Why become a member? ×

Wardrobe & Stage Precence

blue

I'm finding the older I get the neater my clothes are becoming.
In my late teens/early twenties I had long hair & was a full on thrash metal fan, then the hair got dread locked & then the baggy/Hip-Hop skater look, eventually the Hip hop look with shaved head.

Nowadays I wear a shirt, a skinny tie, jeans & converse when I go out, I think having a strong style is better than the diluted jeans & plain fleece that most of my mates wear. I just think older guys who dress dapper look much cooler than ones who walk into pubs in a Motorhead shirt at 50.....just look a little odd to me.
I'm getting a head start on my older style now, as I am climbing up the ladder to 40 so better get a move on lol.

Boilersuit and rig boots if I've been busy on the smallholding before the gig. Have turned up at a gig in mortuary greens, though I did clean most of the blood off, sorta! Usually its clean demins, dark coloured polo shirt and timberlands finest boots for pub and village hall gigs. 'Normal' weddings are kilt outfit or smart casual. Biker wedding (we've done a few) anything goes! We have turned up at a supposedly biker do in a village hall to find out that its an actual normal wedding reception and here's us in leathers n ripped demin! The bride and groom thought it would be hilarious, it was, a bunch o hairy assed biker types playing acoustic love songs! :blush:

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1413880970' post='2582966']
There are a few brands doing them, Jawbreaker, Banned, Criminal Damage and they all look pretty much the same.

They are 40 to 50 quid on ebay new, but we bought ours second hand in a "worn once for fancy dress" kind of thing
for about £20. If you can hang on till the weekends gig I'll find out what brand ours are and pm you some links.

Both the singers and my jacket are the same jacket with different coloured braiding.

Les
[/quote]

I will hang on.

Thanks Les.

Blue

I think the key is to feel comfortable. When I was growing up the music press was full of articles about the Rolling Stones, Traveling Wilburries etc and whether they were too old. Roy Orbison & George Harrison aside they are all still going strong and doing it and I am now in my early 40s (roughly the age they would have all been) and it is more acceptable to still play. I refuse to accept that I'll reach a magical age and I will need to suddenly start dressing like my Grandfather. I do think we tone it down a bit but there are still plenty of options out there.

I have to add that in Blue's original post he mentions staying in shape and this really helps if you want to look good. I was certainly getting a bit out of shape in my mid 30s but I took control, dropped 4 stone and feel fitter, healthier and younger now then I did back then.

We're a bit of a mixed bunch - the female vocalist and myself tend to make the effort whilst the two guitarists roll up in jeans/shorts and t-shirts.

I almost without fail wear a pair of ripped jeans (bought as such), t-shirt, with an open shirt over the top and cowboy boots. I have been known to rock the sunnies once in a while too!

For the record the band is a rock covers band playing material from the 70's onwards and are aged between 20 something (everyone else!) and a late 40 something (me!)

I play in a hip hop band but I couldn't pull off the hip hop look even if I wanted. The emcee of our band dies have the hip hop look though. I'm very much a black jeans black Tshirt kinda guy now. I've got 'skinny' jeans though that are stretchy which I'd never wear in any other situation but they feel comfy for playing.

For regular pub gigs, we tend not to bother changing after setting up, though our singer often dresses up a bit even for those. For festivals and larger venues (big pubs!) we make a bit more of an effort.

[attachment=174388:Dave Flying Pig.jpg]

But obviously not much of an effort!

Edited by FinnDave

I think it's just as important to look like you actually want to be there & getting into it , the the audience will relax . I did a gig on Sunday starting at 6pm I spent the first set still thinking about weather I had turned the washing machine off or something domestic & it showed . on the second set we got into it & it was like a completely different Audience .

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1413884540' post='2583033']Madonna needs to.... its like watching your mom embarrasing herself
[/quote]

I guess there are a lots of artists you could post to further prove that point (Kiss?) but I actually think Madonna is doing OK on balance. Her target audience isn't the same age range as it was circa True Blue. I don't particularly care for Cher either but I guess she did the same thing.

My Dad is in his 70s and will talk at length about older guys with pony tails, tattoos etc but let's face it, it isn't hurting anyone. Every fashion trend will have fans and haters so you may as well just do what you feel comfortable with.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1413881807' post='2582977']
I just think older guys who dress dapper look much cooler than ones who walk into pubs in a Motorhead shirt at 50.....just look a little odd to me.[/quote]

Well, I've only got a year and a half to go till I'm 50 (aargh!), and I still wear Motorhead T shirts from 1983. :lol: However, I'm not overweight and I have more than my fair share of my own hair which possibly helps.

In fact, my gig clothes are generally a pair of black jeans (somewhat tighter than everyday ones) and an old cut-off tour T shirt of some description. Cut off to ventilate the old armpits a bit, y'unnerstand. And white baseball boots (that were white when they were new). I'd much rather be comfortable when playing, whilst going some way towards the appearance of what a rock musician's supposed to look like!

I was once persuaded to look like this for a wedding gig (brides request) This horror has been posted on BC before.

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/Bigbass.jpg.html"][/url]

This is my more usual look used for next gig when asked not to do the spandex.

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/5454_119420366233_706761233_2464116_2394269_n.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by gelfin

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1413884206' post='2583022']
We're a bit of a mixed bunch - the female vocalist and myself tend to make the effort whilst the two guitarists roll up in jeans/shorts and t-shirts.

I almost without fail wear a pair of ripped jeans (bought as such), t-shirt, with an open shirt over the top and cowboy boots. I have been known to rock the sunnies once in a while too!

For the record the band is a rock covers band playing material from the 70's onwards and are aged between 20 something (everyone else!) and a late 40 something (me!)
[/quote]

No offense to the other band members , but for me, your the only one on stage that looks the part and is in the game.

Blue

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1413892661' post='2583169']
Well, I've only got a year and a half to go till I'm 50 (aargh!), and I still wear Motorhead T shirts from 1983. :lol: However, I'm not overweight and I have more than my fair share of my own hair which possibly helps.

In fact, my gig clothes are generally a pair of black jeans (somewhat tighter than everyday ones) and an old cut-off tour T shirt of some description. Cut off to ventilate the old armpits a bit, y'unnerstand. And white baseball boots (that were white when they were new). I'd much rather be comfortable when playing, whilst going some way towards the appearance of what a rock musician's supposed to look like!
[/quote]

I don't think there is a pre-conceived notion of what a rock musician is suppose to look like anymore. I hang on to my interpretation of the 70s rock musician look. For a fact, people don't get it.

Blue

Edited by blue