Why become a member? ×

HELP MY ASHDOWN JUST WENT BBBBRRRRR

Leslie77s

That is what happened to my EvoII combo, only way to stop it is to turn the power off, mute or volume knob does nothing? I replaced the valve thought it was OK, wedding gig with a couple of hundred guests just getting the second set everyone up dancing and off it went, louder than the full EV pa mid song, Ashdown at the time were useless and had no interest in service or repairs but everyone praises them now so maybe that is the best bet? proper weird nothing obvious intermittent problem, sold mine on ebay as spares or repairs for £125 (£750 new) swapped to the Genz in an emergency as I had loads of gigs never looked back.

Yeah that's it, power off is the only way to stop it and it's so loud and disturbing I was tempted to switch it off with a big stick in case it fried me! Not good news. I always thought it sounded quite good too.
I'll try calling them but it's a fair age now. I'm currently using my old Bassmans and Ampeg cabs so it's not a disaster for up coming weddings etc. I'll buy a new lighter rig in the new year.
Thanks for the info!

That sounds like an amplified mains hum to me - there's supposed to be some way of working out where the issue is based on the frequency of the hum, at least with valve amps (something about whether it's 50Hz or 100Hz - I think the 100Hz hum is the rectified power after it's been converted from AC to DC). Might be the smoothing capacitor has failed?

Funnily enough, I've got a Evo II 300 head sitting here that started doing the same thing. I never got it fixed cos I had only just had got it fixed for another thing and decided just to replace it. If you find out what was wrong and how much it cost you to fix, let us know, it might be worthwhile for me to put this one in for a check up!

FWIW I've got an ABM300 head that has taken some abuse over hundreds of gigs and the only issues I've had were one dry solder joint on the preamp and the transformer bolt coming loose.

Your best bet is to contact Ashdown directly who will probably suggest sending it to them so they can diagnose. I was never asked for a single penny for the work undertaken on mine, and they also paid the return shipping. Unbeatable customer service.

It sounds like (no pun intended..!) either a 'shot' rectifier, which converts AC to DC for the power supply, or a smoothing capacitor no longer performing its function, which is to smooth the rectified DC into a constant, non-rippling voltage; again, in the power supply.
Do not turn it on again yourself. Take it to a competent repair bloke,preferably with Ashdown experience. The good news is that it should be neither difficult nor inordinately expensive to rectify (pun intended..!).
Good luck with it; let us know how this progresses, please..?