Why become a member? ×

Meeting one of your heroes...

neilb

Met Bruce Foxton at a tv show my old band was on, nervously introduced myself as a big fan of his work, but he was very gravious about that comment, a really nice guy. Also met Henry Cluney and Jim Reilly of Stiff Little Fingers (now of XSLF) at a gig we played with them, again really nice guys.

Went to see Fairport in Cardiff. During the break Dave Pegg was stood next to me at the bar and we had a pleasant chat. When the barmaid asked for my payment for my round he just leaned over to her and said "don't worry I'll get that"
He paid her and smiled and off he went.

It was a great gig as well.

Not exactly meeting a hero but he is now.

Very cool that you got chance to have a good chat and drink with him too.

I'm a big fan of 80s music. And when i was 17 i was visiting my dad in London, him and his wife went shopping and gave me some cash so i wandered about and found this pub with music on.
I wandered in unnoticed, and the place was full!. But for a table near the band, having managed to get served for a pint and feeling good and cocky. I then sat down at what was i now know a table clearly reserved for the band and it had there drinks on etc.
The lead singer and bass player noticed me, and started asking me who was i?, was i comfortable etc. And even mentioned did i even know who he was, in a humorous manner as he was playing.
Cue laughing from the whole pub at me, as i shrugged my shoulders etc.
After his set he come over and i was at the bar buying a drink, which he then paid for seemed like a cool guy and there was all these women trying to chat with him etc.

Cue a month or so later im at my friends who lived on the grounds of a old long closed down all girls boarding school, which we used to explore the grounds of and inside. When i one of the old dorm rooms there's this poster of the guy in the pub albeit a younger looking version.
Thats when it clicked it was Martin Kemp of spandau ballet fame. Really cool guy that i just brushed off as some pub geezer.

I went to see Guy Pratt (Pink Floyd, Roxy Music) doing a stand-up gig a few years back, and afterwards me and my missus spotted him sitting alone in the bar, so we went over to chat.

He was great - we had a few more drinks and chatted for ages. He signed my "My Bass and Other Animals" book and got another for my missus. He was really sound, and good company.

I had a shocking hangover in work the next day but for a perfectly good reason i reckon.

I also met Steve Harris once at the Rotosound stand in a music show in London, and queued for him to sign a flyer for me. Sadly I was too starstruck to say anything when it got to my turn! D'oh.

The only name I've regarded as a "hero" was Jimmy Lea of Slade in my youth. First time I met him I was dumb-struck, in later meets I learned that he preferred to talk about every day stuff & gear in which case he was very chatty. I've applied that to every "name" I've met since and it makes for a great chat whether it's a 10 minute chat or a night out.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1414602222' post='2591222']
The only name I've regarded as a "hero" was Jimmy Lea of Slade in my youth. First time I met him I was dumb-struck, in later meets I learned that he preferred to talk about every day stuff & gear in which case he was very chatty. I've applied that to every "name" I've met since and it makes for a great chat whether it's a 10 minute chat or a night out.
[/quote]

Here's how I got to meet Jimmy, lol. (yes, I (am) was that young punk!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypuRuTsbhuk

I met tony Levin back stage at a Anderson, Bruford , Howe , Wakeman gig ... He gave me some tips & showed me various ways of playing Sledge hammer , all going very well until my mate burst into the room & asked him if he would give me one of his chapman sticks . Also met JJ Burnel while working on a PA for a gig , akward moment telling my Hero that he had to turn his rig down ...His reply " I can't possibly do that I'm in direct competition with Lemi tommorow " followed by " I don't know how any of that stuff works" great guy . Jet Harris RIP was a local & friend but I never told him how much of an influence he was :( ,we spent to much time chatting .

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1414658449' post='2591805']
Here's how I got to meet Jimmy, lol. (yes, I (am) was that young punk!)
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypuRuTsbhuk"]https://www.youtube....h?v=ypuRuTsbhuk[/url]
[/quote]

So you were a winner with Ronnie The Runner!!?? Now THAT is a claim to fame! :)
[i]"Ooooo Gary Davies, Ooooo Gary Davies, Oooo Gary Davies on your radio"[/i]

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1414662907' post='2591877']
So you were a winner with Ronnie The Runner!!?? Now THAT is a claim to fame! :)
[i]"Ooooo Gary Davies, Ooooo Gary Davies, Oooo Gary Davies on your radio"[/i]
[/quote]

and what a claim lol.
You must be in my age group Stu.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1414663279' post='2591884']
and what a claim lol.
You must be in my age group Stu.
[/quote]

I'm 21 .................. with 31 years experience! When your footage was made Nod hadn't long decided that he'd never gig again, so there was a lot of background hanging around within the band to see if he'd change his mind, 5 years later he gave up playing entirely..

I've met a lot of musical celebs over the years; 99% of them have been wonderful people. At one Slade gig in 83 Jimmy gave me a go on his new JD custom EB3, which he only ever used for recording because it turned out that that tour was the last UK one they ever did.