Why become a member? ×

Pete Laffan BA PGCE Bass tutor in the Yorkshire area

Guest pbass

Guest pbass

First a bit of background.

I've been playing for 35 years, I started as a guitarist and switched to bass in my early twenties. I've been teaching for twenty three years.

I did a degree in music back in the eighties and later qualified as a secondary school teacher (something I didn't pursue).

I've played just about every style of music, done overseas tours, reading work in theatre bands. I'm pretty well known locally as someone who can step in at very short notice with non reading bands.

I've taught hundreds of students over the years and currently teach three teachers of bass and guitar.

I cover all the main boards for exams if that's your thing.

I've taught at Bradford college, Huddersfield college and at the Academy of Contemporary Music in Guildford where I filled in on two separate occasions for a bassist colleague, Paul Geary who is currently with Nik Kershaw.

These days, I teach from home which is in Keighley, West Yorkshire.

I have a very client centred approach to learning so lessons are devised around the student and what they need.

If you are within shouting distance of Keighley and would like to take lessons then please get in touch either via email or by phoning 01535 672304.

P.S.

If there are any bass players out there that I've taught over the years reading this, It'd be nice to know how you are doing. Leave a message to say hi.

Pete

Edited by pbass

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='pbass' post='253753' date='Aug 3 2008, 02:52 PM']First a bit of background.

I've been playing for 35 years, I started as a guitarist and switched to bass in my early twenties. I've been teaching for twenty three years.

I did a degree in music back in the eighties and later qualified as a secondary school teacher (something I didn't pursue).

I've played just about every style of music, done overseas tours, reading work in theatre bands. I'm pretty well known locally as someone who can step in at very short notice with non reading bands.

I've taught hundreds of students over the years and currently teach three teachers of bass and guitar.

I've taught at Bradford college, Huddersfield college and at the Academy of Contemporary Music in Guildford where I filled in on two separate occasions for a bassist colleague, Paul Geary who is currently with Nik Kershaw.

I have a very client centred approach to learning so lessons are devised around the student and what they need.

If you are within shouting distance of Keighley and would like to take lessons then please get in touch either via email or by phoning 01535 672304.

P.S.

If there are any bass players out there that I've taught over the years reading this, It'd be nice to know how you are doing. Leave a message to say hi.

Pete[/quote]

Hi Pete,
Long time no see, just replying to your P.S. its Reg Best here, Still playing!! in fact never not been in a band since you taught me, thats 15 years ago!!!!! how old are we now mate?????? still have a terrible ear, slightly better ( thank god for tab sites) but the rhythm has come on big time, pick things up in a crack now a days!!, been playin for a keighley band by the name of jumpstart for last 5 year, (classic 70's rock) also playin with a skipton band called the crows, (60's 70's) and just started jammin with a mate and his mate, (doors etc, in fact just learnt peace frog by the doors, have a listen great bass and drum riff!) have son of nearly 5 now, ye he will be coming to you soon, he has 2 plastic guitars but wants a real one for his birthday!! LOL
hope your busy teaching and playing, maybe bump into you soon, would be good to shake your hand after all these years!!
"BEST" regards reg

[quote name='Reggie' post='267473' date='Aug 21 2008, 11:52 PM']Hi Pete,
Long time no see, just replying to your P.S. its Reg Best here, Still playing!! in fact never not been in a band since you taught me, thats 15 years ago!!!!! how old are we now mate?????? still have a terrible ear, slightly better ( thank god for tab sites) but the rhythm has come on big time, pick things up in a crack now a days!!, been playin for a keighley band by the name of jumpstart for last 5 year, (classic 70's rock) also playin with a skipton band called the crows, (60's 70's) and just started jammin with a mate and his mate, (doors etc, in fact just learnt peace frog by the doors, have a listen great bass and drum riff!) have son of nearly 5 now, ye he will be coming to you soon, he has 2 plastic guitars but wants a real one for his birthday!! LOL
hope your busy teaching and playing, maybe bump into you soon, would be good to shake your hand after all these years!!
"BEST" regards reg[/quote]

Hi Reg

Nice to hear from you, it is a lot of water under the bridge, doesn't seem that long ago either. I'm glad you're still playing.
These days I tend to do my own stuff (A strange mix of bass and vocal loops using various bits of software and effects, I'll probably have my site back up before the end of the year so I'll keep you informed if you'd like to hear some of it). Did a stand in recently for top Pink Floyd tribute band "Off the wall", about four dates in various locations around the country but apart from that not much going on.
Let me know if you're in the area and come and have a cup and a chat.

