Why become a member? ×

Discontinued cabinets - all gone!

tks.se

We have a few cabinets ready for shipping that we're offering a deal on for all Basschat members.

Only 1156 left (H115 sold, H112 on hold for local collection in Sweden). All three feature high excursion neodymium magnet speakers. They have the standard look: Black vinyl covering and metal grille. One of each in stock.

All prices include shipping within the EU.

[b]H112: £360[/b] (On hold!)

[b]H115: £450[/b] (Sold!)

[b]1156: £540[/b]

It's possible to add the optional tweeter if needed.

More information and sound samples can be found at the website:
[url="http://www.tks.se/"]http://www.tks.se/[/url]

As you can see from the website, these models are to be discontinued. The reason for that isn't that the cabinets have any shortcomings, just that we aim to keep a small stock of finished cabinets for the entire product range, and that wouldn't be possible with the number of models available today, so the least commonly ordered cabinets unfortunately had to go, for us to be able to offer better service in form of shorter waiting times.

Edited by tks.se

Thought I'd give a quick heads up on the H115 as I've been using one extensively for a few months now. Its probably one of the best cabs I've ever had, It was originally one of the demonstrators and WoT kindly helped out when I needed a cab. I liked it so much I bought it. Tommy was great to deal with and mailed me a new grille and badge (and even screws) as the ones on the demonstrator were not up to scratch as it is a prototype.

So what about the cab. Well its rated at 450w / 8 ohm. Very light (surprisingly so) and an easy one hand carry, Its a great shape / footprint and fits perfectly in my Golf. Its a great sounding cab on its own and changed my views on 15's. It has a big sound but it is very tight and focussed. Mine has a horn and sounds great slapped and is fast and responsive. I've used it in a few different blues, rock, funk and function bands with a range of heads and always had positive feedback on the tone - and its never broken sweat. The thing that stands out for me is its responsiveness to eq - especially mids, which can really cut through the mix if you want them to.

I've changed my view on 15's because of this cab. I use it regularly on its own but sounds immense paired with my Aguilar GS112 (which because of the H115's shape it places the top cab at a great height), Its a shame this one is being discontinued in favour of the smaller version.

If anyone is interested in one you might also want to check with WoT and Conan who have both also used it.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1412940838' post='2573475']
I'd be interested in a comparison between the Barefaced Compact and the H115.
[/quote]

Here's a quote from another thread:
[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386949794' post='2306747']
Well, I borrowed the cabs last saturday (thanks WoT!!) and got the chance to try them on wednesday.

First impressions - very nicely made. Good attention to detail and some interesting variations available. The two cabs I borrowed were the H115 and the 1126.

The H115 is, in some ways quite similar to my Barefaced Compact. It is a reasonably small, reasonably light 1x15 that uses (I believe) a Neodymium speaker. It also has a tweeter, which the Compact doesn't.

Soundwise, I really liked it. Despite disliking tweeters in general, this one sounds really "musical", and can be adjusted to taste. My taste is "off", but when I dialled it in it gave some very usable sounds. The overall sound is kind of "tight". No sloppiness, woolliness or any other the sounds that are deemed to be typical of fifteens! Very clear and very full-range. No shortage of anything really - but not as prominent in the midrange as my Compact (with which I compared it).

I would be very happy to own one of these cabs. At current conversion rates it would cost £515 (before shipping), which makes it broadly similar to a BF Compact.

(...)

Conclusion? I would be happy to own a H115. Great sound, and easily portable with the side mounted, recessed metal handles. The tweeter is a very useful addition, even though I would not use it with my current set-up. A few inches taller than my Compact, making amp adjustments easier. The 1126 does not suit my taste and style (if I have any!). It looks great, but the sound was just "wrong" for me. Great for guitar though!

Price-wise, these cabs are still quite pricey I would say. Maybe not in the Aguilar/Bergantino/Vanderkley type of bracket, but certainly up there with the "equivalent" Barefaced cabs. I like the variations that are available, and it would be nice to see BF go down this route in the future...

It would have been nice to have another bass player there to get some more objective views, but within the scope of this test I think I was pretty fair :)
[/quote]

I haven't A/B'd them, but I've gigged both the Compact and the H115.

(DISCLAIMER - my feedback is based on a limited run of gigs. Please bear this in mind)

They're both compact and light - the Compact has the edge as it's a smaller box, but the H115 is far from a hardship. It's still a one-hand carry over short distances.

I had mixed results with the Compact. At a couple of lower-volume gigs it was great. Like.. really nice, to the point where I could easily have handed my money over there and then. But at higher volumes, results varied. It seemed to lack authority. For the money, it would have to be a single-cab solution, but I just didn't feel like it was up to the task.

