Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

How about Trevor Barry - from the Strictly dance Band. Would be good to hear how he approaches sight reading all those new charts each week at short notice. We should support british session guys rather than fly in Mr Stevens again next year. Neil Murray would also get 1+ from me good suggestion Dude

Tony Levin would be great. Neil Murray again has been there before so as a regular I'd love an all new line up ( well expect for Mr King obviously). I hope the trader stands are back to full compliment in 2015, the hall felt very odd with all that space this year, hopefully just a blip due to the Birmingham guitar show bring on the same dates.

Edited by Alun

I agree, Alun. I think the organisers will have to have a re-think about the cost they set for stands. Presumably the venue charges the organisers a fixed fee for hiring the area and its facilities, so it would make more sense to attract a larger number of exhibitors by charging affordable prices, than making a booth so expensive that only a smaller number of high-end, wealthy exhibitors can afford to exhibit. The paying punters would prefer more variety and a higher number of vendors, obviously.

Edited by bluejay

Dear Basschat members,

Reading through this thread it would appear that there is some confusion regarding the main stage £5 tickets that are available in advance. Just to clarify, in response to feedback we received from show visitors, the £5 tickets are available in an effort to offer guaranteed seats for those that are keen to see a specific artist. We have a total of just short of 500 seats available to us in the main stage and, unlike the masterclass room, the venue insist that we only allow in one person per seat. We therefore allocate up to 250 tickets which can be purchased in advance. The remaining tickets (along with any that remain unsold from the '£5 allocation') are given away free of charge on a 'first come, first served' basis one hour before the performance.

You'll be aware that Mark King is performing at next year's London Bass Guitar Show. The last time Mark performed at the show we as organisers received complaints from many disappointed show visitors who were unable to get in, many commenting that they would have liked the opportunity to secure a seat in advance. Hence the new arrangement.

Please be aware, however, that it is therefore not a requirement that show visitors purchase a ticket in advance for any of the main stage performances. There will be a minimum of 50% of the available tickets given away free of charge at the show. But for those that absolutely 'have' to see a particular performance we recommend purchasing an advance ticket to avoid any disappointment.

Hope that helps to clarify the main stage ticket situation,

Best wishes,

The LBGS Team

Haha, I so agree with that. LBGS guys, the single massive improvement you can make to the show is seriously enforcing the 45 minutes to the hour (or whatever proportion is deemed appropriate) silence rule. Nobody seemed to do that on any of the previous years, and loud slapping and excessively high volume were constant, and that is costing you the goodwill and custom of many, many potential visitors.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1416399884' post='2609745']
Speaking of Mark King, could you not ban "Slapping" from the Exhibitor Stands....?
[/quote]

How about giving every visitor 4 x 5 minute slapping coupons. These can either be redeemed for 5 minutes of slapping a bass... Or 5 minutes slapping someone who is slapping the bass.

That would sort it out in no time!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1416400713' post='2609756']
How about giving every visitor 4 x 5 minute slapping coupons. These can either be redeemed for 5 minutes of slapping a bass... Or 5 minutes slapping someone who is slapping the bass.

That would sort it out in no time!
[/quote]

Great idea... But can we make it a 1 x 10 second coupon?

Enforcing the quiet times would be great. Dunlop have had headphones available for trying pedals the last couple of times which is great for keeping you from interfering with others but didn't help block out the slap assault from the amp stand opposite :-)

Dear Basschatters,

Thanks for all your feedback on the show thus far - keep it coming!

Yes, we're aware that the number of exhibitors at last year's show wasn't what we'd have wanted it to be. As some of you have insightfully pointed out, this was due to another show being staged at the same time. We were aware of the clash of dates a few months out but, unfortunately, there was nothing either party could do. The two shows running at the same time meant that many companies did not have the resources to attend both and, to be perfectly honest, both shows suffered as a result.

For 2015, however, there are no other shows planned for 'our' weekend and so we are doing our best to ensure that we have a full exhibition hall, rammed with a wide variety of product for you all to drool over. Of course, to a large extent, we are governed by what the exhibitors choose to exhibit too - which is why lefty instruments are always scarce. Maybe we should talk about a new show; The UK Lefty Guitar & Bass Show?! Any takers?!

Just a note about the noisy/quiet time too. Trying to keep people from playing during the quiet times is like trying to nail jelly to a tree. As organisers we have dedicated 'sound police' who are constantly on patrol, exhibitors have a responsibility too to monitor what's happening on their stand, but you guys also need to play your part! When you hear the hooter, step away from the basses!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1416400713' post='2609756']

[/quote]

I love this idea, but can you imagine the secondary market that would spring up in the Gents Toilets with people trading slapping coupons for picks & strings ...

:lol:

I'm not sure how much they cost but I think it would be a good idea to sell the headphones so that:[list=1]
[*]There is less noise in general
[*]The offenders could be encouraged to keep their noise to themselves
[*]Those who aren't confident enough to pick up a bass with hundreds of other bassists listening can play without feeling intimidated
[*]I'd like to have a set to use at home so as to annnoy my neighbours less
[/list]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1416505971' post='2611002']

I love this idea, but can you imagine the secondary market that would spring up in the Gents Toilets with people trading slapping coupons for picks & strings ...

:lol:
[/quote]

True. I suppose we'd have to also have a 'shiny' coupon, just to help with trade values. 'Shiny's could entitle the holder to 1 free kettle lead, allowing them to 'pull the plug' on whoever they saw fit!