Why become a member? ×

Mantic Effects Vitriol Distortion

bakerster135

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1416172542' post='2607651']
Am I the only one that thinks it sounds crap then? Not much low end even with the low knob cranked!
[/quote]

Ha, really!? On that video, to me, it sounds like it's got more low end than his dry signal with the "Lo" knob at noon...Maybe it's my earphones! :huh:

I have to disagree though, love the tone of it. Grindy and aggressive, with a fuzz-like quality, and unlike a RAT (n.b. I love RATs, btw!) it stays focused and flab-free when you take the gain past 12 o'clock!

Edited by bakerster135

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1473193990' post='3127960']
Zombie thread rising from the grave, anyone tried one yet?
[/quote]

Yes! Bought one off here last month, from Eddie (Pinball), and I love it! It replaced my Crowella Animato copy, and does a better job (without the need for a blender!). Good low end retention, adds some if anything...Gets really distorted without losing the gnarly top end bite, which my TK-421 can't do.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1473268898' post='3128564']
Yes! Bought one off here last month, from Eddie (Pinball), and I love it! It replaced my Crowella Animato copy, and does a better job (without the need for a blender!). Good low end retention, adds some if anything...Gets really distorted without losing the gnarly top end bite, which my TK-421 can't do.
[/quote]

Awesome! So it's good for Muse stuff? Was thinking about a RAT for muse songs but this would do? A few people on talkbass were suggesting that there's low end loss have you found that?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1473265570' post='3128516']
Changed your mind on that then? :)
[/quote]

haha, yep, listened with headphones and less drunk ;)

in my defence, I have changed my mind on a great many things in the last 2 years!!

Edited by GazWills

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1473272363' post='3128602']

Awesome! So it's good for Muse stuff? Was thinking about a RAT for muse songs but this would do? A few people on talkbass were suggesting that there's low end loss have you found that?
[/quote]

I think it adds a little bass personally, with the LPF on full, but I feel it has a bit of a (BDDI-esque) scoop which may add to that perception.

Definitely spot on for the Hyper Music-type tone though. Has the nasal, buzz-saw, almost fuzz type distortion that the Animato has. I tend to find the RAT a bit too brittle or wooly for that particular application.

Edited by bakerster135

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1473268898' post='3128564']
[/quote]

I liked it when I had had, you could get get some really unique sounds out of it. Unfortunately my band weren't as keen. I think our guitarist felt threatened :)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1473325132' post='3129027']
I think it adds a little bass personally, with the LPF on full, but I feel it has a bit of a (BDDI-esque) scoop which may add to that perception.

Definitely spot on for the Hyper Music-type tone though. Has the nasal, buzz-saw, almost fuzz type distortion that the Animato has. I tend to find the RAT a bit too brittle or wooly for that particular application.
[/quote]

Damn this isn't helping my GAS haha. Have you experienced any low end loss? If I was to go for a RAT I'd look at the MXR M85 distortion or ideally the Dunwich Volt Thrower.

I still say it is one of the worst sounding pedals I have ever heard, from this demo at least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4L3PwjvkZs

I read the threads on the Volt Thrower too. The rave reviews made me want one, the cool looking box made me want one even more. Then I heard it and lost interest instantly!

I've heard some good demos of the MXR though (at low to medium gain at least)!

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1473336519' post='3129227']

Damn this isn't helping my GAS haha. Have you experienced any low end loss? If I was to go for a RAT I'd look at the MXR M85 distortion or ideally the Dunwich Volt Thrower.
[/quote]

No low end loss on the Vitriol. If you're looking for a RAT, COG TK-421 is the one, with the LM308. MXR sounds like an even sloppier Rat Tail IME, fizzy and lacking the cut of the original.