Why become a member? ×

Allowing someone to use your bass at a gig.

jazzyvee

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1413184471' post='2575485']
as long as they've proved not to be a pratt, no problem.[b][i] It's only a bass.[/i][/b] I always love it when people play my old '75 P bass, especially if they don't really play/like P basses. They always say how amazing it is.
[/quote]

This for me, especially the bit I've highlighted.

Personally I would have no problem lending it, particularly in the circumstances of the other persons kit failing. I agree it would be annoying if someone just turned up assuming that they could borrow a bass, and I guess I'd have reservations if it was someone who was pissed, or just didn't seem to know what they were doing with it.
[size=4]Personally I'd rather risk my bass than gain a reputation as a stuck up c**t who wouldn't help a fellow human being in a (minor) crisis.[/size]

I have a melodeon and an anglo concertina that cost way more than any of my basses. I would (and have) lent those to someone (Melodeons are pretty robust anyway).
The problem hasn't really arisen with the anglo as they tend to be very individual (in terms of button spacing, spring pressures, even the layout of the notes, etc), and so don't really get [size=4]borrowed. (I only mention this to indicate that, for me it's not to do with the value)[/size]

[size=4]Rig as well really: If your rig is properly spec'ed and put together then it should be bomb proof.[/size]

And as for a backup bass. How many people here actually take a backup bass to a gig?[size=3](A serious question - not rhetorical). [/size][size=4]I never have, and have never had a catastrophic failure. Perhaps I need to reconsider this.[/size]

Edited by Count Bassy

I look after my gear but I'm not particularly precious about it. I'd have probably lent the guy either of my basses if he seemed decent enough. Unless the guy started to physically smash it against things, what's the worst that could happen? Same with my amp and cabs as well - which I have shared quite a few times.

As for the 'should have carried a spare' sentiment, where does that stop? Spare bass, spare amp, spare cab? Let's face it, if gear is looked after and checked before a gig, how likely is it to actually fail? And on those rare occasions, if we were prepared to help out a fellow player in distress then we could all save a shed load of money, time and effort carting around spare gear that is never needed 99.9% of the time.

So yeah, I'd have lent out my bass - and I'd probably have had a look at his bass to see if I could fix it while he finished his set!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1413197418' post='2575635']

As for the 'should have carried a spare' sentiment, where does that stop? Spare bass, spare amp, spare cab? Let's face it, if gear is looked after and checked before a gig, how likely is it to actually fail?
[/quote]

I always take a spare bass, after a recent problem with an amp also have been taking a spare amp. No room in my car for a spare cab, so if that fails, I have a DI box in my gig bag and can plug into the PA. I also have spare leads, including spare speaker leads, spare mains connectors, tools etc in my bag. At most of our gigs we are the only band playing, so we need to be self sufficient.

I always carry a spare bass.
It has proved absolutely vital with string breaks. Can be up and running in seconds for the next song, after finishing the current song with 3 strings.
In 40 years of countless gigs, I've had to do this [size=1]twice[size=4] :blush:[size=1][size=4] :D[size=1][size=4][size=1][size=4] [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1413197295' post='2575631']
This for me, especially the bit I've highlighted.

And as for a backup bass. How many people here actually take a backup bass to a gig?[size=3](A serious question - not rhetorical). [/size][size=4]I never have, and have never had a catastrophic failure. Perhaps I need to reconsider this.[/size]
[/quote]

I was gigging about 10 years ago. I only ever took my '75 P bass. Half way into the first set, one coil went open circuit. I don't know if anybody knows this but a normal P bass only has one main pickup (joke BTW), if a coil goes open circuit you're stuffed.

There was the faintest of sound, so I turned the amp flat out and DId into the PA for a little extra. It sounded very hissy and weak but I managed to finish the gig.

Ever since I ALWAYS take a spare bass with me, (except when I gig abroad and have to fly)

i generally carry a spare bass so would probaly lend them that, i usually gig the letts 5 string which i am not that protective of, it would all depend on who was asking, if i know them then i'll lend my gear, if not then it would be a gut feeling that would decide it.

i actually have my 77 p-bass out on loan to a friend at the moment, he asked very politely and i'm 100% confident that he will treat it as if it were his own (it actually was his until he gave into my constant pestering to sell it to me!)

Matt

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1413198410' post='2575669']...(except when I gig abroad and have to fly)
[/quote]

What would be the reply if it was a [i]name [/i]in trouble, eh..? We had Maçias Parker at our festival some years ago; the bassist ('Skeet' Curtis...) had problems with his Lakland, and no back-up (gigging abroad, flying...). We lent him our Cort 5-er, he fitted a set of his strings on it and played the headline spot; it sounded great. Would that have changed things for any of you..? Hmm...

I always took a spare bass to every gig for years partly for multiple tunings, five strings removed that issue but I still took a spare but now I have the DB on most gigs it's too much to carry an extra electric bass really,I have strings for DB and normal bass, batteries, tools etc in my bag though.

The funny thing now is with class D heads taking a spare amp has become easier than taking a spare bass!

In regards to spares I'm pretty buggered.
I live in a tiny house so even if I could afford a spare amp & bass I simply would not have anywhere to store them.

I think it's a great idea to have spares of everything, it's not always practicle to have them for everyone.

