Why become a member? ×

Rush at their best?

xilddx

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1421844694' post='2665606']
I don't really know if this track is typical... but I'll wager it is as it sounds like everything else I've heard
from them... not that I have dug deep to check them out, tbf.
My take is that it is proficient but there is no heart and soul ...and just no music in it.
That is about as polite as I can be.

Very successful over the years, no doubt.
[/quote]

Just out of interest what sort of music do you play?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1421845337' post='2665624']
oooh..get you..? :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Well, it is a rather odd attitude that you display.

There are lots of bands that I don't particularly like, but I wouldn't seek out threads about them and post the purported reasons for my dislike. That just seems pointless and rather insulting to the people who do like that band... And even more so from a musician. :unsure: :(

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1421848855' post='2665699']

Well, it is a rather odd attitude that you display.

There are lots of bands that I don't particularly like, but I wouldn't seek out threads about them and post the purported reasons for my dislike. That just seems pointless and rather insulting to the people who do like that band... And even more so from a musician. :unsure: :(
[/quote]
Don't take it too serious. He does it a couple of times every year :)

They are my all time favourite band. I like lots of other bands and genres, but Rush are my all time favourites and I'm not in the least bit annoyed if someone says they don't like them. Everyone is different. My girlfriends family are Rush daft, but her sisters husband hates them. It's not a problem. He just doesn't get invited when we all go see Them !

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1420389371' post='2648707']
For me, Power Windows is very nearly The Perfect Album. Not a single duff track, wall to wall fabulousness.
[/quote]

Curious... that's where they dropped off my list of "artists whose albums I will immediately buy unread". Time to go back for another listen, methinks...

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1421850355' post='2665737']
They are my all time favourite band. I'm not in the least bit annoyed if someone says they don't like them.
[/quote]

Me neither (despite the impression I may have given earlier)!

I am just interested as to why a musician would rubbish the efforts of other (very established and wealthy) musicians who bring a lot of pleasure to thousands of fans/listeners... I find it difficult to fathom.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1421851291' post='2665761']
Me neither (despite the impression I may have given earlier)!

I am just interested as to why a musician would rubbish the efforts of other (very established and wealthy) musicians who bring a lot of pleasure to thousands of fans/listeners... I find it difficult to fathom.
[/quote]

It's the lack of heart and soul accusations that bemuse me. They are one of the most heart and soul bands there is. And they've proved it time and again.

They have been inducted into the Rock and roll hall of fame, somewhat belatedly right enough , sold millions of albums, have inspired millions of musicians, famous ones too, are masters of their craft, are stinking rich. I don't think they care if some folks don't care for their music. ;)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1421845745' post='2665633']
I disagree about the 'heart and soul' comment but understand how it could have that effect, but I really don't understand the 'no music' comment. Can you elaborate?
[/quote]

Didn't really want to as you can see from the reaction above.... but the whole thing comes over as
lacking... a sequence of meandering riffs, runs and fills. I don't see or hear any real musicality either
but a decent degree of proficientcy in executing it.

So, stuff like this has no real connection for me... there is nothing that grasps ..nothing that captures and nothing
there at all, basically. If you took away the presentation and large scale of it..plus the fact that you know it is them, it
all sounds like a poor pub prog band. If I close my eyes...or if you just played an audio, that is what I'd think.

Music for me must have soul... and stuff like this just doesn't..it is all notes, and nothing else there.... IMHO, of course.
Sorry for that...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1421846718' post='2665658']
Just out of interest what sort of music do you play?
[/quote]

All sorts really.
I'll dep covers, I'll do jazz or blues dates and I'll do original projects.
I'm basically interested in gigs that look interesting and look after you.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1421845896' post='2665642']
Just because you are unable to perceive it does not mean it's not there. You keep on saying this sh*t and still you know nothing about them.
[/quote]

I'll run that by you when you pile in on the likes of Jesse J, X Factor etc etc etc etc etc etc ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1421919067' post='2666490']
All sorts really.
I'll dep covers, I'll do jazz or blues dates and I'll do original projects.
I'm basically interested in gigs that look interesting and look after you.
[/quote]

And what kind of music do you choose to listen to? Care to name some artists? I'm just interested in what floats your boat...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1421849747' post='2665724']
Don't take it too serious. He does it a couple of times every year :)
[/quote]

Well... these threads crop up every couple of times a year...
but yes, nobody takes them very seriously.