All the best

Pete

Hi Pete

Good to see you as a BassChatter: I spoke with you around 18 months ago re my trio Idle Hands: do you still do functions in that duo?
We're quite busy with Weddings and functions: if you are ever passing one of our gigs, pop in and say hello!

www.myspace.com/idlehandstrio

Cheers

Keith

PS I remember you were the first person I saw with a 6 string bass, 15? years ago!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='269122' date='Aug 24 2008, 09:14 PM']Hi Pete

Good to see you as a BassChatter: I spoke with you around 18 months ago re my trio Idle Hands: do you still do functions in that duo?
We're quite busy with Weddings and functions: if you are ever passing one of our gigs, pop in and say hello!

www.myspace.com/idlehandstrio

Cheers

Keith

PS I remember you were the first person I saw with a 6 string bass, 15? years ago![/quote]

Hi Keith

Nice to speak to you again, yes I remember you talking about your trio, glad to see you are busy.
(I'm afraid that duo you mention isn't anywhere near as active as it used to be.)

It would have been about fifteen years ago that I was giving you lessons, I had a six string bass that I'd had handbuilt by a friend and I converted it to fretless.

One of the tracks from a solo album I did a few years ago was a solo bass piece written for the six string, I'll be posting it on my website before the end of the year, I'll let you know so you can have a listen.

All the best

Pete

[quote name='pbass' post='253753' date='Aug 3 2008, 03:52 PM']First a bit of background.

P.S.

Pete[/quote]

Hi Pete,
Nice to see you are informing the world of your abilities.
I have talked to you at gigs mainly about reading - I don't read, but feel that I should be able to after 45 years of playing experience.

I shall ring you and we can talk it over.

Cheers,

Brian (ex Midnight Train)

[quote name='rhino' post='270048' date='Aug 26 2008, 10:06 AM']Hi Pete,
Nice to see you are informing the world of your abilities.
I have talked to you at gigs mainly about reading - I don't read, but feel that I should be able to after 45 years of playing experience.

I shall ring you and we can talk it over.

Cheers,

Brian (ex Midnight Train)[/quote]

Hi Brian

Good to hear from you again. Thanks for coming to the solo gig I did a couple of months back, it was unexpected and I enjoyed having a chat to you and your friends.

Yes.. phone or email if you want to discuss further about reading. I had a student (from your neck of the woods funnily enough) quite a number of years ago who came to me because, like you he'd been playing for a long time and felt that reading was something he'd always wanted to do. He was 45 years of age at the time and was one of the best students I've taught, he knew what he wanted, went away and practiced what I showed him and in a relatively short space of time developed good sight reading abilities.

I've another solo gig coming up in January at the same place you saw me last time...I've quite a bit of new stuff to perform....if you fancy coming along.

Speak to you soon

Cheers

Pete

• 1 year later...

Hi Pete,

Hope things are well... not sure if I should be on here tehnically not being bassist?! However not sure if you remember me telling you I run a Jam session now at the Branch in Shipley the next one is on the 6th of December and hopefully it's going to be a massive monster jam.

It would be brilliant if you could make it, and even more brilliant if yourself and Mick/Mike??? (apologies) could come and play a few tunes. Now finally... do you know of any vocal tutors that can teach a more modern style rather than classical singing? My girlfriend who sings for us would like to take a few lessons... If you could point me in the rright direction I would be very grateful!!

Thanks, hope to see you on the 6th!!

Matt.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

[quote name='pbass' post='253753' date='Aug 3 2008, 02:52 PM']First a bit of background.

P.S.

Pete[/quote]

Hi pete,
my name`s Irfan I took lessons from you about 15 years ago saw you again breifly while I was working at Scheerers music in Leeds, living in Manchester now, I`m still playing and showing off my virtuosity....... well virtuosity is what I call it, everybody else have other words for it.

• 7 years later...