Why become a member? ×

Brazilian girl sent home trying to see Level 42 in UK

blunderthumbs

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1413482422' post='2578769']

LOL!..

Something seems a little off though. And what young lass says there fav band is L42???. If i was a customs officer, i would of been like no way!. I think if she had been coming over to see a modern band with a younger audience she would of got in.
[/quote]
My daughter is twelve and she is into L42 ???

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1413483235' post='2578791']
On the flipside, I'm 23(massive L42 fan incidentally, rather jealous of my younger brother getting to see them in York) and going to Brasil on my own in January to meet up with my girlfriend and hopefully play a gig or two,[b] I very much doubt I'll get similar treatment at customs there[/b].
[/quote]

That might depnd on how the Brazilians react to this story.

In the wake of 9/11, the US started to introduce more stringent checks, including fingerprinting and photographing all visitors, which caused long delays at immigration - always a joy to spend 90 minutes standing in a queue after a long flight!

Anyway, soon after all this was introduced, US-based colleague travelled to Brazil on business and said that in the arrivals hall there was just ONE immigration desk fingerprinting and photographing visitors with a big sign saying 'US Nationals Only'. All other nationalities were being allowed through the multiple other desks in the normal way. :lol:

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1413484237' post='2578812']
I feel for the poor girl.
If you look at her twitter account she's been tweeting about Level 42 for years.
Hopefully something can be sorted.
[/quote]
At last a bit of sympathy !!! Phil Gould must know a bit of the background of this why else would he get behind it?
He's not even a member of the band anymore but feels strongly about it.
Read his posts on Facebook.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1413484825' post='2578828']
Im not clear , did she have the correct papers or not ?
[/quote]

No one seems to know... and the FB page of the ex L42 guy
doesn't appear to say.
Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone..??

So, apart from the sentimetal element, which does seems a shame, we only know that Immigration
didn't let her in.

A bit of a non story on those details..IMO.
As someone said above..something is not quite right here.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413486512' post='2578860']

No one seems to know... and the FB page of the ex L42 guy
doesn't appear to say.
Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone..??

So, apart from the sentimetal element, which does seems a shame, we only know that Immigration
didn't let her in.

A bit of a non story on those details..IMO.
As someone said above..something is not quite right here.
[/quote]

It does seem very odd. Surely she would have gig tickets of some sort, or order confirmation, that would verify her story? That would surely make it difficult for customs/immigration to have her detained, surely?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413469630' post='2578559']
If she didn't have the right papers, then surely that is the job that immigration officers are supposed to do, isn't it?
[/quote] Agreed is nice to see immigration coming down on people if they are not legal to be here sorry she missed seeing the band is sad but not the end of the world

For the record i didn't say anyone couldn't be an L42 fan at any age. I was born in 83 and most music i listen to is before that time.

I'm just saying if a young person especially a young women on her own tried to tell me her reason was because L42 was her fav band, as an immigration officer i would be very suspicious. Which would prompt me to really have a look into things carefully.
Especially considering i would of thought there's a lot of pressure by us public to stop illegal immigration.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413469630' post='2578559']
If she didn't have the right papers, then surely that is the job that immigration officers are supposed to do, isn't it?
[/quote]

I doubt she'd have even been allowed to get on the plane without the correct papers.

:)

I know of a couple of cases in the past where South American girls in their early 20s have arrived in the UK on a student/tourist visa and been turned-back by Immigration, despite having correct paperwork.

Rightly or wrongly, the authorities did this because they suspected the girls would seek paid work while in the country, something their visas naturally wouldn't cover. Apparently, South American girls working illegally as Au-Pairs was a problem at the time.

Obviously, I don't know any details of this girl's plight to see Level 42 so this could be completely meaningless, but it might give a possible example as to how someone in that position might have all the right paperwork and yet still be denied entry.

Regardless, I hope she gets the opportunity to fulfill her dream.

The Brazilians were most annoyed that the Poles were cheaper London hotel workers, even tho the Poles had E.U working status
and the Brazilians were on student visas.
I think it is/was a known problem and if the girl had the correct paperwork but wasn't able to convict the Officers
that her reasons were legitimate, then I guess that is what they are paid to do.
They are well up on all sorts of scams and tricks to get into the country and the scandal is that access seems
to be the key as once here they aren't easily caught.
If the girl was genuine then it seems harsh but there was obviously something about the whole thing they didn't like...?
People come here on holiday visas all the time of course, so we don't know all the detail..??

Thats a horrible story. I really hope she is ok.

It sounds like an amazing thing that she has done to see her favorite band &it all went wrong for her. No matter what some of you have said (Some of you are real miserable gits) she made a simple mistake & some of you have showed no understanding or compassion towards a true fan of music.
I wonder how many of you have even bothered to click on the recording section of this site to help & comment on other musicians work let alone travel thousands of miles to go an support a band who you love.

My thoughts are with her, she deserves better than be judged for just being young & human. none of us are perfect & some of you have shown that with your over inflated self righteous comments.

Edited by fumps

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1413531676' post='2579126']
Thats a horrible story. I really hope she is ok.

It sounds like an amazing thing that she has done to see her favorite band &it all went wrong for her. No matter what some of you have said (Some of you are real miserable gits) she made a simple mistake & some of you have showed no understanding or compassion towards a true fan of music.
I wonder how many of you have even bothered to click on the recording section of this site to help & comment on other musicians work let alone travel thousands of miles to go an support a band who you love.

My thoughts are with her, she deserves better than be judged for just being young & human. none of us are perfect & some of you have shown that with your over inflated self righteous comments.
[/quote]

Laughable... you know as much as we know, which is next to nothing apart from what is writen here.
There are two scenarios... genuine but unable to convince the authorities as such..so therefore the outcome seems harsh.
A scam... and therefore the officers were correct.
THEIR call..not ours, was that the person was not genuine on the facts that THEY have or the story that they have been given...
all on an undercurrent of people trying to get past the system every day of their working lives, possibly.
Everyone has a sob story and people go to great lenghts and even risk their lives to get into certain countries.

I don't know which version was right so I am not judging the people that were better placed than we are..
so it is not me who has jumped to conclusions about the rights and wrongs of this case...

According to what I've read on facebook she was staying with another fan (a person who's name pops up a lot on FB bass and L42 related sites) and the tickets remained with him as they were worried that they would get lost if posted to her. She only had photocopies. There is an account written by her as to what happened (which I won't copy as its a private post) seems she was quite hard done by as there was a lot of support out there for her!

Edited by barneyg42