Why become a member? ×

BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO HOME RECORDING

Skol303

Try googling "focusrite scarlett unbuntu" - plenty of information available on various linux forums...

Oh, I did! There was indeed a lot of information, mostly from people saying they'd had positive results (and a few enthusiastically claiming their Ubuntu partition handled it better than Windows 7...) Thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone else had other advice - hadn't come across the issues about proprietary drivers, so thank you for flagging that one! Edited by Dad3353

• 3 weeks later...

You should be fine as there's a lot of developing been done. Do not be surprised if you plug it and just works and don't be surprised too if when plugged it comes as some generic USB name.

Perhaps I should report back: I've had one for just over a week now, and been very pleasantly surprised that not only did it work straight away, but the JACK server also recognises it as a Scarlett 2i2! Edited by Dad3353

• 1 month later...

Because the Scarlett series is class compliant (ie it uses the core audio driver), and we test heavily on Mac (which is obviously Unix based as well), there shouldn't be any issues on Linux type systems...although we don't test them directly, just Mac & Windows are 'officially' supported.

Si
Focusrite

Because the Scarlett series is class compliant (ie it uses the core audio driver), and we test heavily on Mac (which is obviously Unix based as well), there shouldn't be any issues on Linux type systems...although we don't test them directly, just Mac & Windows are 'officially' supported.

I'm very pleased to report that I haven't encountered any issues! Worked straight out of the box, and the improvement in sound quality is absolutely wonderful. Only thing I have found is a bit of a clash if there's more than one USB audio device attached to the computer - but that's just down to my very limited competence with JACK! Edited by Dad3353

I'm very pleased to report that I haven't encountered any issues! Worked straight out of the box, and the improvement in sound quality is absolutely wonderful. Only thing I have found is a bit of a clash if there's more than one USB audio device attached to the computer - but that's just down to my very limited competence with JACK!

That's good to hear!
The multiple USB audio device issue doesn't surprise me, MacOS is still crap at setting up aggregate devices too!

Si Edited by Dad3353

• 7 months later...
36 minutes ago, lojo said:

Hi , I'm really keen on reading this whole thread but it's got lots of program commands in Brackets showing up making it difficult , I don't see this on other general threads I use regularly.

can anyone help ?

Yeah, the thread got trashed as a consequence of the Basschat site being redeveloped (itself a positive step for sure), so it's now full of unsightly 'web gunk' and missing images.

To be honest it needs scrapping and re-doing. Not least because it looks like a dog's dinner, but also because some of the information is already out-of-date, such is the speed of progress with music tech.

I will get round to this at some point, but in the meantime you can:

1. Download a PDF copy, which is attached to this post (you'll need to be logged-in to do so, I think)
  2. Post any specific questions you have here and I'll endeavour to answer along with other Rec' forum regulars.

Hope that helps :) 

home_recording_guide.pdf

Edited by Skol303

• 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, I Denby said:

If one buys the Focusrite Scarlet interfaces, does it come with DAW software bundled. And if so, which one and is it just a 30 day thing or completely free?

Normally it's Cubase LE or Protools First, both are highly restricted versions of the real deal. But there are lots of free alternatives or cheaper ones (Reaper) that are fully functional.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, I Denby said:

If one buys the Focusrite Scarlet interfaces, does it come with DAW software bundled. And if so, which one and is it just a 30 day thing or completely free?

I've used Focusrite scarlet for three years. it came with free Ableton live lite 9 and other plug ins. I've recently purchased Focusrite scarlet and it came with Ableton live lite 10 free version and more plug ins. It is a basic DAW with 8 tracks. It does the job.

Just to clarify a few things, Scarletts currently come with the following software/plugins:

- Ableton Live Lite 10
- Pro Tools First - Focusrite Creative Pack (more details here: https://focusrite.com/Pro-Tools-First)
- XLN Audio Addictive Keys
- Red Plug-in Suite
- Scarlett Plug-in Suite

- Softube Time and Tone Bundle
- Access to Plug-in Collective
- 2GB of Loopmasters samples

You can read more about each of those around halfway down the product page for each Scarlett in the range, for example: https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-2i2

Happy to answer any other questions of course :)
Simon // Focusrite

Edited by Sibob
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2019 at 11:55, Sibob said:

Just to clarify a few things, Scarletts currently come with the following software/plugins:

- Ableton Live Lite 10
- Pro Tools First - Focusrite Creative Pack (more details here: https://focusrite.com/Pro-Tools-First)
- XLN Audio Addictive Keys
- Red Plug-in Suite
- Softube Time and Tone Bundle
- Access to Plug-in Collective
- 2GB of Loopmasters samples

You can read more about each of those around halfway down the product page for each Scarlett in the range, for example: https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-2i2

Happy to answer any other questions of course :)
Simon // Focusrite

Does it no longer come with the Scarlett plug in suite?

• 1 year later...

I have only read the first page of this thread, but I really missed dedicated hardware multitrackers in the list of recording options. Zoom, Tascam, Boss, and possibly other companies still produce these.

Maybe multitrackers are not as flexible as DAW's but they are less prone to typical computer issues, take up less space on your desk and let you focus more on recording instead of searching the interwebs for the latest plugin.
(And I guess I am not the only one who loves to be away from his computer screen in his time off.)

The thread is pretty much aimed at people completely new to the idea of home recording , and is probably pitching at interfaces and computers as they are abundant in the market. As such they are best place to start . 

If a new starter has a dedicated hardware multitracker he could read the manual I guess 😉

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, mikel said:

...Would that be ok or do I need a condenser mic?

I rather depends on what you're recording, and 'essential' is really a relative term. If you're recording your singing voice, the Shure will do the job. If you're wanting to record other instruments, such as acoustic guitar, or even your bass amp, the Shure will work, but with far less fidelity.
In general, the SM58 is an excellent stage vocal mic, as it's robust, and all sound engineers know exactly how it will perform. For studio (including home studio...) stuff, a large-diaphragm condenser mic is the standard 'go-to' mic for best recording quality in most situations. You've seen 'em, every time, in studio shots with that circular 'pop' screen, which keeps the singer at the right distance from the mic. There are some very inexpensive ones around, so it's probably worth going for. One word of caution : They need powering, usually 'phantom' power from the recording console, or audio interface for home stuff. Make sure that your interface can, in fact, supply 'phantom power' before investing. Most of 'em can, of course, but it needs confirming. If there's no phantom power, the Shure will work, and work well, but the resulting sound will not be the most hi-fi, is all.
Hope this helps. B|