Why become a member? ×

Cultural Difference,The Tip Jar

blue

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1413098264' post='2574810']
Isn't tipping in the us just to subsidise lower pay ? Think beginning of reservoir dogs. You say this yourself whdn you observe the haircut pay situation
[/quote]

Well, I'm not sure. I really don't have a lot of hair to cut. she discounted the haircut price from $15.00 to $10.00. I figure she gave so I gave.

Subsidize lower pay? I guess, never looked at it that way. I don't do it for everyone or every service.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1413134922' post='2575185']
I don't think you have to tip anywhere regardless of the service. It's not mandatory.

[/quote]

You've not tried to get a second drink in a NYC bar after failing to tip for the first one then? :lol:

Any bar in NYC, it's a dollar a drink to the bar staff. Sure, you can choose to be a tourist and refuse to play, but you'll find that you just became invisible ...

I always thought it was a good deal for the bar owner the way the U.S run it... they could pay very low wages
knowing that the culture of tipping would make the money up and more than worthwhile for the staff and the
staff really have to work the 'tip' all on the basis of good service. The U/S is known for being more service orientated
and this is just an extention of it.

The culture here is more to price the job for the money you want and expect to walk away with that fee which
you were happy with. Of course, no one will likely turn down a bonus but they tend to be rare.
A pub might throw a tip if you have done exceptionally well for them but you then might expect that every time
which is why they tend to be rare..

One-off gigs like parties, might generate a tip but again no on expects one if they have priced the gig well.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413189869' post='2575527']
I always thought it was a good deal for the bar owner the way the U.S run it... they could pay very low wages
knowing that the culture of tipping would make the money up and more than worthwhile for the staff and the
staff really have to work the 'tip' all on the basis of good service. The U/S is known for being more service orientated
and this is just an extension of it.

The culture here is more to price the job for the money you want and expect to walk away with that fee which
you were happy with. Of course, no one will likely turn down a bonus but they tend to be rare.
A pub might throw a tip if you have done exceptionally well for them but you then might expect that every time
which is why they tend to be rare..

One-off gigs like parties, might generate a tip but again no on expects one if they have priced the gig well.
[/quote]

Great topic, if I say so myself.

Let me ad this, there is a direct correlation between tips and a gig. I notice the nights when the band is hot and hitting on all 6 cylinders our tip jar is a direct reflection of that night and the reverse is also true.

Ok, [b][i]Private Parties[/i][/b]. I'm not keen on the tip jar at private parties. I am not comfortable looking for tips from our clients personal guests.

Blue

Edited by blue

I've only come across this once - at a gig where we were playing.

I felt that the attitude that went with the bucket was uncomfortably pushy. If I's been an ordinary audience member, unless I was a big fan of one of the bands, I's have probably told them to stick it and gone to another pub.

Yep, I like topics like this as I think the gig dynamic fascinating. i,e what makes a band popular/good/ignored etc etc. in the eyes
of the punter. I mean, I'd back myself to know what I mean, but am often 'perplexed' at punters version...

Anyway, back OT.
Parties, ..? no one puts out a jar or hat at these dates, but someone may be grateful enough to put in a £50 or the organiser will throw in another £100.
Generally tho, it's when the band has played to its alotted time, and they want to extend the evening..

In clubs, because there is not really a tip culture, punters wouldn't like a hat/jar go round after paying to get in AND OTT drinks prices,
Basically, the only place a jar/hat would really work, IMO, is if the audience felt the band wasn't getting paid properly..hence jazz gigs because
no one thinks they pay well...
But IME, they don't pay any less that other gigs tbh.

I think that there is a significant cultural difference here. Just to point out, and my missus points it out often as she runs a tea room in a stately home, that in Britain people don't give tips to cafés, waiters, waitresses, etc. very often. She does point out that they give a tip to a coach driver on a day out but not to her and her team who prepare and serve the same people tea, sandwiches, cakes, etc.

I now that in the US that tipping is expected at restaurants.

I would say that probably explains the huge difference. I have never seen a band put out a tip jar at any gig.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1413271681' post='2576448']
I've only come across this once - at a gig where we were playing.

