Why become a member? ×

God Only Knows......ain't that the truth?

BetaFunk

C'mon... it's not THAT bad!!

I just had a listen and expected something truly awful having read this thread. But it was just... well, 'ok'. Not especially brilliant, but not especially offensive either.

Worse things happen at sea. Like those horrific shanties. Terrible business.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1412796672' post='2572226']

Rather sanctimonious and judgemental if I may say :)
[/quote]

Come on don't bring the thread down, no ones suggesting the cause isn't great or being spiteful , it is was it is and you ain't going to be putting it on your to go playlist either , are you?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1412798699' post='2572255']
Come on don't bring the thread down, no ones suggesting the cause isn't great or being spiteful , it is was it is and you ain't going to be putting it on your to go playlist either , are you?
[/quote]

I'm not bringing the thread down :(

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1412800274' post='2572282']
My mate has just spent ages learning this for his solo acoustic set, with all the proper complex chords and everything, only to be ambushed by this. To say he's miffed doesn't really cover it....!
[/quote]
What is he 'miffed' about?

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1412780575' post='2571973']
Being really nasty about terrible cover versions is excellent fun in my book…it's a huge, slow moving target...
[/quote]

Well yes, but it's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel.

As for Bonio not being in it, he's probably too busy counting his recent Apple windfall . . . .

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1412802007' post='2572307']
Fair enough. I must have a higher pain threshold (or cloth ears!) because I've heard a lot worse :)
[/quote]
You may well have a higher pain threshold but i'm guessing that i'm a fair bit older than you and although i have also heard a lot worse as i've got older i'm a lot less tolerant than i was. :)

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1412802468' post='2572317']

Watching Jools Holland's show every week has raised your bad music threshold !!!!
[/quote]

Actually I DO watch Later every week... maybe I need to book myself in for a colonic irrigation, or something :D

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1412803478' post='2572335']
Now you mention Later, as Jools appeared in the video I was bracing myself for some boogie woogie but we were at least spared that :lol:
[/quote]
I think it must be in his contract that the Lord Boogie Woogie appears whenever a piano is on the Beeb.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1412811203' post='2572423']
there are an awful lot worse things out there.
[/quote]
....and i'm sure that if you listed them someone would say that there a lot worse things out there. ;)

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1412811203' post='2572423']
If it parts a few twits who don't know any better with their cash then that's job done as far as I'm concerned.
On that basis alone I can tolerate it's existence and as previously mentioned, there are an awful lot worse things out there.
[/quote]
I hardly think people who essentially give money to charity can be described as 'twits'..? Apart from that one word, I'm in broad agreement. If it wasn't for the charity aspect, it'd have few if any redeeming features IMO. Right motive, wrong song choice.

Edited by UglyDog

“Until now, only the death of a monarch or the outbreak of war was supposed to broadcast across all networks.
“Now, the BBC seems prepared to use that prerogative for its own propaganda and the glorification of its damply reorganised executive structure.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/god-only-knows-bbc-music-video-like-a-propaganda-film-made-by-a-dictatorship-losing-its-credibility-9783302.html

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1412779855' post='2571961']
This says it all for me...........
[media]http://youtu.be/_pO1xeRh0Ro[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks Beta, I had never heard this before - IMO absolutely amazing, almost perfection and it made me cry just listening to it.

The over produced Beeb version nearly made me cry for the opposing reason.

Each to their own, I guess.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1412853037' post='2572646']
Thanks Beta, I had never heard this before - IMO absolutely amazing, almost perfection and it made me cry just listening to it.
[/quote]
You're right, it is amazing. There's much more on the 4-cd Pet Sounds box set.

Those vocals are so wonderful that you soon forget there is no backing track.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1412851531' post='2572624'] “Until now, only the death of a monarch or the outbreak of war was supposed to broadcast across all networks. “Now, the BBC seems prepared to use that prerogative for its own propaganda and the glorification of its damply reorganised executive structure.” http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/god-only-knows-bbc-music-video-like-a-propaganda-film-made-by-a-dictatorship-losing-its-credibility-9783302.html [/quote]

But perhaps most importantly:
"The original concept was to produce an orchestral version of Iron Maiden’s “[i]Phantom of the Opera[/i]”, a seven-minute epic from the heavy metal band’s self-titled 1980 album."
Oh, how I [i]wish [/i]they'dstuck to that brief. It would have been utterly awful but at least we could have had a good laugh at their expense.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1412854247' post='2572662']
You're right, it is amazing. There's much more on the 4-cd Pet Sounds box set.

Those vocals are so wonderful that you soon forget there is no backing track.
[/quote]
Agreed. Quite stunning.