Why become a member? ×

The Alternative Rock Factfile. It's Back for a Christmas Edition!

yorks5stringer

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1450883507' post='2936696']
Blue oyster cults' biggest hit , was about recording music on your home computer and the frustration that goes with it . The somg 'don't fear the reaper ', suggests that they are not fans of GarageBand
[/quote]

As well as being decades ahead of their time on the recording front, the cult also predicted the rise of the blue oyster:

Here it is, the Christmas Bassist Names Quiz. Clearly a quick visit to the Search Engine of your choice ( I only use Bing during December!) will yield the answers but it may be more fun to try and work them out from the clues. Equally if they make no sense then a PM or question on the thread will be answered promptly.
The name for letter 'X' is firstly that of a Band, hence the 3 letters.The rest 7-5 should be easy
Format is Surname First e.g. McCartney Paul

A..... ..... Almost 20 when she released her debut (6-5)
B….. .... Not in Cast but a Heavy Metaller (6-4)
C..... ....... Studied Art and the Pharoes back in the day (6-7)
D... .... ...... Didn’t play on Mickey’s Monkey 4-4-6
E........ .... Doctor? You’ll never guess this one (9-4)
F... Should really have played on ‘Bad Things’ by Jace Everett (4)
G..... ..... Sun, water and smoke should reveal him (6-5)
H..... ..... Not for turning from Grantham (6-5)
I.... ...... Could have been 3&3 but is (5-6)
J....... ..... Laid back Bass pioneer? (8-5)
K... ..... One of my Pet Bassists (4-5)
L..... .... His distinctive moves could be caught by moonlight (6-4)
M.... .... West Coast Fishery moves North (5-4)
N.......... ....... Free like a Bird Bassister (11-7)
O..... ..... All men in this band (6-5)
P........ .... Alliterative Welsh-Italian (9-4)
Q..... .... She woke up in a skid (6-4)
R..... ..... Becker and Fagen and Rikki Lee Jones loves him (6-5)
S.... Should really be in BigRedX’s Band (5)
T..... ..... Never doubt his attractive pumping basslines (6-5)
U...... .... In the ‘biggest band nobody has ever heard of’ (7-4)
V...... ... Some might say his playing was Boll*cks (7-3)
W......... ....... On his marks for a DC gig (10-7)
X.. ........ ..... Bassist from the Band with 3 letters … (7-5)
Y... .... Chintzy subterranean Christmas sounds (4-4)
Z..... ...... On the road again (6-6)

Maybe rather than posting the completed answers, the first to do so says as much and PM's me thus not spoiling it for the other 3 doing it...

Edited by yorks5stringer

Think I have 18 out of 26 so far.

I have...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2][spoiler][/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]A..... ..... Almost 20 when she released her debut (6-5)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]B….. .... Not in Cast but a Heavy Metaller (6-4)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]C..... ....... Studied Art and the Pharoes back in the day (6-7)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]D... .... ...... Didn’t play on Mickey’s Monkey 4-4-6[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]E........ .... Doctor? You’ll never guess this one (9-4)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]F - Flea[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]G – Roger Glover[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]H – Steve Harris [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]I.... ...... Could have been 3&3 but is (5-6)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]J....... ..... Laid back Bass pioneer? (8-5)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]K – [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Carol Kaye[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]L – Phil Lynott[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]M – [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]John McVie[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]N - [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Meshell Ndegeocello[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]O – [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Berry Oakley[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]P – [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Pino Palladino [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Q - [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Suzi Quatro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]R – [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Chuck Rainey[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]S - [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Sting[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]T – [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Bruce Thomas[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]U – [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Chad Urmston[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]V – Sid Vicious[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]W – [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Freddie Washington[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]X.. ........ ..... Bassist from the Band with 3 letters … (7-5)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Y – [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Doug Yule [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Z – [/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Stuart Zender[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Anyone want to fill in the gaps???[/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2][/spoiler][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by wmsheep

Yes , you are doing very well: unsurprisingly everyone else has 18/26 now too.

'A' is not known as a Bassist but played on a couple of tracks on their debut
'B' think of an alloy rather than heavy metal
'C' when I said 'back in the day' I could have meant at 'school'
'D' Mickey could be Mouse.. what about other Disney Characters?
'E' Been all over the TV this Christmas
'I' There could be an album title in the original clue
'J' reputedly he recorded some tracks lying on his back
'X' I planned the answer to be Nigel but he got high on....

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1450979471' post='2937618']
Answers below

Adkins Adele Almost 20 when she released her debut (6-5)
Bronze Dave Not in Cast but a Heavy Metaller (6-4)
Clarke Stanley Studied Art and the Pharoes back in the day (6-7)
Dunn Duck Donald Didn’t play on Mickey’s Monkey 4-4-6
Entwistle John Doctor? You’ll never guess this one (9-4)
Flea Should really have played on ‘Bad Things’ by Jace Everett (4)
Glover Roger Sun, water and smoke should reveal him (6-5)
Harris Steve Not for turning from Grantham (6-5)
Isley Marvin Could have been 3&3 but is (5-6)
Jamerson James Laid back Bass pioneer? (8-5)
Kaye Carol One of my Pet Bassists (4-5)
Lynott Phil His distinctive moves could be caught by moonlight (6-4)
McVie John West Coast Fishery moves North (5-4)
Ndegeocello Meshell Free like a Bird Bassister (11-7)
Oakley Berry All men in this band (6-5)
Palladino Pino Alliterative Welsh-Italian (9-4)
Quatro Suzi She woke up in a skid (6-4)
Rainey Chuck Becker and Fagen and Rikki Lee Jones loves him (6-5)
Sting Should really be in BigRedX’s Band (5)
Thomas Bruce Never doubt his attractive pumping basslines (6-5)
Urmston Chad In the ‘biggest band nobody has ever heard of’ (7-4)
Vicious Sid Some might say his playing was Boll*cks (7-3)
Washington Freddie On his marks for a DC gig (10-7)
XTC Moulding Colin Bassist from the Band with 3 letters … (7-5)
Yule Doug Chintzy subterranean Christmas sounds (4-4)
Zender Stuart On the road again (6-6)

[/quote]

Edited by yorks5stringer

• 2 months later...

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1457951467' post='3003193']
Prior to forming "Wax" with Graham Goulman, Andrew Gold mooted a collaboration with Fish ex Marillion. As usual they were stuck for a name, so nothing ever came of it....
[/quote]

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends (alternative rock file).

Also mooted was a trio with Keith 'fingers' Emerson*, but they could not decide between the two obvious band names, so nothing ever came of it.

[size=3]* Still in shock at the news of the death of Emerson and how it happened. In my late teens he and Johnny Winter rarely left my turntable, once I'd shaken off being a passive Beatle fan (which is something like being a passive smoker) [/size]
[size=3]RIP Mr Emerson.[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...