Why become a member? ×

Is an NS2 really worth the money?

ubit

I have in my possession a beautiful Spector Euro4LX which is an incredible piece of workmanship with an amazing tone. I was just wondering, when I see the price of the American made NS2, I am gobsmacked because it's a full 4 faasand quid more!!!
I don't doubt the NS2 is a lovely guitar, but is it 4 grand better than the extremely well made Euro? I struggle to think how it could be so much better than what is, to my mind, a pretty perfect bass.
I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with both or one or the other to give me their views
😉

I haven't actually had the experience of playing one, but considering they are identical necks & pickups, and the body wings, bridge & tuning hardware is almost identical, I think you'd struggle to justify £100 extra. Also I found when surfing for an answer to the same question that there is no real difference in sound or playability. I think the US models are mainly for the home market.

• Like 2

I've owned both Euro and US Spectors and always thought the US ones were significantly better than the Euros. Better finished, nicer woods and colours and had more punch to the core sound.

However I'd never pay £4K for one. Decent used Euros are about £850 and there are some very nice US ones for about £1,500 (bit more for really nice tops or rare woods). At £1,500 I'd say they are a top quality instrument but at £4K they're over-priced compared to a lot of other high end US made basses.

That's why I can't understand the price because the Euro is an amazing , well built, beautifully finished guitar and I cannot see just how much better, to justify about 5 and a half grand, the NS2 is!

I am going to get all the paperwork and SN detail and run it by Spector...
I'd have to set-up and check it over but I'd say it is 'worth' about £1500...1800 TOPS
but then if that is the market, I'd advise them to go for what the market will bear.
I am sure anything over £2k will delight them..??

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1414012545' post='2584927']
I've owned both Euro and US Spectors and always thought the US ones were significantly better than the Euros. Better finished, nicer woods and colours and had more punch to the core sound.
[/quote]

Like ubit, and as I've already posted, I too cannot understand what is better, let alone enough to justify the considerable uplift. I can understand that more exotic wood (tops?) can have a dramatic effect on price, but better coloured stains? Also with the Euro being IMO an excellent finish, is it possible to explain how the finish gets better? I hope any answer doesn't cause me to see the flaws in the Euro though! :-\

• Like 1

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1414054761' post='2585149']
Like ubit, and as I've already posted, I too cannot understand what is better, let alone enough to justify the considerable uplift. I can understand that more exotic wood (tops?) can have a dramatic effect on price, but better coloured stains? Also with the Euro being IMO an excellent finish, is it possible to explain how the finish gets better? I hope any answer doesn't cause me to see the flaws in the Euro though! :-\
[/quote]

Fit & finish on the Euros is good but not as good as the US. Mostly tiny details really.

Quality of final finish on the 2-3 Euros I've owned hasn't been as nice as the US ones. US versions seem to have more lustre to them and the tops have all been a lot nicer. My Euros generally looked a bit 'generic' with the sort of flamed maple you see quite regularly these days. The flame on the US models looks really deep and, especially on darker colours, almost has a 3D effect.

I've found Euros to sound a little antiseptic & bland compared tot he US models. I used to use an NS5 as my regular gigging bass and wanted a lower cost option as a backup and bought a Euro. It seemed to lack the bottom end oomph that my US had and the top end was harsher and not as sweet as the US.

I certainly don't see the US being worth twice the price of the Euro (which it tends to be on the used market) but, for me, it was appreciably better and I could afford the extra so I ended up with a pair of NS5's instead. I only sold them when I went back to 4's and found some other brands that I preferred in a 4 string to Spector (I still love the 5's & wouldn't hesitate to get one if I ever needed a 5 again though!).

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1414054389' post='2585138']
I am going to get all the paperwork and SN detail and run it by Spector...
I'd have to set-up and check it over but I'd say it is 'worth' about £1500...1800 TOPS
but then if that is the market, I'd advise them to go for what the market will bear.
I am sure anything over £2k will delight them..??
[/quote]

£1,500 - £1,800 feels right to me. Only ones hitting £2K from when I was buying & selling them were the limited edition old redwood models. These really were a thing of beauty and sounded amazing (yes, there really was a huge difference in tone from the different body wood, lol) but they weighed a good 11lbs or so & too heavy for me to gig with. One of my favourite ever 'home late at night' basses though :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1414055322' post='2585165']

Fit & finish on the Euros is good but not as good as the US. Mostly tiny details really.

Quality of final finish on the 2-3 Euros I've owned hasn't been as nice as the US ones. US versions seem to have more lustre to them and the tops have all been a lot nicer. My Euros generally looked a bit 'generic' with the sort of flamed maple you see quite regularly these days. The flame on the US models looks really deep and, especially on darker colours, almost has a 3D effect.

I've found Euros to sound a little antiseptic & bland compared tot he US models. I used to use an NS5 as my regular gigging bass and wanted a lower cost option as a backup and bought a Euro. It seemed to lack the bottom end oomph that my US had and the top end was harsher and not as sweet as the US.

