Why become a member? ×

Brazilian girl sent home trying to see Level 42 in UK

blunderthumbs

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1413673745' post='2580885']
No idea what the full story is here but the assumption that UK customs are nice chaps who always apply the rules correctly is quite amusing.
[/quote]
It would be amusing but i can't say that i've noticed that is the general assumption in this thread.

I think that this is a difficult situation all round. There is no way that the immigration people can 100% reliably tell the difference between someone who has come here for a holiday, and someone who arrives on a tourist visa intending to disappear into the black economy. As mentioned before, various reality TV shows show that people arriving can be questioned, and that immigration officials will check that they have the money to support their holiday, look through personal materials etc. Not having money to support hotel stays, nor the ticket with her may have been what caused immigration officials to reject her.

The problem we have with this is that we need to look at how the situation could be improved. If the immigration officials started giving arrivals more benefit of the doubt, then more people who do actually intend to work illegally will slip through. Would everyone be happy with this consequence? Because if not, then we have to accept that sometimes immigration officials will get it wrong and refuse genuine tourists entry to the country.

This is not me assuming that UK customs (immigration, surely) are nice chaps who always apply the rules correctly. It's me assuming that UK immigration people are fallible, and that the rules are also less than perfect. But, they have to do something. We have a populace a significant proportion of which is frothing at the mouth about immigration, voting for reactionary anti-immigration parties. In an environment like that, is it any wonder that some genuine tourists are refused?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413619482' post='2580134']
I took out a couple of antagonistic posts here. Just be warned, keep it civil.
[/quote]
I just checked in to see if there are anymore facts come to light as I saw it was up to 4 pages, alas there is not but that doesn't stop people defending her or others defending the immigration officers does it, :lol:

As we know nothing more it remains 50/50 either a shame for her or a job well done by the authorities.

Some impressive trust in authority on display in this thread.

Customs and Border Control can do pretty much whatever they want for whatever reason they want and just because your papers are in order doesn't mean they're going to let you in.

No idea what the full story is here but the assumption that UK customs are nice chaps who always apply the rules correctly is quite amusing.
[/quote]

what he said!

Customs and Border Control can do pretty much whatever they want for whatever reason they want and just because your papers are in order doesn't mean they're going to let you in.
[/quote]

So is this the conclusion about all this? That border control people can simply say 'no', for whatever reason they choose? No right to talk to a manager? No official reason need be given? No scope for appealing the decision?

If every country operates like that then it's certainly something to consider before stumping up large amounts of money for a holiday abroad . . . . Well, outside the EU anyway! I wonder if travel insurance covers this sort of thing?

Ok, old story but...I had a mate, an English-born British Pole, who went 'back home' to 'collect' his new Polish wife. She was allowed in, but he was detained for about two days, courtesy of some lemon at Heathrow, as a suspected illegal....you just couldn't make these people up........the 'Level 42' tale causes no surprise around here.........
<_<

Edited by taunton-hobbit

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1413734817' post='2581348']If every country operates like that then it's certainly something to consider before stumping up large amounts of money for a holiday abroad . . . . Well, outside the EU anyway! I wonder if travel insurance covers this sort of thing?
[/quote]

1st time I flew into JFK I was stopped by a huge security cop; [i](nice f-off .357 on clear view there mate) [/i]I was wearing a small enamel St George's flag badge.
"What's the button?"
[i]"Oh the badge? It's an England flag?"[/i]
"Oh England? Are you one of those [i]soccer hooligans[/i] we hear tell about?"
[i]"Soccer? - oh you mean "Football"? No - I never watch it."[/i]
"What did you win the "football" badge for, do you like to shoot people?"
[i]"No"[/i] (secretly wishing I could, but knowing now wouldn't be a good time to add [i]"that's your job"[/i]).

"OK, you can go" - and not "Welcome to America" - I was gutted, "special relationship no more".

I had friends waiting for us & they said if I'd reacted I'd have been on the next 'plane back - and probably pushed my luck with what I did say.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1413734817' post='2581348']

So is this the conclusion about all this? That border control people can simply say 'no', for whatever reason they choose? No right to talk to a manager? No official reason need be given? No scope for appealing the decision?
[/quote]
No, No, No & No.

There you go, that's that answered. :)

I blame that fella whose name rhymes with a UK music genre of the 90s - has the acronym to U Know I'm Pissed - spookily had to be filmed with an ice cream rather than a pint recently not far from here as he would have breached the no drinking alcohol in the street by law - anyway it's a shame she got sent back and missed the wondrous Level 42 - I've seen them 3 times and can vouch for their brilliance by totally unscientifically based opinion 😀

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1413736838' post='2581378']
"OK, you can go" - and not "Welcome to America" - I was gutted, "special relationship no more".
[/quote]

Tell me about it. The current mrs discreet and young master discreet enter the USA on their USA passports and return on British passports. Muggins here has to go through USA immigration, and if you even have the wrong look on your face you're at the back of the queue at the very least. A smart-arse remark will see you on a plane to the UK [i]tout-suite[/i]. Once they confiscated my passport and left me in a room for two hours apropos of nothing - then I was allowed to go on my merry way. No explanation, no apology, nothing. God Bless America.

Edited by discreet

An American colleague was flying out of Baltimore and failed the 'chemical swab' test that checks for explosive residue. He was duly taken away for further tests and questioning. It turned out he had been at a shooting range on the previous day! They eventually let him go without charge, but not before he had missed his flight.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1413806304' post='2582058']
Exactly, I think we should send someone to stand outside the airport in the rain until there is some more info? "this just in....nothing actually".
[/quote]

And roll out some 'experts' to give their opinion....

/looks at thread/

oh...

;)

Edited by ahpook

I didn't read all of your posts, but my piece of the cake is, that I was in a similar (but no so very drastic) case involved. Born and resident in Germany but I look as a "southern" type and I suffered from british customs as well once. Out of a line of dozens of people I was full body searched and questioned for an short amount of time, just because they could not believe we got our Ryanair tickets for a mere 1€ each (two-way) and didn't sign up for hotel. It was meant to be a 36hour no-sleep cheap trip to London was becoming quite a struggle. We just wanted to "party all night" look around the city and so on.... That is a really horrific experience. I am saddened she had to go through that.

I am a citizen of the EU, so usually no questions asked on customs, and had big problems coming into the UK. And I didn't travek alone, we have been a group of six people.... Sometimes sh*t like this happens and despite people on here telling her it is her own fault... It's probably not. In my scenario it was a case of stereotype racism (as hard as it sounds) and it happens a lot. Standing at a railway station on my way to university: Full body search. Going to the Netherlands by train (I live pretty near to the border): Full body search. And the people who do this to me usually look a bit disappointed when they see I am a normal, and if I might add pretty cool guy. :-D That is life, that is bureaucracy, that is fear of stereotypes....

I once flew non stop from Gatwick to Nashville with two friends. Just three middle aged blokes going on holiday. One of my friends was taken to a room and talked to for over an hour about why he was there, what he was going to do. He had no criminal record, was a respectable person in full time employment with plenty of money to support himself on the two week trip. After all of that they told him that he would have to swear allegiance to the flag of the U.S.A. and repeat what they said. He pointed out that he could only do that to the flag of his country (United Kingdom) and pointed out how ridiculous it all was. They then turned a bit nasty and told him in no uncertain terms that unless he did what they requested he would be sent back to the UK on the next plane. He did as they said but had his fingers crossed behind his back as he did it!
It seems to me that whatever colour, race, religion etc we can all have problems with immigration in a any country from time to time.