Why become a member? ×

Chic feat. Nile Rodgers at IndigO2 last night

Bo0tsy

[color=#222222]....All I can say is wow. First time I've been to see Chic live, they were fantastic. Very tight band. Jerry Barnes did a storming job playing Bernard Edward's basslines. IndigO2 was mobbed, everyone was up and dancing. I didn't appreciate just how many hits Nile Rodger's has written, as well as all their own stuff, Chic also played impeccable funky versions of songs by Madonna (Like a Virgin), David Bowie (Let's Dance), Diana Ross (I'm Coming Out), Sister Sledge (various), Daft Punk/Pharrell (Get Lucky), ixs (Original Sin), Duran Duran (Notorious), Soup for One segued into Modjo's Lady (Hear Me Tonight), and for the finale Good Times segued into Sugerhill Gang's Rapper's Delight. Only one complaint... it finished too early! (suspect Nile was off to join Pharrell who was playing next door at the O2), Did anyone else on this forum make it to the gig?[/color]

I am glad thy are still doing the rounds, and that Nile is still doing what he does and playing some great funky guitar, Jerry is great, but, MAN it really makes me miss Bernard, he made the simplest lines so funky and catchy and played so economically and he looked so damn cool doing it, I do miss that Brother.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1412964233' post='2573757']
I'd love to see them but it sounds quite weird saying Chic feat Nile Rodgers when he's always been in it. Like saying The Rolling Stones feat Mick Jagger.
[/quote]

But..... he even has to annouce to the audience that he produced/wrote all the songs the band plays so as people don't think they are a cover band...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1412970718' post='2573835']
This is a friend of mine Bernie Smith he's just done some gigs with Chic, Bernie's on the left he plays keys.
He gets about a bit!
[/quote]

Ha ha, my wife knows him. She used to serve him regularly in the Brentwood branch of HBOS. :D[size=4] [/size][size=4]Think he was playing with Annie Lennox at the time.[/size]

Sorry but never liked Barnes..I'm not expecting an Edwards clone but all the class those bass lines used to have is now hard to find.
Stereotype fills with a way too aggressive bass sound, his timing too sloppy every now and then, very cliché slapstyle and he asks for too much attention.
Edwards remains in a totally different league...

Sorry, just picked up on this after being away from BC over the weekend.

Yes, I went. Bloody hell, what a gig. Finally, my first time seeing Chic in the flesh. Been such a fan for years. As has been mentioned, you've gotta stand back and admire the contribution to popular music that Niles has made.

Re Jerry Barnes, sorry, have to disagree. I thought he was absolutely sublime. A totally monster player who, on this occasion anyway, was a star performer in a great live band rather than simply anchored in the back in the shadows showing everyone (or should I say a couple of bass players in the audience) some irreverent "chops".

There's no bigger Bernard fan than me and yes, Jerry is a more direct player but in the context of the band I saw the other night, he'll do for me.

I like him and since you can't have Bernard Edwards on the gig, you would likely get canned
if you tried and put in a clone. So, in this sense, he went for something different and I think it works.
I even like his slightly maverick style and he makes the band very exciting to watch/listen to.

This is always the same issue when a mainstay doesn't/can't do the gig anymore...
and I think the best option is not to try and replace him, and get someone in who can take
the band to a different place.

What is passed, is passed.

I have to admit that I saw the Glasto coverage last year and found it hard to watch because I thought the bass parts just sounded 'wrong' :(

I think Nile R is amazing, one of my favourite guitarists ever but this current version of Chic sounds a bit like a covers band to me (albeit a very good one!).

Based on the performance I saw last week, some of those comments about Jerry Barnes seem a little bit harsh :unsure:. Amongst the smooth Bernard-like bass grooves, I thought he brought an extra bit of funk to the party (and there's nothing wrong with that). He's always going to be up against it when replacing a legend like Bernard Edwards. If I could play anywhere near a third of his ability, I'd er,...well, ... I'd give up my day job! ;) . I do appreciate the point about them sounding like a Chic covers band, I mean they 'covered' a lot of songs by other artists that Nile wrote/produced. Also, given that they formed in 1976, line-ups are undoubtedly going to change a lot over time, however, IMHO the current line-up is one of the tightest bands I've ever seen play live.

Again 'm not expecting an Edwards clone but I missed the spirit and his groove regardless if it's Barnes or not....saw some gigs and his timing was sloppy and too much treble in his sound....didn't sound as smooth to my ears. Put someone like Paul Turner in that chair for instance, also not Edwards but more in the spirit.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1413294175' post='2576791']
Again 'm not expecting an Edwards clone but I missed the spirit and his groove regardless if it's Barnes or not....saw some gigs and his timing was sloppy and too much treble in his sound....didn't sound as smooth to my ears. Put someone like Paul Turner in that chair for instance, also not Edwards but more in the spirit.
[/quote]

PT often plays Bernard Edwards bass lines as part of his warm up routine :)