Why become a member? ×

SOLD!; G&L SB-2 Tribute PJ bass; As New
£425

Grangur

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1417372017' post='2619668']
Dont know why these are so hard to sell? it took me ages to sell mine and they are pretty good basses
[/quote]
Thanks Thunderbird. This is a really well-built bass. A lot better than some Fenders I've had the misfortune to own. Loads more punch too.

If it doesn't go I'll keep it. It just doesn't meet my current needs.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1417372017' post='2619668']
Dont know why these are so hard to sell? it took me ages to sell mine and they are pretty good basses
[/quote]

I don't like the headstock design on G+Ls... maybe I'm not the only one?

I really do love the headstocks on G&Ls, I think it looks like a classic revisited. I don't like the one they used to have in the 80s, but the one with the sort of bottle opener thing I think looks really good.

I think the problem is that just you can't really get to hear them anywhere - I don't remember ever seeing one in a shop, which makes it a bit of an unknown quantity. I really want a M2500, but just on what I think it would be like, I haven't seen one outside reviews.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1420158643' post='2646332']
I really do love the headstocks on G&Ls, I think it looks like a classic revisited. I don't like the one they used to have in the 80s, but the one with the sort of bottle opener thing I think looks really good.

I think the problem is that just you can't really get to hear them anywhere - I don't remember ever seeing one in a shop, which makes it a bit of an unknown quantity. I really want a M2500, but just on what I think it would be like, I haven't seen one outside reviews.
[/quote]

I really love the look of this bass and have agonised over it but as woodinblack says you cannot try one. The neck is the unknown quantity here plus I prefer maple boards but the latter wouldn't put me off if it had a very low, rattle free action.

Tricky this.

Due to popular demand, here's a [url="http://youtu.be/UUjYEvcfLMI"]video of the bass[/url]

[media]http://youtu.be/UUjYEvcfLMI[/media]

On listening back there's a bit of distortion on the sound at the bottom end, which is a shame but due to the crap mic on the web cam.

The action is low. From the E string there's 4.5mm to the top fret (21) and 3mm to the pickups.

All the sound in the video is straight from the Little Mark II with the EQ set flat, VLE and VPF turned right off and fed to my Barefaced BigOne (1x 15" and 1x 6")

Thanks for asking guys.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1420275133' post='2647344']
A 'that's going the extra mile' type bump. If I didn't have a P/J in the stable I would be taking serious interest in this. Alas, not to be.

GLWTS.
[/quote]

Many thanks for the input. Yes, its a good bass. Lovely solid hi mass bridge too.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1420180805' post='2646384']

I really love the look of this bass and have agonised over it but as woodinblack says you cannot try one. The neck is the unknown quantity here plus I prefer maple boards but the latter wouldn't put me off if it had a very low, rattle free action.

Tricky this.
[/quote]

If anyone is interested in this and is local to me (RH19), you're welcome to try my US version to get a feel for it, they both have the same electronics and neck woods.

Many thanks Graham. Actually I travel about the south half country a lot, so if anyone wants a try then PM me and I'll try to get the bass to you for a try.

Also, I'm off to Leeds on Tuesday, so I can take it north with me if you're in the Leeds area. (I'm working and travelling by train, so I don't have much mobility while I'm up.

Cheers
Rich