Why become a member? ×

Allowing someone to use your bass at a gig.

jazzyvee

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1413212385' post='2575866']
Main band come one and you guessed it, the bass players Trace elliot does what trace elliots do best.
Converts its self in to a smoke machine.
[/quote]

Odd, my experience of TE gear over the last 20 years or so has been the exact opposite. Very durable indeed. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Like most of us I tend to judge the person, when I have lent my gear out it has been to players I know and respect and they have done the same for me, so no problem there. I do believe in carrying a backup bass as it makes live easier and some times I just fancy a change, so a spare is usually there,if I can help out I will and over the years I have helped out a lot of players, however sometimes I have said no. This leads me to one of my pet hates of when you do say no, that the recipient of the negative then tries to make out that it is your fault that he/his band can't do whatever etc.... NO mate problem is with you!

At my age and stage of playing in my life I come to my gigs prepared. That means I always have a plan B, I always have a back up bass, amp and all sorts of cords, batteries ect... I come in prepared to provide a service like any other professional. If your really serious about your craft, your business and music you will too.

I've never had to use any of my back up gear ever,however I'm prepared if something fails. And I've never asked to use anyone's gear.

Occasionally we will split a show with band and that's when the issue of amp sharing comes up. It took me many decades to be able to afford what I consider mid-range level bass guitars and amps. I take extreme care of all my gear. My answer is always a polite diplomatic decline.

Now young kids ( teenagers), struggling to get into this rock business with less than marginal quirky 3rd tier gear, at that level and stage of your rock life, I say you should all be out there helping each other out.

Cool?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1413244036' post='2576383']
That's OK, I'm not really serious about any of it, but I just seem to muddle through anyway.
[/quote]

No problem, there's plenty of guys out there playing bass and it's more of a fun side thing, not really serious.

Blue

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1413212385' post='2575866']
Now, once we were on a very rare support slot at a venue we had to get our faces in.
A huge mistake by the dimwhit in charge told us ALL backline is provided do not bring amps or drum kit.
When we got there, the opposite was in effect, no backline, just PA.
The rest of the main band who had had the correct E-mail sent jumped up and said no trouble use our amps and kit with drummer using his own breakables.
The ***** on the bass says no, so I have to drive ten miles back home and back to the gig and just get back in time.
My better judgement said just go home, but the rest of the band having had the use of gear disagreed, like they do.

Anyway, get back wire up and we play.
Main band come one and you guessed it, the bass players Trace elliot does what trace elliots do best.
Converts its self in to a smoke machine.
Over I walk, here mate, use my rig.
Really he says, why would you do that.
Because I said, Thats who I am and I refuse to let anyone change me, why should I, I like been me !.
He was rather Humbled to say the least. :unsure:
[/quote]

Good story, but I think I would have been less keen... ha ha ..
Still, if it taught him a lesson, then maybe it REALLY taught him a lesson

Again, for me it would be dependant on the guys attitude and how he was on stage (i.e if he was jumping about I'd be more inclined to say no).

I can understand why some people are unable to bring their own rig/a backup bass to gigs. I don't drive so bringing a second bass with me via public transport isn't always ideal (or at times possible). A lot of people seem to reply to this with "learn to drive then" but it's not cheap and unfortunately because of my age, insurance would be a fortune. My mate was quoted 6K insurance for a 3K car.

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1413277593' post='2576522']
Fortunately no one asks me this question as I'm a lefty.

But when they do, I go.... Sure! knock yourself out.

Then they realise its the wrong way round. :blink:
[/quote]
Your not 100% safe though, what if Andy McCluskey from orchestral manoeuvres in the dark was next on and his Jack socket failed? He plays left handed basses right handed and upside down!

I think this thread could best be summed up as:

1. Depends on the person

2. Depends on your bass

All of my basses were sub-£200 from new so I wouldn't have much of an issue with someone else using mine [i]provided[/i] they're not a complete tool. I went to a gig a few months back with local bands on - most of the acts were sensible but one bands' young bassist in particular had an interesting playing technique :blink: much akin to 'spanking' is the best as I can describe it! Terrible terrible sound coming out of the P-bass he was using as more than likely the eejit was spanking so hard he was hitting the pole pieces <_< I wouldn't have given him my bass even if he bought it off me.

As always YMMV

Ian

I used to get annoyed at London venues - you know it - we've all had it at
say the Dublin Castle or a similar venue, 4 or 5 bands on......

We're coming down from N Wales and bring all our stuff.
No contact from any other bands etc prior to the show -

Arrive, 1 of the bands comes over:

"Hi maaan, look, what it is, our bass player has to get like 4 tubes, a night bus, 2 taxis and a horse drawn ship back to East Shad"

"is it coooool to just use all of your gear?"

They're the supposed 'headlining band' and we have to drive 5 hours home once we've finished......

sorry gents, not happening.

There are literally 3 people in the world I allow to use my stuff.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1413288026' post='2576698']
Some of the other bands bassists at gigs we play I wouldn't trust to sit on the toilet the right way round... let alone let them anywhere near my gear...
[/quote]

You wouldn't happen to have their BC pseudos, just so we'd know..? :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1413288178' post='2576703']
You wouldn't happen to have their BC pseudos, just so we'd know..? :mellow:
[/quote]

Not BCers obviously whom are without exception an upstanding bunch....

Outside of BC I could name a few bands bassists around london that i'd advise against letting within six feet of your gear.... or your toilet....

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1413288426' post='2576708']
Not BCers obviously whom are without exception an upstanding bunch....

Outside of BC I could name a few bands bassists around london that i'd advise against letting within six feet of your gear.... or your toilet....
[/quote] :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1413288858' post='2576719']
So some folks are taking 2 Basses and a toilet to the gig?
:lol:
[/quote]

It's a bit like using the house rig, if you don't like whats provided then take your own.

I used to have a wonderful gig toilet made by a well known british manufacturer... it was lightweight with a nice sliver cloth cover but I got rid of it when the handles fell off....

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1413289158' post='2576727']
It's a bit like using the house rig, if you don't like whats provided then take your own.

I used to have a wonderful gig toilet made by a well known british manufacturer... it was lightweight with a nice sliver cloth cover but I got rid of it when the handles fell off....
[/quote]

I refuse to believe such nonsense, everyone knows that barearsed toilets are totally without flaws.

This is going back some years but the band I was in at the time got a support with The Beyond, who were getting a lot of attention with their debut album.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the inevitable happened and my bass died, active circuit went bust as I remember and I didn't have a spare that night. The Beyond's bass player wasn't interested in lending me a bass, can't say as I blame him he had some v nice Modulus guitars if I remember correctly and Ampeg mega rig.

So, we ended our set after two and half songs and to top it all a journo from Metal Hammer was there that night, said he was impressed with what he had heard but needed more than three songs to write a review. The rest of the band were well pissed off with me, can't say as I blame them either and I felt like a complete dick for not bringing backup.

I learnt a lesson that night and have never gigged without a spare bass since.

If a gig is important enough, you bring a spare. NO EXCUSES!