I certainly don't see the US being worth twice the price of the Euro (which it tends to be on the used market) but, for me, it was appreciably better and I could afford the extra so I ended up with a pair of NS5's instead. I only sold them when I went back to 4's and found some other brands that I preferred in a 4 string to Spector (I still love the 5's & wouldn't hesitate to get one if I ever needed a 5 again though!).
[/quote]

Thanks. So my mistake probably mostly lies in thinking that 'maple' is always 'just' maple. Also there's a few US Spector's currently on Bass Direct and the advertised price is considerably below the list price plus none are std Euro spec. Thanks again, but now I have to decide on a colour for my US NS2 when I order it :-)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1414055322' post='2585165']

I've found Euros to sound a little antiseptic & bland compared tot he US models. I used to use an NS5 as my regular gigging bass and wanted a lower cost option as a backup and bought a Euro. It seemed to lack the bottom end oomph that my US had and the top end was harsher and not as sweet as the US
[/quote]

The American bass must indeed be a beast if you say the Euro has a lack of bottom end and a harsh top end because ime the Euro is a lovely bass with a superb range of tones. I've never even tried one but am happy enough with the Euro. Maybe I'll take the plunge someday if I can find a decent pre owned one ;)

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1414056097' post='2585183']
Thanks. So my mistake probably mostly lies in thinking that 'maple' is always 'just' maple. Also there's a few US Spector's currently on Bass Direct and the advertised price is considerably below the list price plus none are std Euro spec. Thanks again, but now I have to decide on a colour for my US NS2 when I order it :-)
[/quote]

There's a huge debate elsewhere here about whether "maple is always just maple", lol.

There may well be more involved in the differences between the US & Euro models - I'm sure at gig volumes most people won't hear a huge difference but playing at lower levels or when recording through headphones the US ones always sounded sweeter to me. Could be that I'm just an aberration though!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1414055460' post='2585170']
£1,500 - £1,800 feels right to me. Only ones hitting £2K from when I was buying & selling them were the limited edition old redwood models. These really were a thing of beauty and sounded amazing (yes, there really was a huge difference in tone from the different body wood, lol) but they weighed a good 11lbs or so & too heavy for me to gig with. One of my favourite ever 'home late at night' basses though :)
[/quote]

Looking at the website bass product line, it is a NS/NS4,about 20 years old, I'd say, not really knowing the line in detail
It has j type pickups and is a high gloss translucent blue finish.
The owner mutters something about Ltd edition but the sn will confirm, I guess.
It is still going to be hard to get a realistic value on it, but since they don't seem intent on selling it,
I will just advise a ball park thinking price for them to keep in mind..until the time comes...??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1414056556' post='2585192']
Looking at the website bass product line, it is a NS/NS4,about 20 years old, I'd say, not really knowing the line in detail
It has j type pickups and is a high gloss translucent blue finish.
The owner mutters something about Ltd edition but the sn will confirm, I guess.
It is still going to be hard to get a realistic value on it, but since they don't seem intent on selling it,
I will just advise a ball park thinking price for them to keep in mind..until the time comes...??
[/quote]

J pickups will hurt the value - Spectors are known for the power coming from the twin soapbars. I've tried some of the other pickup configurations but didn't like them as much.

I've known some Spector fans wanting to 'complete the set' by adding PJ & JJ versions though :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1414012545' post='2584927']
[/quote]
I never bothered with US Spectors NS5's when there are 20 year old NS5CR's knocking around that are identical apart from the fingerboard and control layout. They're much sweeter sounding bass without the EMG electronics too.

• 5 years later...
2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Spector threads upset me.

I really really want a Euro, but I've never found one 8lb or under. I just can't do anything heavier these days. :( 

Keep an eye out for the Spector Euro Classic when it finally hits our shores in the next few months. Available in Black, White or Red it comes with a chambered body to ease weight & an EMG BTS system but still looks just like the classic NS2/Euro basses.... 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ubit said:

I don't hear £4000 difference at all!

You won't hear £4000 of difference.

The first bass is a factory produced Kramer-era Spector NS2A from the 1980's which he has changed the preamp on (from a K-Haz to a Tonepump)...... and the second is the modern factory produced equivalent (price/build quality) from Czech Republic. Both now have the same Tonepump preamp.

Neither is the £4k - £5k US workshop produced NS2 model and neither has the famous HazLab circuit. Both of these basses retail(ed) for around £1500-£2K or it's equivalent at the time.

He is also running through a Darkglass B7K (which can colour to make any bass sound the same).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cetera said:

You won't hear £4000 of difference.

The first bass is a factory produced Kramer-era Spector NS2A from the 1980's which he has changed the preamp on (from a K-Haz to a Tonepump)...... and the second is the modern factory produced equivalent (price/build quality) from Czech Republic. Both now have the same Tonepump preamp.

Neither is the £4k - £5k US workshop produced NS2 model and neither has the famous HazLab circuit. Both of these basses retail(ed) for around £1500-£2K or it's equivalent at the time.

He is also running through a Darkglass B7K (which can colour to make any bass sound the same).

So no need to pay £4000 more then.