Skol303

BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO HOME RECORDING

Try googling "focusrite scarlett unbuntu" - plenty of information available on various linux forums...

Oh, I did! There was indeed a lot of information, mostly from people saying they'd had positive results (and a few enthusiastically claiming their Ubuntu partition handled it better than Windows 7...) Thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone else had other advice - hadn't come across the issues about proprietary drivers, so thank you for flagging that one! Edited by Dad3353

You should be fine as there's a lot of developing been done. Do not be surprised if you plug it and just works and don't be surprised too if when plugged it comes as some generic USB name.

You should be fine as there's a lot of developing been done. Do not be surprised if you plug it and just works and don't be surprised too if when plugged it comes as some generic USB name.

Perhaps I should report back: I've had one for just over a week now, and been very pleasantly surprised that not only did it work straight away, but the JACK server also recognises it as a Scarlett 2i2! Edited by Dad3353

Because the Scarlett series is class compliant (ie it uses the core audio driver), and we test heavily on Mac (which is obviously Unix based as well), there shouldn't be any issues on Linux type systems...although we don't test them directly, just Mac & Windows are 'officially' supported.

Si
Focusrite

Because the Scarlett series is class compliant (ie it uses the core audio driver), and we test heavily on Mac (which is obviously Unix based as well), there shouldn't be any issues on Linux type systems...although we don't test them directly, just Mac & Windows are 'officially' supported.

I'm very pleased to report that I haven't encountered any issues! Worked straight out of the box, and the improvement in sound quality is absolutely wonderful. Only thing I have found is a bit of a clash if there's more than one USB audio device attached to the computer - but that's just down to my very limited competence with JACK! Edited by Dad3353

I'm very pleased to report that I haven't encountered any issues! Worked straight out of the box, and the improvement in sound quality is absolutely wonderful. Only thing I have found is a bit of a clash if there's more than one USB audio device attached to the computer - but that's just down to my very limited competence with JACK!

That's good to hear!
The multiple USB audio device issue doesn't surprise me, MacOS is still crap at setting up aggregate devices too!

Si Edited by Dad3353

Hi , I'm really keen on reading this whole thread but it's got lots of program commands in Brackets showing up making it difficult , I don't see this on other general threads I use regularly.

can anyone help ?

36 minutes ago, lojo said:

Hi , I'm really keen on reading this whole thread but it's got lots of program commands in Brackets showing up making it difficult , I don't see this on other general threads I use regularly.

can anyone help ?

Yeah, the thread got trashed as a consequence of the Basschat site being redeveloped (itself a positive step for sure), so it's now full of unsightly 'web gunk' and missing images.

To be honest it needs scrapping and re-doing. Not least because it looks like a dog's dinner, but also because some of the information is already out-of-date, such is the speed of progress with music tech.

I will get round to this at some point, but in the meantime you can:

1. Download a PDF copy, which is attached to this post (you'll need to be logged-in to do so, I think)
  2. Post any specific questions you have here and I'll endeavour to answer along with other Rec' forum regulars.

Hope that helps :) 

home_recording_guide.pdf

Edited by Skol303

23 minutes ago, lojo said:

Thanks , a mod has also said he will look at cleaning up the thread 

... and done (all except the 'Smilies'; I'll do them later, one by one...).

Enjoy.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

... and done (all except the 'Smilies'; I'll do them later, one by one...).

Cheers Doug :drinks:

... and that's the 'Smilies' updated, too (until the next forum upgrade 9_9...!).

• Like 1

If one buys the Focusrite Scarlet interfaces, does it come with DAW software bundled. And if so, which one and is it just a 30 day thing or completely free?

5 minutes ago, I Denby said:

If one buys the Focusrite Scarlet interfaces, does it come with DAW software bundled. And if so, which one and is it just a 30 day thing or completely free?

Normally it's Cubase LE or Protools First, both are highly restricted versions of the real deal. But there are lots of free alternatives or cheaper ones (Reaper) that are fully functional.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, I Denby said:

I've used Focusrite scarlet for three years. it came with free Ableton live lite 9 and other plug ins. I've recently purchased Focusrite scarlet and it came with Ableton live lite 10 free version and more plug ins. It is a basic DAW with 8 tracks. It does the job.

Just to clarify a few things, Scarletts currently come with the following software/plugins:

- Ableton Live Lite 10
- Pro Tools First - Focusrite Creative Pack (more details here: https://focusrite.com/Pro-Tools-First)
- XLN Audio Addictive Keys
- Red Plug-in Suite
- Scarlett Plug-in Suite

- Softube Time and Tone Bundle
- Access to Plug-in Collective
- 2GB of Loopmasters samples

You can read more about each of those around halfway down the product page for each Scarlett in the range, for example: https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-2i2

Happy to answer any other questions of course :)
Simon // Focusrite

Edited by Sibob
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2019 at 11:55, Sibob said:

Just to clarify a few things, Scarletts currently come with the following software/plugins:

- Ableton Live Lite 10
- Pro Tools First - Focusrite Creative Pack (more details here: https://focusrite.com/Pro-Tools-First)
- XLN Audio Addictive Keys
- Red Plug-in Suite
- Softube Time and Tone Bundle
- Access to Plug-in Collective
- 2GB of Loopmasters samples

You can read more about each of those around halfway down the product page for each Scarlett in the range, for example: https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-2i2

Happy to answer any other questions of course :)
Simon // Focusrite

Does it no longer come with the Scarlett plug in suite?

35 minutes ago, RedVee said:

Does it no longer come with the Scarlett plug in suite?

Oooo well spotted, they do, I missed them. Adding to the lists now :)

Si