Why become a member? ×

The cost of a Fodera. Worth it?

thebassist

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459777819' post='3019482']
I dunno, punching horses is a young mans game. Maybe I should go back to nailing squirrels to wooden boards like my dad.
[/quote]
That's more social anyway, if you're lucky there might be a few sessions local to you where you get a couple of free beers for taking part.

Off topic and for a political debate, and I am not by any means ANY kind of expert on this matter, but isn't the majority (apparently almost 98.8%) of the NHS funds sought from general taxation and National Insurance.

I've had mainly positive experiences with the NHS, most of the time. I think its a fantastic part of our culture, and I applaud those who work long hours within it.

However, if the above stands true, we are in fact paying for our own healthcare, in a sense (even if it is just a small percentage of it), by working and contributing to the economy. My recent tax and National Insurance payments are insane. We also pay into a system that helps others.

It is not for me to comment on the USA. I haven't spoken to anyone about it in years, but when I did, they just say those that had the means would buy their own insurance.

If I could afford to (house saving denies this!) I would go private myself.

I don't personally think that stating they provide for healthcare is helpful for anyone in the UK who also pays for their own healthcare by working.

Sorry - no idea where that came from!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1459780667' post='3019524']
Off topic and for a political debate, and I am not by any means ANY kind of expert on this matter, but isn't the majority (apparently almost 98.8%) of the NHS funds sought from general taxation and National Insurance.

I've had mainly positive experiences with the NHS, most of the time. I think its a fantastic part of our culture, and I applaud those who work long hours within it.

However, if the above stands true, we are in fact paying for our own healthcare, in a sense (even if it is just a small percentage of it), by working and contributing to the economy. My recent tax and National Insurance payments are insane. We also pay into a system that helps others.

It is not for me to comment on the USA. I haven't spoken to anyone about it in years, but when I did, they just say those that had the means would buy their own insurance.

If I could afford to (house saving denies this!) I would go private myself.

I don't personally think that stating they provide for healthcare is helpful for anyone in the UK who also pays for their own healthcare by working.

Sorry - no idea where that came from!
[/quote]

This is actually a subject I'm quite passionate about - I think A&E is superb but I don't think a lot of the NHS works well overall generally.

Both my grandfathers, my wife's dad and my dad died from horrible illnesses and I don't think the NHS helped very much. Both my grandfathers died of organ failure after a few months of treatment due to the damage caused by chemotherapy - I think they both probably would have lived longer and more comfortably without it.

My dad was back and forth to the GP telling them something was wrong and after about a year of doing this constantly, they finally agreed to send him for tests. By the time the results came back there was nothing that could be done to save him and my wife's dad had a similar situation - he was bleeding for 18 months and they kept on cancelling his appointments and putting them back.

They've helped a lot of people of course but if given a choice I'd probably prefer to keep my taxation and pay for private insurance.