Why become a member? ×

Your favourite multi effects.? or single pedals..?

bubinga5

I prefer single effects. I like being able to just turn a knob and get the sound I want quickly. I also like that I can
take just what I need,or want.If all I want is an overdrive, i can just throw one in my gig bag without taking everything
else. I also like to swap and change pedals and change things around to try and get different sounds.

I have a B3 and I am happy with it. It does limit the number of effects you have but it does combine the easy editing ability of singles with the ease of storing your patches for different songs, plus it fits in a small bag and reduces the number of patch leads you need that will fail on you when you are in a hurry to set up!

Great topic!

25 years ago, in terms of gigging, I would have said; [i]"What do I need effects for?"[/i] Well, things change.

For me it's single pedals. IMO the digital multi effects are better for guitarists and for recording. The blue MXR Bass Octave gives a nice thick sound. I use it under guitar solos for a thick sound.

Keep in mind some pedals are not going to track the low E string very well. And Humbuckers hit pedals completely different than single coil PUs. My board is nothing fancy, appropriate for what I do, 4 hour bar gigs, Fairs and Festivals.

Give me old school stomp boxes.

[u][b]My Board[/b][/u][list]
[*]Line 6 G-30 Wireless Relay
[*]Korg Pitch Black Tuner
[*]MXR Bass Octave
[*]Boss Over Drive ( love this for a groovy sustain )
[*]MXR Phase 90 ( Phase Shifter, new, ill try it out this weekend )
[*]Digitech Bass Synth ( I actually use it in my solo in "Them Changes" )
[*]TC Electronics Mini Flash Back, dedicated delay ( new, I try it out this weekend )
[*]EBS Multi Comp., Compression ( stays on all night )
[*]TC Electronics Hall Of Fame Reverb
[/list]
Soft Case with storage.

The only effect I plan on adding to the board is a dedicated reverb.I am not sure how, when, or where I will apply it. Interesting , reverb seems to be one of the more expensive dedicated effects.

[i][b]10/17 , Reverb and delay additions.[/b][/i]

BTW, I highly recommend Voodoo Labs power brick for any pedal boards.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Oneandfive' timestamp='1413025532' post='2574245']
The ME50B is mostly great, but I agree with the earlier poster about the synth sounds. They're practically useless.
[/quote]

Agreed, I have a synth pedal in my board. I take a funk solo in [i]"Them Changes" [/i].I use it in one of the movements in the solo. Only time I use it. The thing does sound good.

Blue

Edited by blue

I prefer singles as well,
I have the EBS multi comp on the whole time, Love the quack I get from the MXR bass envelope filter and I have a Catilinbread SFT for OD when needed.
Recording it's mainly the Tonehammer pedal.

edit: (I should really remember the names of the pedals I'm using)

Edited by Highfox

I have a GT10-B and from not being into effects at all..that is quite a jump.
I've tried a ME50 quite a bit and that had one or two useable sounds but was a bit agricultural
so I ended up using it like a stomp box...

My current board is waaay too much for what I need and I can't be bothered to carry it
for just one or two sounds.. The best case I can make for it is to claim my space on stage :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413272967' post='2576466']
I have a GT10-B and from not being into effects at all..that is quite a jump.
I've tried a ME50 quite a bit and that had one or two useable sounds but was a bit agricultural
so I ended up using it like a stomp box...

My current board is waaay too much for what I need and I can't be bothered to carry it
for just one or two sounds.. The best case I can make for it is to claim my space on stage :lol:
[/quote]

The GT10B is amazing, I had one, it was just too heavy for me.

:)

There are a number of things about my individual pedals that I like:

I like that they are handmade by enthusiasts
I like that they are analogue
I like that they look cool and have cool names
I like the way you can swap pedals out and experiment

Oh, and I like the way they sound. I may well like how a multi unit sounds too, but it won't tick any of the above boxes

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1413372542' post='2577580']
There are a number of things about my individual pedals that I like:

I like that they are handmade by enthusiasts
I like that they are analogue
I like that they look cool and have cool names
I like the way you can swap pedals out and experiment

Oh, and I like the way they sound. I may well like how a multi unit sounds too, but it won't tick any of the above boxes
[/quote] I think you've summed that up perfectly. For me it's always been about individual pedals.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1412884687' post='2573053']
Singles. For the simple reason that they're easier to edit 'on the fly'. We've all been there, drummer's late so there's no time for a real soundcheck, and halfway through the first set you step on (what should be) the big box of doom/funk/wobble* and room acoustics turn what should be a mind-blowing aural assault into the sound of a peanut rattling round in an empty yoghurt pot. Times like that it's easier to fix it with individual controls than to start trying to find the correct submenu on an LCD display/3" screen...

* delete as applicable. Or play them all together :yarr:
[/quote]

I'm with Paul 5 on this one. I have the Roland GR6B and altho its a great piece of kit it is fiddly when things need changed in a live setting. I've now gone for individual pedals and currently using TC Electronics Delay and Reverb which are easy to adjust, have some presets and just give a nice unflavoured sound. Using an Aphex compressor because its a simple easy to use unit with only 2 knobs. Does a great job.

Dave

The Zoom MS-60B is ridiculously good for £75, it's also much, much more intuitive than previous generations. Or if you want something bigger, the Zoom B3.

I kind of did things the wrong way round as I bought a load of individual pedals at great expense, then got the zoom to mop up various effects that I didn't think I'd use very often. In hindsight it would have been better to get the zoom first as many of the effects are more than good enough, then fill in the gaps with a few individual pedals.

Hmm, I had LOTS of single effects linked together with a fantastic box of tricks called a Gig Rig, however occasionally the levels were all over the place, patch & power leads failed and a couple of stomp boxes didn't quite work with each other as i wanted.
Also, the case with all of the pedals in was REALLY heavy so I sold the lot and bought a Boss GT-10B. It is great, handy, sounds good and very flexible but the quality of each individual pedal & effect isn't quite up to par (but still very good).
I'm happy with the compromise of quality against ease of use / handy to have everything in one pedal but every now and then I do lust after some of the individual effects I had.
Saying that, I don't really go to town on my effects, they're subtle and not over the top so there's not much to go wrong.
For me, it always seems to be the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1413573817' post='2579835']
I'm really interested in this octave pedal from MXR.. anyone had any experience..
[/quote]

I use the MXR Octave pedal (3rd in my chain). It really thickens your sound. At gigs I keep the mid-range button on all of the time. It's great for a thick foundation under guitar solos.

Blue

Edited by blue

I use a MS60b along with a few standalone pedals. I wouldnt really know about the synths, i mainly use it for a [preamp > ampsim > noisegate] between my dirt pedals and my delay. Id agree that its best to get a multi as a newcomer into the effects world, just be careful as they are a whole new outlet for GAS…

[list]
[*]MXR Phase 90 ( Phase Shifter, new, ill try it out this weekend )
[*]TC Electronics HOF Reverb
[*]TC Electronics Mini Flash Back, dedicated delay ( new, I try it out this weekend )
[/list]
Well, I tried all my new pedals out over the weekend gigs. All good decisions. I found a nice reverb and kept it on all night very subtle as well as a tiny trace of delay (hardly audible). I uses the MXR Phase 90 on my solo and it kicked a$$.

blue

Edited by blue