I do have spares of cables etc but not of a bass & amp

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1413200249' post='2575701']
What would be the reply if it was a [i]name [/i]in trouble, eh..? We had Maçias Parker at our festival some years ago; the bassist ('Skeet' Curtis...) had problems with his Lakland, and no back-up (gigging abroad, flying...). We lent him our Cort 5-er, he fitted a set of his strings on it and played the headline spot; it sounded great. Would that have changed things for any of you..? Hmm...
[/quote]Did he let you keep the strings? I would imagine most people would lend to a big name, get him to sign it and pose for a photo , preferably playing it, then stick it in Ebay

Edited by timmo

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1413200752' post='2575705']
I always took a spare bass to every gig for years partly for multiple tunings, five strings removed that issue but I still took a spare but now I have the DB on most gigs it's too much to carry an extra electric bass really,I have strings for DB and normal bass, batteries, tools etc in my bag though.

The funny thing now is with class D heads taking a spare amp has become easier than taking a spare bass!
[/quote]
I tend to have a fairly comprehensive set of spares in the gig-bag and carry bag - spare cables for everything, batteries etc, but I've only ever taken a spare bass on a gig once, and that was for the same reason as you, with diffierent tunings (think it was standard on one and Drop C or BEAD on the other)

Don't think I've needed to take a spare head as I've always, always DI'd into the PA as well.

Ian

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1413202287' post='2575738']
Did he let you keep the strings? I would imagine most people would lend to a big name, get him to sign it and pose for a photo , preferably playing it, then stick it in Ebay
[/quote]
:lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4] Didn't even charge us for 'em..! A real gent, by the way, as well as a s***-hot bassist. He signed the back of the Cort, but it's worn off since. Happy daze. :)[/size]

I suppose it's a bit different if someone brought their bass and it failed for whatever reason... I might lend mine in that case. But if some spotty herbert cheerfully turned up with nothing expecting to borrow a bass through an over-developed sense of entitlement, then he'd get my boot up his arse. :)

If someone who [i]wasn't[/i] a stuck-up, talentless amateur possibly under the age of 20 with an annoying haircut and who obviously enjoyed watching the X-factor but who [i]had[/i] brought three spare basses of the highest boutique quality (all of which had mysteriously failed), voted for the same political party, had the same musical tastes to the extent of venerating Messrs Wooten, Pastorius and Manring and who - when soliciting the loan - crawled on their hands and knees in humble abasement before our generosity and world-class chops then I'm sure most of us would give the request due consideration before saying 'No - unless I can f**k your girlfriend, hur hur hur.'
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1413209627' post='2575834']
If someone who [i]wasn't[/i] a stuck-up, talentless amateur possibly under the age of 20 with an annoying haircut and who obviously enjoyed watching the X-factor but who had brought three spare basses of the highest boutique quality (all of which had mysteriously failed), voted for the same political party, had the same musical tastes to the extent of venerating Messrs Wooten, Pastorius and Manring and who - when soliciting the loan - crawled on their hands and knees in humble abasement before our generosity and world-class chops then I'm sure most of us would give the request due consideration before saying 'No - unless I can f**k your girlfriend, hur hur hur.'
[/quote]

Well that's what I was trying to say, obviously. :D

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1413209627' post='2575834']
If someone who [i]wasn't[/i] a stuck-up, talentless amateur possibly under the age of 20 with an annoying haircut...
[color=#ffffff].[/color][/quote]

If you're under 25 and in an originals band, having a silly haircut is a time-honoured practice and a sign of dedication! To sport a sensible haircut is to let the side down. The haircuts have changed through the decades, but they've always been silly. There'll be plenty of time for sensible haircuts later on...

Now, once we were on a very rare support slot at a venue we had to get our faces in.
A huge mistake by the dimwhit in charge told us ALL backline is provided do not bring amps or drum kit.
When we got there, the opposite was in effect, no backline, just PA.
The rest of the main band who had had the correct E-mail sent jumped up and said no trouble use our amps and kit with drummer using his own breakables.
The ***** on the bass says no, so I have to drive ten miles back home and back to the gig and just get back in time.
My better judgement said just go home, but the rest of the band having had the use of gear disagreed, like they do.

Anyway, get back wire up and we play.
Main band come one and you guessed it, the bass players Trace elliot does what trace elliots do best.
Converts its self in to a smoke machine.
Over I walk, here mate, use my rig.
Really he says, why would you do that.
Because I said, Thats who I am and I refuse to let anyone change me, why should I, I like been me !.
He was rather Humbled to say the least. :unsure:

I had to lend my back up bass to a support band who thought they had had theirs stolen from the back of the car when loading out from the previous days festival....he looked after mine really well...it subsequently turned out that he had got totally hammered at the previous days festival and had given the bass to his girlfriend to look after...she took it home with her and forgot to mention the fact the following day!

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1413184471' post='2575485']
as long as they've proved not to be a pratt, no problem. It's only a bass. I always love it when people play my old '75 P bass, especially if they don't really play/like P basses. They always say how amazing it is.
[/quote]

That`s the way I see it. At a gig the bassist in one of the other bands dropped his bass, which had the lead in the jack socket, and it knackered it. He was alredy going to use my rig, and had shown himself to be a nice guy, very grateful, so no problems in letting him use my `78 Precision - which he was very complimentary of.