When I was growing up and listening to all sorts... I gave these guys a wide berth
and my first instincts are very good. Nothing I've heard since has changed my mind.

They are a typical hobby guys band..no insult intended if people think this applies to anyone, ... where endless and aimless widdle or riffola seems to impress a tad too much... ( ok, that last line might be a bit OOT ) I am not sure their fan base gets much higher than that, tbh.
No musician mate I know rates them..or maybe they do, but never mentioned them, otherwise I'd know..:lol:
I respect the fact that they have grossed gazillions in their career as everyone knows, that in itself is not at all easy.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1421919641' post='2666499']
And what kind of music do you choose to listen to? Care to name some artists? I'm just interested in what floats your boat...
[/quote]

Not really... this willy waving contest doesn't interest me..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1421918799' post='2666484']
Didn't really want to as you can see from the reaction above.... but the whole thing comes over as
lacking... a sequence of meandering riffs, runs and fills. I don't see or hear any real musicality either
but a decent degree of proficientcy in executing it.

So, stuff like this has no real connection for me... there is nothing that grasps ..nothing that captures and nothing
there at all, basically. If you took away the presentation and large scale of it..plus the fact that you know it is them, it
all sounds like a poor pub prog band. If I close my eyes...or if you just played an audio, that is what I'd think.

Music for me must have soul... and stuff like this just doesn't..it is all notes, and nothing else there.... IMHO, of course.
Sorry for that...
[/quote]

I'm what could be classed as a rabid fan of many years' standing, but I can totally see where you're coming from. Fact is, they're an acquired taste.

And to be honest, what you say about [i]'a sequence of meandering riffs, runs and fills'[/i] is pretty much how I feel about their current output. I still love 'em, though, which is typical of the loyalty of their fanbase.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1421919845' post='2666505']
Not really... this willy waving contest doesn't interest me..
[/quote]

It's not "willy waving" at all. I like to think of myself as having a pretty rounded and broad musical taste (much like myself, before anyone else says it!). There are few bands that I really dislike.

I don't listen to Rush all the time, but when I am "in the mood" nothing else will do. I like a lot of rock music, but I also listen to (and play on occasion) funk, soul, blues, prog, punk, pop.... I can see good things in all of it.

As someone who has a lot of negative things to say about various bands, I am interested to know what you listen to. It's not intended to be a competition...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421921070' post='2666525']
I'm what could be classed as a rabid fan of many years' standing, but I can totally see where you're coming from. Fact is, they're an acquired taste.

And to be honest, what you say about [i]'a sequence of meandering riffs, runs and fills'[/i] is pretty much how I feel about their current output. I still love 'em, though, which is typical of the loyalty of their fanbase.
[/quote]

Fair enough.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1421919789' post='2666504']

Well... these threads crop up every couple of times a year...
but yes, nobody takes them very seriously.

When I was growing up and listening to all sorts... I gave these guys a wide berth
and my first instincts are very good. Nothing I've heard since has changed my mind.

They are a typical hobby guys band..no insult intended if people think this applies to anyone, ... where endless and aimless widdle or riffola seems to impress a tad too much... ( ok, that last line might be a bit OOT ) I am not sure their fan base gets much higher than that, tbh.
No musician mate I know rates them..or maybe they do, but never mentioned them, otherwise I'd know..:lol:
I respect the fact that they have grossed gazillions in their career as everyone knows, that in itself is not at all easy.
[/quote]
Lord knows what you must think of classical orchestral music.