Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB series - talk me through them please!

Paul S

If the p/ups on the BB5000 are as powerfull as on the BB3000, then it'll eclipse the BB425. A couple of months back, whilst setting up the bass sound for a recording session at a local studio, the techie was surprised to learn my BB3000 wasn't active. He was well impressed.

No disrespect to the BB425 mind, it's a cracking bass. It's just that the saying 'the BB3000 is like a Fender P on steroids' is not far off the mark. ;)

• 4 years later...

I had a 1980s BB2000 for a while; traded it in against another bass and now really wish I'd kept it. 

Unusual in being a through neck and having a reverse P bridge pickup.  For a passive bass it was awesomely clean and punchy.   If I ever see one for sale, I probably buy it ... was there ever a 5-string version of that bass?  If so I'm going hunting.

I have had a bb614 ,bb424x and a bb1000s I liked them all,the 614 had a different neck profile to the 424 

I preferred the 614 neck was really comfortable to play,just felt right to me.

I still own the bb1000s as I always wanted a neck thru bb and it does sound great and sits nicely in my  little collection of 80s Japanese basses mine is a 1985. 

Googled bb5000 and the first result was "why are bb5000s so hard to find". I guess it's because 5 string basses weren't comon in the 80s.

Anyway, the bb5000 appears to have a normal not a reverse p neck pickup (reverse being the "correct" way imho), so not quite a 5 string bb2000.

I found a bb2004 which is an active bb2000 and a bb2005 which is a 5-string version .. but that one has two J pickups.  The search continues.

I’m normally a fender jazz or Sandberg fan ,   but I’ve had my BB 415 about 3 weeks now and really can’t fault it in any way,  I like the pickup switch , it makes it really easy to change between tones quickly, and the lows on this are great . Also the nut width is about 43 mm , which I didn’t think was bad for a 5 string,   Imo they are well worth the money 🙂

25058091-0E0C-4E92-B53D-659C7704B35C.jpeg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I've just noticed how the B string on the bridge is set back...never seen that before..

I believe it’s to add tension to the String,  and something to do with  the pitch , but I’m not entirely sure,    Maybe someone could answer this 🙂

17 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I believe it’s to add tension to the String,  and something to do with  the pitch , but I’m not entirely sure,    Maybe someone could answer this 🙂

It's to make sure you have enough room behind the saddle when you intonate it, since the B saddle ends up positioned the furthest back. Bit of a crap design if you ask me, they should just reposition or enlarge the bridge so that it doesn't look wonky!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1