Why become a member? ×

October Composition Challenge - GET BUSY!

Skol303

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1413498991' post='2579055']...Here's mine...[/quote]

Hail, fellow; well met..! At last, some fresh blood (in a manner of speaking. Robots don't have blood, do they..? No, all right; I'll not press the point...).
False modesty, I'm afraid. There's nothing to bring about a blush in the execution of your piece. One shouldn't rush these things, you know; take one's time and do a proper job of it[sup](1)[/sup]. Still, you've done an excellent and worthy piece for our humble recreation. Welcome to our ranks; stand tall and be proud of your robot heritage. Here, want a cup of oil..?

[sup](1)[/sup] [i][size=3]Just to dispel any misunderstandings, that bit's a kind of 'in'joke; I usually pop a piece in after about 10 minutes..! Well, maybe a little bit more than 10 minutes, but not very long; you get the gist of it. I'm not really taking a 'pop' at you. I hope that's clear.[/size][/i]

Thank you! Although I usually have the black stuff in a pint glass.

What I skimmed over previously was that I'm going away for the full month of November and I have a lot of stuff to get ready, as well as the day job, so I know I won't have another minute to work on any music until December. Today was my last chance to do this and I would LOVE to spend more time on it 'cause I know I'll listen to it tomorrow and squirm.
I'll listen to it first, then the other submissions. I think that's probably the best way.

Still, it's my first one, so I've no standards to uphold, and my next (more studious) attempt can only be an improvement, so it's win-win!

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1413547498' post='2579386']
All very good stuff.
God I wish I could get to grips with recording music. I keep trying but spend most of my time buggering about with kit rather than actually using it & then getting frustrated & giving up.

I miss my old 4 track tape machine.
[/quote]
Thanks, and thanks for the 'promo' elsewhere, too...
If only you could see in what conditions some of us (I'm sure I'm not alone...) get this stuff done, I'm sure you'd take the plunge in confidence. Gear..? Kit..? If only... I'd probably be the same if I had zillions of options, too. Depending on inspiration, maybe have a go with something simple..? Come on, fumps, I'm sure you can do something simple. No, simpler than that. [i]Really [/i]simple. Go on, prove me wrong. Dare, double dare..? No..? Oh well... :([size=4] [/size]

[size=4] :lol: :P[/size]

I have done two solo bass pieces using nothing more than a Zoom H1. I have done one with a solo VST cello and one with a two piece VST ensemble using tuba and vibes. It doesn't have ot be all bells and whistles. I actually think some of the compositions with all the tricks and technology are some of the worst in that there is no core 'idea', just a lot of 'stuff'. Just think about what you want to do and make it happen in the easiest way possible.

After unsuccessfully trying to finish something within the time limit for several of the earlier challenges, I finally have at least a sketch of a song to show for the october compo. I hope it is not the last time, because I definitely need to work on both my composition and recording skills. Looking forward to checking out everyone else´s contributions!

https://soundcloud.com/alibabu/glowing-eyes

Well, I have, and I'm listening to it again right now. 'Bloomin' 'eck..!', as they say they say in some quarters. Yet another spin, yet another totally quality work. Excellent, entirely in remit (we ask for composition, 'snormal that we get composition...), but at this level..? There, it's finished. Never mind, I'll play it again, Sam. Far too short (although it is also said one should leave them asking for more...).
There, it's been set off again. Good. Nothing but glowing praise for Glowing Eyes from me. Well done, that man.

Thanks a lot, both of you! Always good to feel welcome, and it is hard not to around these parts of the Basschat city:-).

After listening to the other entries this morning, it is pretty obvious that we all have seen a lot of the same movies, hehe. Lots of similarities between the soundscapes, which will probably make it even harder than normal to pick a winner this month.

Just a quick reminder for those still with 'work in progress'...

[color=#a52a2a][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Sunday 26th October.[/b][/color]

[size=3]Yes, that's tomorrow..! [/size][size=3]There's still time, but not much..! ;)[/size]

Edited by Dad3353

Just finished my compo for this month… phew.

Nice picture from Bilbo to work with. My mind’s eye saw the robot as a helpful machine that’s getting patched-up after a tough day; akin to the automatons from sci-fi's such as The Iron Man and Castle in the Sky. I tried to get across the idea of something mechanical/electronic, whilst capturing some of the epic ‘steampunk’ theme (quite literally involving steam trains in my case! There’s a first time for everything).

Link here:

http://soundcloud.com/skollob/youmanoid

Some of you may recognise the ‘Humanoid’ sample from the 80s rave hit of the same name :) [i][a perfectly apt smiley face].[/i] It’s a public domain clip taken from the video game Berzerk, which involved dodging killer robots in a maze whilst avoiding a bouncing smiley face known as Evil Otto. Yeah, you really had to be there.

[color=#800000][size=5][b]Voting will start tomorrow![/b][/size][/color]

I’ll be posting up the voting thread in the morning, so there’s still time if you’re planning on burning some midnight oil to get your track finished.

Very keen to hear them all.

Cheers folks,

Paul