Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

I went Saturday (yesterday) expecting there to not be too many people. Timmo Status also hand a left-hander on their stand.

I also wasn't that impressed with Doug Wimbish, he can certainly play, I got up. Mark king was OK. I must be getting old as I thought it was a but loud. Stu Hamm was great and a funny guy. I thought some of the mini demonstrations on the exhibitor were more entertaining to be honest. As someone else mentioned, some of the basses that had high reviews and praise from various sources, were a little disappointing in the flesh. They look great, but some just didn't feel as good to hold.

I was also in the market looking for a phase pedal, the only one I saw which could reproduce the sound I was trying to re-create wasn't available until mid April, I need one for next week. Oh well. Roll on next year.

I was there yesterday and had a GREAT day. Yes, there was a lot of noise but I wasn't at all bothered by it. It might be because most of it was low end, but I could actually understand the person I was talking to. I also had the feeling that, apart from the Status stand maybe, there wasn't even that much slapping going on.

Best experiences:
-Having a chat with Roger Sadowsky. I think he might have been the nicest guy at the show. What a great man.
-Checking out the TecAmp stand. I've said my Aguilar won't leave me for the next few years, but that might be changing...
-Having coffee with Paul Turner. I've had the chance of meeting him twice so far, and already he knows who I am and invited me for a cup of coffee at the Maribelle's (just opposite of the Olympia). Great guy, great bass player.

What also struck me was how nice everybody was to each other. There was no feeling of rivalry, nobody was walking around with a "I can play better than you" attitude... I think that would be different at a drums or guitar show.

Oh and this happened.

Photo by Paul Sips (the guy with the hat). I'm on the far left.

Edited by BassAgent

I can't make it but can anyone tell me if the folks that make the ear moulds are there and the name of the company at all please? I spoke with them last year about getting a pair made but completely forgot the name of the company.... Anyone able to help?

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1425824738' post='2711072']
I can't make it but can anyone tell me if the folks that make the ear moulds are there and the name of the company at all please? I spoke with them last year about getting a pair made but completely forgot the name of the company.... Anyone able to help?
[/quote]

Paul @ http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk

[/quote]

ACS ?

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1425756264' post='2710466']
Had a great time but totally failed to say hello to any BCers except Eude, ead, MoJoKe and
Skelf, sorry everyone!
[/quote]

Good to meet you too, and a bunch of other folks. I did find it quite loud, eventually giving in an sticking the ERCin.

Not sure how anybody going there to try amps out could have made an informed decision (or basses for that matter unless headphones were supplied - thanks Skelf, loved the new ACG Standards now I've seen them in the flesh.

I'm now at home, exhausted and happy. I have watched many great performances, talked to Steve Lawson, Stu Hamm, Billy Sheehan among others, met lots of lovely people at all the stands, and taken a ridiculous number of photos. Watch this space for [i]that[/i] blog... :rolleyes: :D

Edited by bluejay

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Well my first time at the show and despite the low expectations caused by some posts in this thread, I came away regarding it as a fantastic occasion![/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I said hello to some BCs in the queue outside, trying to get rid of my spare ticket and spoke with Bluejay. Listened to / watched Divinity Foxx, Yolanda Charles with [/font][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Federico Malaman, Billy Sheehan and Doug Wimbush. All I can say is Wow! really wow. All were obviously great players, but each was very entertaining and Sheehan was extremely informative too. I played with a couple of guitars (Pedulla - want want, [/font][/color][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]MusicMan Stingray not so much, although they only had one 4HH - a prototype through neck), almost bought a Markbass MultiAmp (phew! but too complicated) which was on at a silly discounted price. [/color][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]Arrived at 10.00am, left at 16:30 with two music books, a neoprene strap, an RC4 and a Ditto X2 (great chats with the TC team and Mark from Bass Direct).[/color][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]Thanks to all who kept it friendly, spoke to a lot of people inside but no idea who they were, and well done to the organisers. I will be back next year. My only criticism is that it would be good to get some more mainstream manufacturers there. Not too crowded either. [/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Bobthedog

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1425821044' post='2711024']
I was there yesterday and had a GREAT day. Yes, there was a lot of noise but I wasn't at all bothered by it. It might be because most of it was low end, but I could actually understand the person I was talking to. I also had the feeling that, apart from the Status stand maybe, there wasn't even that much slapping going on.

