Why become a member? ×

Compared my Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.2 with a Markbass SD800

far0n

...and the one weird thing I noticed was for the same discernable tone and volume, the Markbass amp physically moves the cones further. Same volume, same eq settings, but the Genz achieved the same volume with me barely noticing the cones moving at all. The Markbass had the cones flapping like hell. Anyone explain this ??

I think the Genz has a high pass filter on the input that cuts any very low frequencies, similar to a thumpinator. I'm unsure of the cut off frequency but I'm sure someone else will know.

It could be that the MB does not have this and so the very low frequencies are moving the cone more at volume?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1412941284' post='2573478']
There's nothing in the manual to say what the cut-off is, and interestingly the filter doesn't appear anywhere on the block diagram. It's definitely there though, and a great job it does too.
[/quote]

Yeah it's weird that there is no mention of it in any of the literature.... almost like it s a secret they don't want everyone to know...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1412943009' post='2573499']
It's in my manual I'm sure, from memory it's 80hz in normal mode and allows down to 37hz when you engage the LF button. This topic is always followed by an argument about why I have a five string bass if my amp only goes down to 37hz......
[/quote]

I have the same filter in my Peavey Tour head and with it engaged the B string sounds tight and clear without boom. The theory is that B strings generate a lot of boom in the 80hz frequency range so they cut it off to avoid it.

Edited by Mcgiver69