Why become a member? ×

Jimmy Page: How we wrote Stairway to Heaven

John Cellario

Isn't the jury (almost literally) still out on how he wrote that song? http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/19/led-zeppelin-accused-stealing-stairway-to-heaven-opening

Seems a little weird now but Page was a big garage fan, ? and the Mysterians being a favourite of his.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1412977083' post='2573904']
Seems a little weird now but Page was a big garage fan, ? and the Mysterians being a favourite of his.
[/quote]
I would imagine that Page was introduced to a lot of what was happening music wise in the US at the time (mid 60s) through his relationship with Jackie DeShannon while she was here in the UK writing and recording. She had written numerous songs for groups at that time, also produced many recording sessions and had a great knowledge on what was happening stateside. She probably showed him a few licks on the 12-string as well.

http://youtu.be/ZsvVjrNNmRI

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1413026238' post='2574252']
IMO Page 'stole' the whole of STH in the same way that Bob Marley stole the whole of Buffalo Soldier from the Banana Splits. i.e. he didn't.
[/quote]

Inspired by this observation I just tried the 'Banana Splits Song' progression / riff with a loose, loping Marley-esqu rhythm. Works [i]good[/i]. :)

Put the words over the top and it drags the whole thing a bit calypso. Not so good. :(

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1413033094' post='2574354']
Is no-one gonna do the gag? OK, I will:

I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says a lot... :)
[/quote]

Rip Colin Grigson , class material never to be repeated

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1412980152' post='2573933']
I would imagine that Page was introduced to a lot of what was happening music wise in the US at the time (mid 60s) through his relationship with Jackie DeShannon while she was here in the UK writing and recording. She had written numerous songs for groups at that time, also produced many recording sessions and had a great knowledge on what was happening stateside. She probably showed him a few licks on the 12-string as well.

[media]http://youtu.be/ZsvVjrNNmRI[/media]
[/quote]
It's quite hard to imagine now how difficult it must have been to be exposed to new music in the UK prior to 1964. Radio Luxembourg was about it as far as radio went, anything everything else must have involved word of mouth or hanging around record stores.