Why become a member? ×

Cultural Difference,The Tip Jar

blue

Do you guys in the UK put out a tip jar at your gigs. I think it's pretty common in the USA. In addition to our fee we always put out our tip jar.

On a good night it can mean an extra 20 bucks in everyone's pocket. I'm not to proud or above the tip jar. I can always use a 20.

I remember on 2 separate gigs an unknown couple gave everyone in the band $100.00 including our sound guy.

What is the protocol in the UK?

Comments or views on the "tip jar".

Blue

Edited by blue

I play two venues where the management passes round a bucket for contributions which we get on top of the comparatively small fee. It's never occurred to me to do it ourselves at other venues. Perhaps we should try it tonight at our Bikers Clubroom gig - last time they passed a bucket round for collections for one of their members who had just been sent down for a stretch at Her Majesty's pleasure, so they're familiar with the concept...

I've seen it a couple of times here in Edinburgh, but in both cases it's been instigated by visiting Americans! One is a guitarist who comes over during the Edinburgh festival each year who I do pub gigs with. It seems to work quite well, so I'm not complaining!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I've played regular gigs at three pubs where a hat / jug / bucket / whatever was part of the regular arrangement, usually on top of a £150 fee (we normally go out for£250).

At one venue the jug was taken around by someone with the band, and usually returned something at least half-decent, say £50.

At the other two, the jug was taken around by a member of the bar staff and the contents "counted" behind the bar before being given to the band.

Strange to relate, the amount given to the band always seemed to be a lot less than it looked when we saw the jug going round.

We no longer play those gigs.

At all.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1413011720' post='2574045']
I play two venues where the management passes round a bucket for contributions which we get on top of the comparatively small fee. It's never occurred to me to do it ourselves at other venues. Perhaps we should try it tonight at our Bikers Clubroom gig - last time they passed a bucket round for collections for one of their members who had just been sent down for a stretch at Her Majesty's pleasure, so they're familiar with the concept...
[/quote]
Funnily enough, I remember a very similar thing happening at a gig I did at a biker clubhouse a couple of years ago…!

Few years ago there was a couple of pubs where they would pass a hat round after you had finished to tempt you to do a couple more songs. This works well as by then most people are drunk and more generous. I remember being paid 60 quid as a solo artist about 15 years ago. Then the hat went round for me to do 2 more songs and there was nearly 100 quid in the hat!!!