is!!

I didn't really get a chance to stop over the weekend - tried to get to as many performances as poss! Had a bit of time to try out some nice stuff though. No moneys at the mo, but I think my Markbass rig will expand in the not too distant future!

Enjoyed the event, never been to one of these before. Being a lefty the girlfriend wasn't too bored following me around as I ended up playing only one of the four lefty basses I saw there. We saw Lee Rocker who was very, very cool a few snippets of Yolanda Charles having a blast jamming on the Elixir stand, and saw Mark King. When I left there was one bloke complaining about all the queues and saying it was a waste of time but I disagree - we were hardly hanging around at all and queueing to chat with Lee Rocker and Mark King for them to sign some stuff is ok in my book. The constant drone of basses being slapped at high volumes was a bit irritating when they were close to performance stages though.

Edited by uk_lefty

Nice. Missed the Mark King performance. I'm uploading some clips to me YouTube channel, but they're taking forever! In the meantime, here's my favourite pic of the weekend:

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/iamtheelvy/media/image.jpg19_zps23rvzgbe.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y440/iamtheelvy/image.jpg19_zps23rvzgbe.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'd never been before. Really enjoyed it.

I saw that harvest red bag. My mate pointed it out to me and drooled. I said "yeah, that does look great if you want a gig bag that looks like a fire engine." Enough said really.

I very nearly bought an Enfield Black Raven. Nearly. Had it not been finished in satin things could have went very differently. Luckily enough it was enough for me to "step away from the vehicle...." Still, Martin was a very nice guy and I enjoyed chatting to him. Also had a chat with the lady on Enfield stand (I'm presuming it was Martin's wife?) she asked what I thought. I said I thought they should charge more. That bass had the nicest neck profile I've ever played. Perfect in all honesty. For me at least.

I didn't see very many basschatters actually only going on the Sunday. Was good to catch up with Bluejay again (thanks for the lanyard!!) and I did notice Dood floating about, but since I've never met him I didn't want to pop over just as I knew who he is.

As it turned out I just grabbed a Harvest strap and a few leads. When I got home I related to Mrs Wolverine that I was this close (holds up fingers an inch apart) to buying a bass for 2 grand. She thought it was hilariously silly, but such is the atmosphere around the show I guess. Leave your cards at home please.

I am sad that I didn't see ACG as I'd have really liked to have met Alan.

One of the most hilarious things happened just as I was leaving. My mate didn't like Stu Hamm's performance. Really hated it and I mentioned that regardless of whether you liked it or not, there's always something useful to be learned from it. So we're waiting at the lift and my mate is still saying how much he thought it was awful cringeworthingly self indulgent. Stu Hamm walks up behind him just he's finished speaking to wait for the lift. He hasn't heard what's been said. I thought I might die it was so funny especially as I pointed out to my friend he was behind him. Nobody really believes that when folk say it do they? When my friend realised what had happened as we got into the lift he was of course somewhat embarrassed. Properly silly. I didn't think I'd like Lee Rocker, but he was very good. My mate loved Billy Sheehan though he'd never heard of him before I said we should see him.

A top day out though I did think there would be more stands. Not that it matters. All good fun.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1425939580' post='2712633']
Surprised you missed me I was right next to Martin. Tried very hard not to be away from the sand but can't be there all day so might have missed you.
[/quote]

Yeah life can be a beach sometimes...sorry...I'll get me coat..