I felt that the attitude that went with the bucket was uncomfortably pushy. If I's been an ordinary audience member, unless I was a big fan of one of the bands, I's have probably told them to stick it and gone to another pub.
[/quote]

Cultural difference.

Our tip jar is not pushy or uncomfortable, as a matter of fact you really have to look for it. We don't pass it around or make mention of it ever. The people that tip do it because they want to.

When I'm out checking out bands, if I'm turned on I'm tipping.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413274171' post='2576477']
Yep, I like topics like this as I think the gig dynamic fascinating. i,e what makes a band popular/good/ignored etc etc. in the eyes
of the punter. I mean, I'd back myself to know what I mean, but am often 'perplexed' at punters version...

Anyway, back OT.
Parties, ..? no one puts out a jar or hat at these dates, but someone may be grateful enough to put in a £50 or the organiser will throw in another £100.
Generally tho, it's when the band has played to its alotted time, and they want to extend the evening..

In clubs, because there is not really a tip culture, punters wouldn't like a hat/jar go round after paying to get in AND OTT drinks prices,
Basically, the only place a jar/hat would really work, IMO, is if the audience felt the band wasn't getting paid properly..hence jazz gigs because
no one thinks they pay well...
But IME, they don't pay any less that other gigs tbh.
[/quote]

To be clear, my post is not about anything being passed around to customers, more or less putting them on the spot. I'm only referring to a tip jar being placed somewhere off to the side of the stage or floor where the band is playing.

The passing a tip jar around the room is another discussion.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1413322110' post='2577227']
To be clear, my post is not about anything being passed around to customers, more or less putting them on the spot. I'm only referring to a tip jar being placed somewhere off to the side of the stage or floor where the band is playing.

The passing a tip jar around the room is another discussion.

Blue
[/quote]
In the UK, in my experience, the hat or jar or bucket, if used at all, is either passed around or taken round. I've never seen it left at the side of stage.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1413323060' post='2577246']
In the UK, in my experience, the hat or jar or bucket, if used at all, is either passed around or taken round. I've never seen it left at the side of stage.
[/quote]

Another good example of a cultural difference.

Blue

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1413324907' post='2577270']
Personally I'd rather buy a CD/vinyl/T-shirt if I think the band are any good.
[/quote]

If I'm turned on, I'll tip and buy their CD and the t-shirt. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

[/quote]

For the obvious reason that we are - indeed - a nation of thieving bastards. Someone would hook a stationary jar in seconds and out the door faster than weasel sh*t.

It's not all Mary Poppins over here, Blue. ;) :lol:

[/quote]

If it were to be left at the side..it would be totally ignored.
The problem is also, who takes it round whilst the band is playing...
Over here, that is a thankless task..and would be even if for a charity
but at least the protocol would be 'established' and less stigma ( wrong word but..?? )
associated with it.

The culture is the U.K is not akin to tipping in general..and there is demarkation
about who can and who can't. Strange, I agree, but that is the way it is, IMO.

Acceptable models, IMO
Cabs,
Haircut.
Restuarants.
People working at your house..??

Not Acceptable
Bar staff or general service

So, for me, the line seems to be that if someone is working for YOU, then maybe a tip.
If someone is selling something, then no...
Ballpark...

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1413344688' post='2577329']
For the obvious reason that we are - indeed - a nation of thieving bastards. Someone would hook a stationary jar in seconds and out the door faster than weasel sh*t.

It's not all Mary Poppins over here, Blue. ;) :lol:
[/quote]

Hmm, I thought everything over by you guys was sort of like the Beatles movie " Hard Days Night". No?

Blue :D

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413360868' post='2577395']
If it were to be left at the side..it would be totally ignored.
The problem is also, who takes it round whilst the band is playing...[/quote]

Ours is actually a plastic Pabst Blue Ribbon beer pitcher with the word "Tips written on the front. There's money in it so people know what it's for. It's stationary, nobody passes it around and we don't mention anything about it.

It's obviously a different culture when it comes to tips.

blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1413403997' post='2578018']
Hmm, I thought everything over by you guys was sort of like the Beatles movie " Hard Days Night". No?

Blue :D
[/quote]

Yes, in the same way as all things your side are as in 'American Pie'. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

:P[size=4] [/size][size=4] :lol:[/size]