Why become a member? ×

RIP Jack Bruce

nick

I had to come back on here to commiserate with you guys.

Jack Bruce was the reason I became a bass player. I remember when I first saw live footage of Cream I couldn't believe the force of this guy. For about 2 years at school I would listen to a live recording of I'm So Glad every single day. It blew my mind that they were all soloing and holding it down at the same time.

At around the same time I was lucky enough to meet and become friends with Pete Brown who was always on hand to give advice to a young guy starting out. I then ended up playing bass on White Room and Sunshine Of Your Love with Pete at his wedding reception, which was totally unexpected.

Jack's son Malcolm is a very nice guy and a good musician to boot. Thoughts are with him and the rest of the family.

I remember standing next to Jack Bruce once as a teenager but being too in awe to say anything. Thanks to Twitter I was recently able to let him know how he was the reason I became a bass player. It was a great feeling when he replied!

RIP

Sad news, Jack's bass lines and vocals were a huge influence on me in my teens. The way he filled under Eric's lead work in Cream to keep the sound big when EC wasn't playing chords stands as a master class in bass playing in a trio imho.

R.I.P. Jack

...hope he's now in a better place.....in a white room with no curtains perhaps

Gigged at the Refectory, Golders Green with John Mayall, -Bruce and Clapton were in Bluesbreakers for that time (Worlds best scratch band?)
Was working the Blue Moon Hayes for one of Creams first gigs - very loud - very busy night. Eddie Norman (promoter) looked happy.....
RIP Jack, the world is lessened musically by your loss............... :( .

Huge roll in rock history.

I would always get ticked off at guys that had no knowledge or reference to Fresh Cream.

I will make sure our BL says something nice before we play "Sunshine Of Your Love " at tonight's show.

Blue

Edited by blue

According to the recent book about his life he was addicted to heroin for most of the 1970s. He hung in there for a good while , making distortion cool and then "getting clean" for the Cream reunion. That transplant almost finished him a decade ago. My teenage band did "Badge", "Sunshine Of Your Love", "Crossroads",and the tricky "White Room".