Why become a member? ×

God Only Knows......ain't that the truth?

BetaFunk

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1412849887' post='2572609']
If it wasn't for the charity aspect, it'd have few if any redeeming features IMO. Right motive, wrong song choice.
[/quote]

Didn't know what all the fuss was about. Until I listened.

I am not a prejudiced man and - though some may believe otherwise - it is a [i]very[/i] rare day when I find myself reduced to sheer, choking rage

Let us set aside the ham-fisted arrangement, lumpy mix and turgid 'beat'. Let us quell the nausea we may have experienced upon viewing the soupy, simpering visuals which accompanied the 'music'.

Let us ignore issues of provenance and draw a veil over questions of faithfulness to the original.

The truth is that this performance of 'God Only Knows' is truly the most appalling piece of sh*t I've heard in a long life that includes enforced exposure to the [i]oeuvres[/i] of Paper Lace and Mr Russ Abbott. One may not even recline on the old chestnut of 'the valueless-ness of subjective opinion in musical criticism'. By every objective measure the song falls so low as to be skimming the bricks at the bottom of the sewer.

The fact that it is intended to support a charitable effort in no way detracts from its unutterable loathsomeness. In fact it makes it worse; if this is the best the BBC can do in a noble cause, God help us all when they aren't much bothered.

Stuff for charity doesn't [i]have[/i] to be half-arsed, y'know; the authenticity of the charitable transaction is not [i]undermined[/i] by professionalism, taste and talent.

In any event, it is immaterial whether a musical performance is intended to relieve - say - the suffering of the Thomson's gazelle or merely to line the pockets of its composer. A song's ulterior purpose is irrelevant to its inherency.

This being the case I shall now proceed to youtube, there to seek out 'The Horst Wessel Lied'. It may have been the Nazis' marching song but it's musically superior to this bloated, formulaic, self-regarding train-wreck. It will also make my ears vomit, the better to resume normal listening.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1412862368' post='2572774']

I am not a prejudiced man and - though some may believe otherwise - it is a [i]very[/i] rare day when I find myself reduced to sheer, choking rage

Let us set aside the ham-fisted arrangement, lumpy mix and turgid 'beat'. Let us quell the nausea we may have experienced upon viewing the soupy, simpering visuals which accompanied the 'music'.

Let us ignore issues of provenance and draw a veil over questions of faithfulness to the original.

The truth is that this performance of 'God Only Knows' is truly the most appalling piece of sh*t I've heard in a long life that includes enforced exposure to the [i]oeuvres[/i] of Paper Lace and Mr Russ Abbott. One may not even recline on the old chestnut of 'the valueless-ness of subjective opinion in musical criticism'. By every objective measure the song falls so low as to be skimming the bricks at the bottom of the sewer.

The fact that it is intended to support a charitable effort in no way detracts from its unutterable loathsomeness. In fact it makes it worse; if this is the best the BBC can do in a noble cause, God help us all when they aren't much bothered.

Stuff for charity doesn't [i]have[/i] to be half-arsed, y'know; the authenticity of the charitable transaction is not [i]undermined[/i] by professionalism, taste and talent.

In any event, it is immaterial whether a musical performance is intended to relieve - say - the suffering of the Thomson's gazelle or merely to line the pockets of its composer. A song's ulterior purpose is irrelevant to its inherency.

This being the case I shall now proceed to youtube, there to seek out 'The Horst Wessel Lied'. It may have been the Nazis' marching song but it's musically superior to this bloated, formulaic, self-regarding train-wreck. It will also make my ears vomit, the better to resume normal listening.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

So you didn't like it then?

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

Oh for a like button. Thanks Skank

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1412780439' post='2571971']

No, but this is............
http://youtu.be/Qgcy-V6YIuI
[/quote]

Ooh. I managed/played in a group in the sixties that had two young girls doing the vox. They covered this tune. Makes me go all wobbly to remember it. Thanks BetaFunk

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

Send it to the BBC!

God Only Knows how, but it gets worse: BBC Three have stuck it on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152500923475787 with the following description:

"Did you miss it? Here's the video that everyone's talking about: 'God Only Knows' by pretty much every single musician you’ve ever heard of."

Yep, pretty much, except for... um.... hang on, I'm sure there's someone...

