Why become a member? ×

Loud guitarists . . .

TimAl

[center][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I knocked this up whilst playing around this morning - made me chortle - well, it is nearly the weekend . . .[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/font][/center]

[center][size=7][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Turn that bloody guitar down!"[/font][/size][/center]

[center][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Happy Thursday all[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tim[/font][/center]

Over the years guitarists have done for my ears, but it was my fault. I should have bought my ACS plugs a lot earlier than I did.

They're not all bad, but these days most of the guitarists I play with run the band so I just turn up and play as loud as they do. I usually don't play with "wall of sound/half stack" merchants and while I'd rather be playing with less volume, my rig does sound good when I turn up.

I'm currently experiencing both the good and bad - both bands have twin guitars, in which guitarist 'A' is excellent, space appropriate volume, good tone at different output levels etc. Meanwhile, guitarist 'B' thinks everything should be on 11! I've suggested they stand opposite their back line, not on top of it for rehearsals so they can experience what the rest of us have to put up with for themselves!!!!

Edited by DaytonaRik

The first problem with Gtrs is that they think they ARE the band... which is some cases is true, but then
they don't get past that POV in other musical situations..
They think everyone else is there to support them...which is missing the point and they think THEY have to drive the song.
If all this is true and happens, then you are in the wrong band for the wrong reasons..

It is rare indeed for a gtr to not play a part..and just let the track breathe, but when they insist on wall papering over everything, then
I'm out.

Classic gtr thinking.... and this happens more than you want.
Band playing a straight pumping bass line..and the gtr will jump on top and probably drown out the bass...
And don't get me started on riffs... FFS..!! :lol: :lol:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1414102220' post='2586017']
I've never played in a rock band so I've never had this problem. I've never seen what draws bass players to do rock bands tbh.
[/quote]

It's a lot of fun. Been at it for 45 years.

Blue

I've never played in a rock band so I've never had this problem. I've never seen what draws bass players to do rock bands tbh.
[/quote]

The basslines can often be relatively simple to play, so you can get on with having fun and entertaining people*.

[Edit] I accidentally forced a wavefront collapse, but have managed to rectify it[/edit]

*[size=2]Mostly running round the venue being a prick.[/size]

Edited by paul_5

Some wise thoughts here - I'll never forget the first time I played with a 'proper' guitarist who insisted everything was turned up to 11 - boy did it get my ears, plus I had to crank my amp up so much it made the snare & hi-hat play all by themselves . . .

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1414064810' post='2585339']
That's a lovely colour of a P you have there mate. Love the pick guard. How did you do it?
[/quote]
Thanks ubit, I maybe falling foul of the Mods here due to plugging, but I run a custom scratchplate company :secret: - there's a Basschat competition & a description thread in the Affiliates section.

This message will self destruct in 3-2-1 . . .

[/quote]

Ermmm...perhaps because I like rock music? Basically it's the same reason why I [b][i]don't[/i][/b] play in a Motown band!

Crap guitarists who play too loud and have no sensitivity for the overall band sound only exist because other musicians let them. If you said something and if they didn't take notice then kick them out of the band they's be left in their bedrooms where they can't bother anyone. If you don't do anything about these "musicians" you are as much to blame.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1414137680' post='2586203']
Crap guitarists who play too loud and have no sensitivity for the overall band sound only exist because other musicians let them. If you said something and if they didn't take notice then kick them out of the band they's be left in their bedrooms where they can't bother anyone. If you don't do anything about these "musicians" you are as much to blame.
[/quote]

Got to agree with this. In one band I was in it came to the stage that I refused to hire up my bass when the guitarist said he could not hear me. I suggested he might hear me if [i]he dropped his volume.[/i] After some debate, he reluctantly obliged. Harmony (in more ways than one ) ensued. Much too often bassists just add to the problem by upping the volume to match that of the guitarist's.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1414138617' post='2586213']
It's not always that easy. Our guitarist is also my mate. We have played together forever but he still annoys me with his insistence that the guitar is the be all and end all of the songs!
[/quote]

I would have thought that since he is your mate, that would make it easier to persuade him otherwise.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1414155247' post='2586508']
I defence of loud guitarists , valve amps don't sound good below 2 or 3 on the dial, at least so I'm told.
[/quote]

They dont sound too good at eleven either..especially in a small rehearsal room. ;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1414165060' post='2586650']
If that's the case then the guitarist's using the wrong amp.
[/quote]

Aye, if they use the power stage as an effect (i.e. they need the sound of it at 75% max output or more) then they need either a range of amps (say 2.5, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 Watts) or a power soaker upper (one of these: [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_attenuator_%28guitar%29"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_attenuator_%28guitar%29[/url])

No excuse for not being able to match stage volumes and get the group sounding as good as possible. If they need to lose tone - so be it, as long as the band sounds decent.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1414167256' post='2586686']
Aye, if they use the power stage as an effect (i.e. they need the sound of it at 75% max output or more) then they need either a range of amps (say 2.5, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 Watts) or a power soaker upper (one of these: [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_attenuator_%28guitar%29"]https://en.wikipedia...or_%28guitar%29[/url])

No excuse for not being able to match stage volumes and get the group sounding as good as possible. If they need to lose tone - so be it, as long as the band sounds decent.
[/quote]

Come on , we really don't need bass players justifying this :)