Why become a member? ×

Newbie bass tunes

Gomez68

Hi guys I have an eclectic taste from alternative rock QOTSA , foos , incubus to old scool stuff I grew up with joe Jackson , jam, old scool bass funk, Motown etc my question is any ideas for basic bass tunes ? I need new ideas please no smoke on the water ha thanks

Could you give an insight into anything you can already play?
I think people will be able to give you better suggestions, if they have an idea of the songs you can play, or are learning to play.
I'd recommend always trying to learn a song you think will be too difficult, along with others you think you will be able to play.
You'll always be working toward something then.

Some easy Stone Roses, She Bangs the Drums, Waterfall. That was my whole 1990 12 year old boy start. Mani got me into bass in a big way and now I always end up playing She Caught the Katy and other Duck Dunn stuff. Always relax playing my Jazz after a rubbish day at work just trying new lines

[quote name='Gomez68' timestamp='1415222036' post='2598173']
Hi guys I have an eclectic taste from alternative rock QOTSA , foos , incubus to old scool stuff I grew up with joe Jackson , jam, old scool bass funk, Motown etc my question is any ideas for basic bass tunes ? I need new ideas please no smoke on the water ha thanks
[/quote]

QOTSA - Go with the flow is pretty easy.
Incubus - I miss you is so easy, you will have more trouble staying awake during it.

No "Smoke On The Water"?

Here's a good one ... "Smoke On The Water", but play it properly. Particularly the guitar solo bit. Same goes for Black Night ... not as straightforward as you think once you actually listen to the bass part (and inevitably look at transcriptions and online tabs at Songster etc)... Roger Glover is quite a handy compositor of melodic bass lines!

Another good exercise is the bass bit in the middle of "All Right Now", with top notes fretted properly and including bouncing off the A string in between ... quite entertaining on a Thunderbird where access up there isn't all it could be!

Edited by HengistPod

Thanks some great ideas ! Funkshui I'm learning Cochise at the moment a bit of get lucky and day tripper ! I love the funk stuff but my slapping at funk is going to be a while away ha I love James Jamersons bass lines! The main bass lines I really thought was wow I love this sound was hearing the bass to fever and off the joe Jackson alb stepping out ! Oh and pinos bass on Paul Young albums.😃