Why become a member? ×

Wardrobe & Stage Precence

blue

For you gigging guys, how many of you have to put some thought into your look or what your going to wear for a gig. Especially you 60 plus guys like me. We can't dress or look like were 20 years old anymore , so it's a tough situation.

This might be a cultural thing too. Your over 60 and your choices and options start to diminish. What can you wear to look and feel cool and respectable without looking out of place. Keep in mind, at least over hear, the grey hair, black fedora and bowling shirt doesn't work for everyone.

I think most of you young guys, if your in shape can look good in just about anything.

Everybody has a best look, do you know what it is for you? It's tough, and I struggle with it. I'm still workin my 70s look. :D

My kids always give me the "thumbs down" on my choices.

Am I at the age where I shouldn't care? :D

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1413843650' post='2582783']
We have a bit of a band image/theme so don't need to put much thought into wardrobe it as it's pretty much the same every gig.
[/quote]

No odd man in the band that doesn't follow the image accurately?

Bluue

Sort of, we recently added goth/steampunk jackets to our cowboy hats, boots and jeans thing and the guitarist is reluctant, but we are working on him and he'll come round :rolleyes:

Basically we want to look like the band not 4 punters who've just walked on stage, if you get what I mean ?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1413841829' post='2582761']
Am I at the age where I shouldn't care? :D
[/quote]

No. You're at the age where you should [i]look[/i] like you don't care. Subtle difference. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1413849551' post='2582840']
Frankly, I would kill to be able to fit my pudgy form into gear like that and carry it off.
[/quote]

Quite. I'm at the stage where I squeeze my muscular frame into mostly dark clothing... maximum flattery for the more mature butterball. Wearing a white bass helps to direct attention away from the beer-gut, too... yes, that's why I like 'em. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1413850035' post='2582843']
I've been wearing the same sort of outfit for over 30 years - I don't want the tedium of deciding what to wear. :D
[/quote]

Ah, my mum's just the same - and she's seventy-six, you know. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1413843983' post='2582788']
Sort of, we recently added goth/steampunk jackets to our cowboy hats, boots and jeans thing and the guitarist is reluctant, but we are working on him and he'll come round :rolleyes:

Basically we want to look like the band not 4 punters who've just walked on stage, if you get what I mean ?
[/quote]

Yes, and interesting that you would say that.

I have always said, at least for me, [i]"I don't want to look like the patrons"[/i]. Even if I look ridiculous I'd rather over hear someone say;[i] "he must be in a band"[/i]

Thing is there are some guys that think nothing of showing up at a gig with the same clothes they had on at the office that day. I was in a band once wear the drummer would show up in a white button down oxford, grey dress pants and wing tips. It looked nice but for a rock gig and when the rest of the band looked like hippies?

You guys ruined me with all that fashion you spread around the world back in the 60s. But I still love that stuff.

Things change, it's not 1970, maybe I have to catch up with the times.
Maybe grow a big beard and wear cargo shorts and a polo? :D

Another thought, maybe you guys that are over 60 like me think, what's the difference. At our age were invisible to most people anyway.

blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1413844396' post='2582794']
With you being American you'll know all about "Zoot Suits"? This is how we murder that look in the good old UK. You have my sincerest apologies and see if you can spot anything really weird about the photo ( and I don't mean the costumes)!

[attachment=174372:1374316964.jpg]
[/quote]

Other than you look like you must be around 6'4", I don't see anything.

Love the wardrobe and concept.

Blue

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1413844963' post='2582799']

[/quote]

Would you be willing to share where i can get that black band shirt? I think it's very cool.

By the way, that is one of the hottest looking Fender bass I have seen in a while.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1413848561' post='2582833']
Being in a 60s band our choice of wardrobe spans an entire decade, plenty of choice there and I can still wear the same things as when I was a teen. No fashion for me thanks.
[/quote]

I'm afraid what you just described is fashion.

Blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1413849551' post='2582840']
Judging by the pics, I'm sure you cut quite a dash. [/quote]

Funny, all I can say is " I wish ". Recently even the little bit of attention I get from women at gigs has digressed.

Blue

Edited by blue

Apparently some comedians work on a basic premise on what to wear. If the audience are casual, they go smart casual, audience smart casual then wear a suit etc. pretty old school but helps when getting reluctant band members to dress well for stage. Personally I cringe when you go to a wedding and the band rocks up in clothes that haven't seen an iron since they were bought and everyone else is in their finery. On the comedian thing again though- I can't explain Noel fielding' attire!

Ah, the old stage attire conundrum.

This caused the first of many arguments in my current band.

I'm a big fan of the adage "Look like a band, feel like a band. Feel like a band, play like a band." so I suggested that we put some thought in to our "look/stagewear". I was told by our guitarist, in no uncertain terms, that he reserves the right to wear whatever he feels like on the day of the show. He then listed a huge array of clothing ideas that he might want to wear. So far he has turned up to every gig in a scruffy blue jeans and t-shirt combo.

I decided that I would create my own stage attire for this band and gig wearing the following:

Black Jeans
White or black (smart casual) shirt with sleeves rolled to 3/4 length
White (Cuban heeled) snakeskin cowboy boots
White snakeskin belt
Yes I do look a little out of place when walking through the streets of whatever town or city we're playing, but I'm a naturally confident person who has never really cared what people think about how I'm dressed, and you know what? I rock this look!

The singer has started to make more of an effort to dress in a more dressed for the occasion style. He's also started having a pop at the guitarist saying things along the lines of "nice of you to make an effort"

One day I'd like the band to revisit the idea of themed/coordinated stage attire, but for now I'm going to carry on looking like the eccentric bass player that I am. :D

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1413844396' post='2582794']
With you being American you'll know all about "Zoot Suits"? This is how we murder that look in the good old UK. You have my sincerest apologies and see if you can spot anything really weird about the photo ( and I don't mean the costumes)!

[attachment=174372:1374316964.jpg]
[/quote]

its da wheels, boss!

Both of the guitarists in my band wear black everything and they dont stand out very much at all.

Our singer wears some sort of pretty dress and its usually me thats stuck wondering what to wear...

Do i join the guitarists and wear all black? My only fear is that we'll look more like session players rather than a band!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1413879523' post='2582951']
Both of the guitarists in my band wear black everything and they dont stand out very much at all.

Our singer wears some sort of pretty dress and its usually me thats stuck wondering what to wear...

Do i join the guitarists and wear all black? My only fear is that we'll look more like session players rather than a band!
[/quote]

Have you considered wearing a dress too? Would be a distinctive look...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1413857244' post='2582862']
Would you be willing to share where i can get that black band shirt? I think it's very cool.

By the way, that is one of the hottest looking Fender bass I have seen in a while.

Blue
[/quote]

There are a few brands doing them, Jawbreaker, Banned, Criminal Damage and they all look pretty much the same.

They are 40 to 50 quid on ebay new, but we bought ours second hand in a "worn once for fancy dress" kind of thing
for about £20. If you can hang on till the weekends gig I'll find out what brand ours are and pm you some links.

Both the singers and my jacket are the same jacket with different coloured braiding.

Les