Lest we be accused of being 'stuck-up, out of touch musos', I present below some comments from [url="http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/god-only-knows.166703/"]CycleChat[/url] - "a fun and friendly online cycling community":

[quote]
... what a b00dy awful version of a great song the BBC and so call 'stars' wasted their time on ....
A result less than the sum of it's parts.

Yes, the Beach Boys one was better. I think they should call themselves the Beech Boys because it's soooooo wooden.

Holy Sheiyte.... that's really sheiyte...really.. For the Love of Music?
For the Love of God more like..........

[/quote]

To be fair, a [i]few[/i] CC-ers like it in a tepid sort of way. But it's nice to know we BassChatters are not simply being driven by our proximity to the issue.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1412959821' post='2573710'] To be fair, a [i]few[/i] CC-ers like it in a tepid sort of way. But it's nice to know we BassChatters are not simply being driven by our proximity to the issue. [/quote]
Who likes it more in the cycling world. The lycra clad ones or the fixie/Rapha wearing types?

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1412975803' post='2573892']
Who likes it more in the cycling world. The lycra clad ones or the fixie/Rapha wearing types?
[/quote]

Speaking as a non-cyclist this remains unclear to me. A distinction may emerge as events unfold.

(...[i]totters off in mild bewilderment to google fixie/Rapha, gets muddled, has a nap[/i])

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1412981558' post='2573941']
Speaking as a non-cyclist this remains unclear to me.
[/quote]
Now i'm intrigued why you were on a cycling forum. :D

P.S. On saying that i do frequent a hang-gliding forum but the highest i ever get off the ground is when i go on the top deck of a bus.

Edited by BetaFunk

im not a fan of this kind of music but bashing something for not being as good as the original seems a bit pointless to me.

if you got nothing nice to say dnt say it! as i said in a earlier comment it erks me that no real rock acts were represented in the track thats really my only problem, i mean dave growl got one line!

andy

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1413047478' post='2574522']
Now i'm intrigued why you were on a cycling forum. :D
[/quote]

In the search for views representative of the 'civilian' majority I typed '[i]BBC God Only Knows Sucks[/i]' into Google and alighted upon the first site which seemed to offer the likelihood of a balanced response.

It could just as easily have been a hang-gliding forum or a community devoted to the care and feeding of terrapins. FWIW, neither of these subjects feature among my extra-curricular pursuits, the details of which I shall abstain from publishing, this being a family forum and whatnot. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1413049932' post='2574548']...details of which I shall abstain from publishing, this being a family forum and whatnot. :)
[/quote]

"Interests: Frills, gussets, elastic" Too late, Squire, you've been 'shopped'. ;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1413050136' post='2574550']
"Interests: Frills, gussets, elastic" Too late, [b]Squire[/b], you've been 'shopped'. ;)
[/quote]

:angry: FFS, will people never learn that it's spelt [i]Squier[/i].

As for the frills, gussets and elastic, they are merely a small selection of the wide range of requisites available from my dear little haberdashery shop 'Monsieur's Boudoir' and are representative solely of my professional interests.

As for what I get 'up to' in my spare time ... I shall draw a discreet veil over matters which are nobody's business but my own.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1413048927' post='2574533']
im not a fan of this kind of music but bashing something for not being as good as the original seems a bit pointless to me.
[/quote]
I certainly wasn't 'bashing' it because it wasn't as good as the original. If you think that then i think you have missed the point. I was 'bashing' it because they (especially the producer) have entirely missed the point and meaning of the song.

Edited by BetaFunk

andy
[/quote]

Releasing something thats not as good or better, or at least radically different seems pointless to me.

[/quote]

Generally I'd agree. But the "Perfect Day" single worked. It was a new idea and took a relatively obscure Lou Reed track and made it different. Whether you thought it was better than the original was irrelevant (it wasn't, by the way!)

The problem with the God Only Knows single is that the original is a fantastically well produced, iconic song by a well known band. This version isn't different, and certainly isn't a new idea. In short, the surprise factor that perfect day had is missing.

For me the best bit is how Dave Grohl really seems rather embarrassed to be there, surrounded by tacky school play-esque lightning bolts to show that he's [i]the rock singer[/i]. As for the rest of it, I'm amazed it's not a leak of this year's DebenhaM&S xmas advert. It's just overproduced to a point of utter blandness.