Why become a member? ×

EHX Pitchfork!

1976fenderhead

The POG doesn't do any tracking. This is also a digital pitch shifter so - again - it won't do any tracking. So yeah, it will track just as well as the POG.

It could be pretty cool for people who want a compact Whammy that isn't a Whammy. I've got a Line 6 M pedal though and the pitch shifter in that is really, really good.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1412717822' post='2571409']
The POG doesn't do any tracking. This is also a digital pitch shifter so - again - it won't do any tracking. So yeah, it will track just as well as the POG.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.ehx.com/products/micro-pog"]http://www.ehx.com/products/micro-pog[/url]

"The Legenday and classic original POG won top awards from every major magazine on every continent for its flawless polyphonic [b]tracking[/b] and musical flexibility. The Micro POG delivers the same perfect [b]tracking[/b] and smooth polyphony in a simplified design. Now in a small pedalboard-friendly diecast chassis, the Micro POG delivers and will blow you away the first time you use it."

[url="http://www.ehx.com/products/pog2"]http://www.ehx.com/products/pog2[/url]

"Flawless polyphonic glitch-free [b]tracking[/b]"
"Steel guitar demo with the POG2 Polyphonic Octave Generator showing the pedal’s impeccable [b]tracking[/b]."

Those bloody EHX liars :P

Edited by 1976fenderhead

They're not tracking anything. Seriously. No digital pitch shifter actually detects the input pitch and matches its output to it. They simply take the input and perform a mathematical transformation on it and use that as a basis to resample it to modify the pitch.

Which is why every digital pitch shifter does the job in much the same way, the only difference being the output of the resampling algorithm and potentially some audible latency in performing the transformation which is a simple matter of processing time (which is obvious when it does not vary with pitch - if you've ever used an effect which genuinely *does* track pitch).

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1412719485' post='2571443']
does it really matter? ;)[/quote]

Yeah it does. People on forums are always arguing that one digital pitch shifter has better 'tracking' than another, and it's turning into one of those voodoo topics that everybody believes.

The difference in performance of these pedals are down to two things. One is the quality of the transformation function. The other is the performance of the hardware which runs the transformation function.

There is no tracking happening. The hard work involved in digital pitch shifting is much more subtle and faceted than that. If EHX are claiming 'flawless tracking' then they should be crediting every other company that produces a digital pitch shifter with the same performance, because they are all doing it equally well. Tracking is *not* a differentiating factor amongst pitch shifters.

does it really matter to anyone other than you?

as long as the blend control isn't too limiting (and the transformation function and hardware performance is as good as the uPOG), this looks great, and over on TB they're mooting a price of around $130, so colour me interested.

Edited by GazWills

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1412796026' post='2572216']'tracking' is the new 'biro' ;)[/quote]

I guess people really don't understand what pitch tracking is. Fair enough.

If I turned up the pitch control on your turntable and then declared 'Wow the tracking on that is perfect', you would think I was either being facetious or that I was insane, because all it did was speed up the rotation of the deck and obviously no pitch tracking is happening. Well, when you say that the tracking on a digital pitch shifter is perfect, you're making exactly the same mistake.

My one niggle with this is the lack of an overall volume control, or individual volume controls for each voice. What if I want to use full wet octave up but find it appears much louder than the dry sound? What if I want to mix in a bit of octave down but find the same thing?

If these things prove to be no problem though, I might even replace my octaver and have the option for octave up as well, for which I've used an additional pedal at times. I have to say I had no volume problems using the M5's pitch shifter when I had it, so maybe it will be fine.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1412804203' post='2572350']

If I turned up the pitch control on your turntable and then declared 'Wow the tracking on that is perfect', you would think I was either being facetious or that I was insane,
[/quote]
No I would be asking what the hell are you doing in my house.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1412846006' post='2572539']
My one niggle with this is the lack of an overall volume control, or individual volume controls for each voice. What if I want to use full wet octave up but find it appears much louder than the dry sound? What if I want to mix in a bit of octave down but find the same thing?
[/quote]

This is the sole reason why this pedal does not interest me, I had the same issue with their Hazarai pedal. Lack of individual volumes (or blend plus master volume) cripples their Bass Big Muff too.

• 1 month later...