Best experiences:
-Having a chat with Roger Sadowsky. I think he might have been the nicest guy at the show. What a great man.
-Checking out the TecAmp stand. I've said my Aguilar won't leave me for the next few years, but that might be changing...
-Having coffee with Paul Turner. I've had the chance of meeting him twice so far, and already he knows who I am and invited me for a cup of coffee at the Maribelle's (just opposite of the Olympia). Great guy, great bass player.

What also struck me was how nice everybody was to each other. There was no feeling of rivalry, nobody was walking around with a "I can play better than you" attitude... I think that would be different at a drums or guitar show.

Oh and this happened.

Photo by Paul Sips (the guy with the hat). I'm on the far left.
[/quote]

Sorry to be an ignorant here but, who's the guy to the left os Steve Lawson (Beanie hat)? I saw a bunch of people taking pictures of him but to be honest the face looks familiar and I got no idea who he is.

Ended up just going today. Great day, and better than last year. :)
Didn't really see too many BC'ers other than the omnipresent Bluejay and a couple of others. Some great gear this year too - highlights were the Pedula Pentabuzz fretless (spectacular), some of the Spectors, Dave Swift's Sadowsky 5-string Precision, Ashdown's new gear (always nice to hang with Mark Gooday too), Steve Sukop's lovely 6-string bass, Bernie Goodfellow's nice new GB singlecut basses, the Marusczyk basses, and the latest and greatest from ACG. Some lovely stuff from Eve Basses and Enfield too, but pretty much the same stuff as last year.

I also checked out a few of the shows and masterclasses - Sheehan's always good fun and informative, Doug Wimbish was great, and Stu Hamm was entertaining as always (although he always does the same stuff with the same anecdotes). Also caught a great little impromptu bass jam towards the end of the day with two guys, one playing very funky, jazzy stuff, a la Bobby Vega, on a Zon with a pick. Great groove.

They also seemed to have the volume a bit more under control this year - much more use of headphones, and the quiet times seemed to be more effectively enforced. Looking forward to next year - it just keeps getting better. :)

BassAgent, I believe we kind of met, I was the guy who was trying out a Sadowsky, wanted to then hand it to you as you seemed queueing up eager to try one, and yes you were but for a different one, the red one with rosewood board.

So, a belated and a virtual Hi :)

[/quote]

It was 1964.

I popped in for a couple of hours yesterday having not been since the first show in 2011. I felt that that the show has progressed a little since then and seemed to be laid out better and also well attended. As others have said it is very noisy in the halls and that has to hamper the buying of guitars and effects as without headphones you are screwed!
Some very nice stuff on show though, liked the look of the Martinscott basses on the George Martin stand and also the 2nd ever made Stingray on the MusicMan stand too.
Spent some time with the legend Mr Goodfellow and looked at the new Merlin bass which was gorgeous. I think I must be in the lucky position that I love my bass and amp and have no desire to change any of them so my wallet stayed firmly shut!
I did really like the Porter and Davies product and feel that would really enhance my gig enjoyment but not sure that I could stump up £1k easily for that pleasure.
Hope everyone else enjoyed the show?

Yup, just my third show, and really enjoyed the whole show. Spent a bit more time in the concert hall and master class room and saw Lee Rocker, Stu Hamm, Doug Wimbish and Ethan Farmer - Sunday. All entertaining, agreed, not displaying everyday bass playing, but showing just what can be done with a bass.
Bought a strap, strings and equaliser from different stands, all stand staff very friendly and chatty. If I was at the other end of my playing career a GB bass would have been a definite purchase.
Yes, it was noisy, but if you are in the market for high power amplification you need to hear that it'll do the job? Maybe Vanderkley were the ones to go a bit over the top?
Sorry, didn't say hello to anyone, waaay too shy! 😀
See you next year.
Graham

[quote name='graham1945' timestamp='1425890018' post='2711734']
Spent a bit more time in the concert hall and master class room and saw Lee Rocker, Stu Hamm, Doug Wimbish and Ethan Farmer - Sunday. All entertaining, agreed, not displaying everyday bass playing, but showing just what can be done with a bass.
[/quote]

How was Ethan Farmer?

We loaned him a Sadowsky Metro for his performance but I didn't get a chance to get over to see him.

He's played with some top people over the years!