Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

Got my ticket for Saturday...Third year in a row for me. Its well worth going just to see the masterclasses/live performances IMO. I'll keep going as long as its on, have really enjoyed it the last couple of years. Its a shame that it looks like its going to be limited on the gear side of things, and a bigger shame if that is due to a lack of demand/ticket sales etc.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1424183899' post='2693559']
Exactly, want more exhibitors there next year? Come along and support the show this year and perhaps the numbers will persuade the exhibitors to turn up next year?
If you're not fussed about supporting the show, why should an exhibitor turn up for you not to be there?
In any case, exhibitors aside, its a great opportunity to meet some lovely people and maybe learn a thing or two!

Si
[/quote]

Fully agree....I have exactly this thinking around the local Bashes too...

I'm in touch with Steve and Sara of Blaze Publishing, and put some of the doubts expressed here to them. This is what they said to me:

[quote]Be assured we are doing all we can to ensure there is a varied and extensive range of exhibits for our visitors to peruse when at the show. We are aware that some 'big' names are not there in their own right, but we have a number of retailers planning to come to the show who will be having a range of stock on their stands. So, for example, there may not be a Fender stand, but I'm sure the retailers will have some Fender product at the show.[/quote]

I see your point - Retailers have to make a selection of models from each company, as they can't bring their entire stock. I imagine, though, that if there are more than one big retailer at the show, we may have a reasonable choice of models to try.

I attend the show for the masterclasses and performances as much as to ogle the gear, and i haven't been disappointed so far (20+ years attending what used to be called the London Music Show, then the LIMS, then the LBGS).

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1424202191' post='2693846']
I see your point - Retailers have to make a selection of models from each company, as they can't bring their entire stock. I imagine, though, that if there are more than one big retailer at the show, we may have a reasonable choice of models to try.

I attend the show for the masterclasses and performances as much as to ogle the gear, and i haven't been disappointed so far (20+ years attending what used to be called the London Music Show, then the LIMS, then the LBGS).
[/quote]It is only my second one. I am making it an annual event. The wife goes shopping with her friend, and i go to the show. It is ideal really. I like coming to London, so it doesn`t make a great deal of difference, as i wouldn`t buy a Fender anyway. Warwick on the other hand, that is a disappointment. I would rather they said that exhibitors didn`t want to come and give a reason instead of there will be everyday shops there. I am looking forward to the ACG and Eve stand

Edited by timmo

No Warwick stand at the LBGS this year, I'm afraid. Confirmed by Hans-Peter. :( :sorry: :sad:

[quote]Dear Silvia, its true we will not be attending the London Bass Guitar Show this year. Due to the fact we are busy with the Ladies BassCamp and we will not be able to properly coordinate both events. Best regards, HP.[/quote]

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1424201830' post='2693840']
A Fender stand would have been much better.
[/quote]

Why?
I was at the show for the first year and Fender a big stand in the middle of the floor, they bought along their new Bass Amps, so a few big tube stacks, and then just the new American Vintage range, so about 3 Precisions and 3 Jazz Basses or so. There might have been a few other bits and pieces, but no more than what Bass Direct or others had on their stands really.

Si

It shouldn't matter if it was fender,Warwick, or any other manufacturer, the point is that manufacturers not seeming to think it is worth going to the show. I know there are independent makers there which is why
great. The main manufacturers are the ones that pull in the punters. Bass direct,which incidentally I am happy they will be there,will not pull in the crowds. Obviously only my opinion. Without the big names attending, the show will die. Especially if the lime up for the masterclass are perceived to be weak,or the same ones keep coming back.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1424183899' post='2693559']
Exactly, want more exhibitors there next year? Come along and support the show this year and perhaps the numbers will persuade the exhibitors to turn up next year?
If you're not fussed about supporting the show, why should an exhibitor turn up for you not to be there?
[/quote]

I don't think this is very fair, putting the blame for a lacklustre show on those of us that haven't bought tickets. Surely it's the organisers' responsibilty to make an event appealing enough to attract the punters? I'm certainly not in a position to spend money on a ticket for what's looking to be a bit of a half-arsed event (at least in comparison to previous years) in the vague hope that the next one might be better.
It's a clear correlation to me - previous bass shows with loads of star turns and exhibitors have sold well, this year hasn't on either front.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1424353226' post='2695452']

I don't think this is very fair, putting the blame for a lacklustre show on those of us that haven't bought tickets. Surely it's the organisers' responsibilty to make an event appealing enough to attract the punters?
[/quote]
Quite. I go to the cinema to see films that interest me, not support the film industry by going just for the sake of it. Why should I spend money on a show that doesn't have anything that I want to see? Blaze Publicity are a business, not a charity.

Sweet, didn't see Jah last time, so looking forward to it!

With regards to the above comment of "They're all show-off players"? Very odd. Divinity, Jah Wobble, Steve Lawson, Ethan Farmer. I wouldn't call any of these players show-offs, can they show-off? Sure, because they're asked to at a bass show, do they earn the bulk of their income showing off, definitely not.
I'd probably even argue that for Sheehan & Hamm too, sure they can show off, they get booked for the firework shredding etc, but they'll be the first to say that it's all silly and just for fun.
If all you see from a life-time of work is what people upload on Youtube from gear shows, maybe you should attend to actually hear what they're about?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1424712258' post='2699480']
Sweet, didn't see Jah last time, so looking forward to it!

With regards to the above comment of "They're all show-off players"? Very odd. Divinity, Jah Wobble, Steve Lawson, Ethan Farmer. I wouldn't call any of these players show-offs, can they show-off? Sure, because they're asked to at a bass show, do they earn the bulk of their income showing off, definitely not.
I'd probably even argue that for Sheehan & Hamm too, sure they can show off, they get booked for the firework shredding etc, but they'll be the first to say that it's all silly and just for fun.
If all you see from a life-time of work is what people upload on Youtube from gear shows, maybe you should attend to actually hear what they're about?

Si
[/quote]

I'd just like to see some more bassists from bands tell us about their approach to songs. Why are there no guys like Cass Lewis, Michael McKeegan, Duff, Nicky Wire, Jason Newsted etc. If I have to hear Stu Hamm do that country and western tap thing he ALWAYS puts in his solos for the last 30 years I'm going to lose my mind! (Although I will admit to learning it!)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1424254033' post='2694299']
No Warwick stand at the LBGS this year, I'm afraid. Confirmed by Hans-Peter. :( :sorry: :sad:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]'Dear Silvia, its true we will not be attending the London Bass Guitar Show this year. Due to the fact we are busy with the Ladies BassCamp and we will not be able to properly coordinate both events. Best regards, HP'.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

That's a great shame of course, but I want to know more about the Ladies BassCamp... I'm hoping it's a typo.