The H115 rang my bell from the off. Every note has a supportive punch behind it that always seems to be there regardless of volume. I usually had the tweeter dialled off or thereabouts, and even with flats the notes 'speak' clearly. And it's pretty sensitive, so despite my head only putting out about 175w into 8ohm, I never felt like I was struggling.

I came [i]very [/i]close to buying the H115 that JD1 now owns (in fact, I kept borrowing it from him after he bought it!), but for one reason or another I was pretty set on ordering the S212 I now own.

Reluctantly, I have to mention 'the elephant in the room' - the TKS looks and feels like a high-end bass cab. It's beautiful (like all Tommy's cabs), and the construction is solid and reassuring in an Audi / BMW / Mercedes kind-of way. And that's all I'll say about that. :)

Hope this helps...

[quote name='JD1' timestamp='1412921048' post='2573241']... Its a shame this one is being discontinued in favour of the smaller version...
[/quote]
I tried the new smaller version att Tommy's workshop two nights ago and ordered two, just like that, one with tweeter and one without. I got two of his 2126 already, so this setup will be perfect when light package is required. I am no fan of 15" cabs, had them for 30+ years and left in favour of 12" cabs. But - the size and tone of this 115 is a hit. The cabs will have the same appearance as my big ones: black tolex on the "body", crème tolex and 50's Fender brown grill cloth for the front, like my big ones:

The size of the new is sheer joy:

This must be one of the smallest and lightest 115 cabs around...

Edited by bassmayhem

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1414691793' post='2592358']
The looks, size and weight are amazing, i'm only sorry that in the newer series the port had to be sent to the back. I like a front firing port, add that to a S112 and i may just start saving money for two of those... ;)
[/quote]

The older version of the S112 (called 112, the S marked a few changes) had a front port, but moving the port had a few advantages. The main advantage is that you don't have a grille in the way of the air flow. Having a port behind the grille can cause unwanted noise, which is really simple to try our for yourself, compare how it sounds if you breathe out/blow air through some kind of mesh (even through your fingers if you don't have some kind of mesh close by) to if you remove it. As the air velocity increases, noise increases as well. The reason for the old version of the S112 not having the port on the rear side is that the paper tube port that was used wasn't as aesthetically pleasing, especially not if finishing the cabinet with vinyl. The new S112 uses a flared plastic port which looks a lot better and can be used in plain sight. Using a shelf port would also be an option, but the small S112 would either grow in height if using a front port, or get a side port which would make the S112 stand out from the rest of the product range, all using grilles all across the cabinet. Again, an aesthetic choice, a side front port would work well.

If you're worried about losses in tone, there's no difference. The frequencies in which the port contributes are heard no matter what direction the port faces. Try playing through a cabinet with the speakers facing you and then turning it around, the speakers facing the wall. Do you lose mid range? Yes, it's directional. Does the low end go away when turning the cabinet around? The low frequencies doesn't radiate directionally as the mid range.

If you're worried that you'll "suffocate" the port if placing the cabinet too close to a wall, that's not likely to happen. We've done measurements, and had to use angled speakon connectors to get the cabinet close enough to the wall to have the port affected by the wall.

Rear ports are quite a good solution when the cabinet needs to be small.

I understand all the theory but i had front and back firing cabs and in a small pub stage having a back firing port next to a wall only helped increasing the amount of boom on stage (i'm not into that, i like a mid-focused bass sound and let the PA worry about the bottom-end stuff), besides nothing beats that cool brise running up one's shirt after hitting a low note ;)

[size=4]I think that a shelve in conjuction with the grille/frame (see the 2x12/2x15 pic on bassmayem's post above) would look lovely and the extra height in the cab would only help bring a 2x112 setup closer to ear level. You should have this option available on your cabs ;)[/size]

You would need to have almost identical cabinets (exact same speaker, same cabinet construction/tuning frequency) with the only difference being the port locations to do a fair comparison. My guess is that the rear- and front ported cabinets you had weren't identical - different model/different manufacturers, is that correct? If you have a cabinet with a slightly "boomy" response, that "boominess" can become more prominent with certain placements in certain rooms, while a cabinet with a different low end response could be placed in the same spot without the same boom.

The port location is easy to spot, while all the main parameters which affect the tone/capacity of a cabinet are invisible to the eye, so it's perhaps the initial reaction to link the differences experienced to the port location.

The Bass Player Cooling Effect (TM?) is however harder to get with a rear ported cabinet ;)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1416039651' post='2606287']
I LOVE the 115. This can only be another flavour of that goodness.
[/quote]

I'm very excited by the musicality of the 15 used in this cab, and the 6 will just add lots of lovely detail without a tweetery sizzle :)

Edited by walbassist